Author Topic: My bum is sore  (Read 7006 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
My bum is sore
« on: 01 August, 2008, 12:32:35 pm »
I have a very sore bum, saddle sores/spots on both sit bones  :'(

How can I speed up their going away?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: My bum is sore
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2008, 12:38:39 pm »

Voltarol cream or arnica cream?

But i'd look it to what caused the sore bum.  Maybe you need a different pair of padded shorts or a different seat more matched to your seat bones.

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2008, 12:40:08 pm »
I've always found Lanes Tea Tree and Witch Hazel cream to work nicely - a bit more effective than Sudocrem.

But i'd look it to what caused the sore bum.  Maybe you need a different pair of padded shorts or a different seat more matched to your seat bones.

With me, cycling causes the spots. :(  Different shorts, saddles, position, etc. don't seem to fix it.  Just keep everything as clean as you can.

Jacomus

« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2008, 12:46:52 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll get some of that tea tree stuff on Saturday.

Lynx - I know my shorts and saddle are fine, its just that the skin has had it too good recently! I've been off the bike for 8weeks and gone right back to 35miles a day. The skin just needs to man up.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2008, 12:49:13 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll get some of that tea tree stuff on Saturday.

Lynx - I know my shorts and saddle are fine, its just that the skin has had it too good recently! I've been off the bike for 8weeks and gone right back to 35miles a day. The skin just needs to man up.

Ah you are a braver man than me.

In that case maybe something with a local anesthetic would be better ;)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2008, 01:19:19 pm »
Come round to mine - I have magic hands....  :P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jacomus

« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:25:15 pm »
Come round to mine - I have magic hands....  :P

It's not the effect of your hands I would worry about!

:-*

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:27:57 pm »
Assos chamois cream!  :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Jacomus

« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:29:32 pm »

Ah - no showers at work, baby-wipe clean up in the mornings only.

Tiger

« Reply #9 on: 04 August, 2008, 12:49:44 pm »
I find surgical spirit works a treat in cooling and cleaniong the sit-spot sores. Over time it does toughen up the skin a bit too.
Also - don't shave your arse.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10 on: 04 August, 2008, 12:52:17 pm »

I tried the baby wipe route and found it unsatisfactory, plus I don't really like the smell of them.  The best way I found to get clean in a shower-less work place is to carry a sponge in a ziploc bag.  Go into the loos to change, half filling the bag with warm water before hiding in the stalls.  Use sponge (and soap, you did remember soap didn't you?) to ablute then empty bag down the loo, squeeze out sponge and place all back in bag, closing off and stashing it in your rucksack.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jacomus

« Reply #11 on: 04 August, 2008, 12:58:25 pm »
I find babywipes work really well, provided the sweat is still wet.

I have bought some WitchHazel gel and was loving having Emily put it on my sore-spots, but now we are apart again for the week I shall have to do it myself  :(

Seems to be working nicely

« Reply #12 on: 04 August, 2008, 02:36:43 pm »

A couple of glasses of single malt (for internal application), lots of heavy breathing and a razor blade or big needle.

« Reply #13 on: 08 August, 2008, 07:28:04 am »

I tried the baby wipe route and found it unsatisfactory, plus I don't really like the smell of them.  The best way I found to get clean in a shower-less work place is to carry a sponge in a ziploc bag.  Go into the loos to change, half filling the bag with warm water before hiding in the stalls.  Use sponge (and soap, you did remember soap didn't you?) to ablute then empty bag down the loo, squeeze out sponge and place all back in bag, closing off and stashing it in your rucksack.

Blimey.  It was sooooo long ago when I had to do that I'd forgotten all about the sponge.  I must've been posh 'cos I carried two bags so I could have fresh, un-soapy water for a rinse off  :D

« Reply #14 on: 08 August, 2008, 07:33:26 am »
Have you now got saddle height correct or are you still 'reaching' a bit ?   

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:28:32 am »

Ask Emily only to use the paddle on the back of your thighs?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Jacomus

« Reply #16 on: 08 August, 2008, 03:24:55 pm »
They are nearly gone now thank you everyone for your help - I've got some Minty Arse Lard coming, I'll give that a try see what happens.

« Reply #17 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:06:17 pm »
Have you now got saddle height correct or are you still 'reaching' a bit ?   

That is what I was going to ask after I read the other thread about saddle height.

Dirty Uncle Greg

« Reply #18 on: 11 August, 2008, 05:56:08 pm »

Nowt to do with me... and if you say it was, I'll sue.

P.S.  I owe you some sweeties.....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 07 August, 2009, 10:31:06 am »
I too have had an unexpectedly sore bum.  Nothing to do with my Dirty Uncle Greg, I'm sure, but I don't know what caused it.

I sweat a lot when I'm riding, it's true, and I think salt has caused a bit of a problem, but I didn't even do 40km yesterday, FFS! ::-)  Usual bibshorts; normal saddle; everyday route.

I whinged a bit, but that didn't help, so I searched for some Savlon, but no luck.  At Butterfly's suggestion (despite her sympathy, which was welcomed, she was probably bored of the whinging), I used J*A*S*O*N Witch Aloe gel - a mix of Witch Hazel (a stick of which I carry with me all the time, but I hadn't thought of trying :-[ ) and aloe vera.  Very soothing, and seems to have cleared things up pretty much.  I mean, I wouldn't want to head off on a long ride today, but last night, I was considering  - the horror - taking the train to work :o

Worth checking out.  We got ours from As Nature Intended, the hippy supermarket in Balham.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 07 August, 2009, 10:31:49 am »
btw, do you realise how careful you have to be searching for a thread on this topic?
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 07 August, 2009, 04:00:15 pm »
I too have had an unexpectedly sore bum.  Nothing to do with my Dirty Uncle Greg, I'm sure,

I'm sure you'd remember if it was.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #22 on: 07 August, 2009, 04:03:38 pm »
I too have had an unexpectedly sore bum.  Nothing to do with my Dirty Uncle Greg, I'm sure,

Roofies anyone?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #23 on: 07 August, 2009, 04:04:30 pm »

Roofies anyone?

Roofies are so 1980s...  its GHB for the win!   :demon:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

inc

« Reply #24 on: 08 August, 2009, 06:55:49 pm »

You can clear the spots up fast with Benzoyl Peroxide. It comes in various strengths I used a 10% solution, bought from Boots called PanOxyl Aquagel10. But be beware it will take the colour from any material it touches. I now have some quite attractive boxers in tie dye style but it works very fast. Obviously no good for abrasion type saddle sore just the spot sort.