Author Topic: Guardianistas - sandals & fixed  (Read 6789 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Guardianistas - sandals & fixed
« on: 07 August, 2008, 04:57:02 pm »
Well, maybe not the sandals bit so much, but the Two Wheels feature today is by someone putting their toe in the fixed wheel water...

Getting there...

Re: Guardianistas - sandals & fixed
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2008, 04:59:13 pm »
I'm a convert to "singledom", but for now retain the ability to freewheel.

Shrug shoulders in a gallic fashion...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2008, 05:00:57 pm »
I'm a convert to "singledom", but for now retain the ability to freewheel.

Shrug shoulders in a gallic fashion...

It's an odd line to give considering saying in the final line that, "My new fixation with the fixie is swiftly turning into a full-blown addiction."

T'aint a 'fixie' (and god that's over-used in the column) if it can freewheel...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2008, 05:02:08 pm »
I said toe in the water, and he does say he wants to go the whole hog.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2008, 05:22:26 pm »
Riding single-speed is not "putting a toe in the water" of riding fixed, ie not on the way to riding fixed, nor is it trying fixed for bit. The whole point about fixed is there's no freewheel.

edit:
Riding single-speed freewheel is not "putting a toe in the water" of riding fixed, ie not on the way to riding fixed, nor is it trying fixed for bit. The whole point about fixed is there's no freewheel.

Yeah I know "single-speed" now usually means "single-speed freewheel", but I thought I'll make it clearer in the context of this thread.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2008, 08:01:52 pm »
Truly said.  It's the no-freewheel and direct control thang that makes fixed fixed.  It's not having one gear - and not uber simplicity or brakelessness or a ratty beard either. ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 07 August, 2008, 09:30:51 pm »
I know all that, but nonetheless, he explains the attraction of fixed, has clearly tried it himself, and i am sure there are a lot of fixed riders that have come via ss.
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 07 August, 2008, 11:13:31 pm »
I noticed the poor to incorrect advice about braking regulations.

Someone ban the word 'fixie'. Please! When I ride fixed I'm a fixer — if I need describing by drive-train choice at all.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 08 August, 2008, 07:52:15 am »
Someone ban the word 'fixie'. Please! When I ride fixed I'm a fixer — if I need describing by drive-train choice at all.

No! I like it.  It's cute and follows the standard English pattern of "ie" as an affectionate diminutive. 

Someone ban jargon curmudgeons!  ;)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:18:29 am »
If we banned fixie then we'd be banning fixie chicks and I'd be a Sad Panda  :(
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:28:13 am »
Grumble, grumble...end of language as we know it...grump, grumble</oldfart>

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:34:56 am »
If we banned fixie then we'd be banning fixie chicks and I'd be a Sad Panda  :(

fixie chicks is ironic, innit ?

I mean, no-one uses it seriously.  Do they ?

I'm with the curmudgeon on this.

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:38:45 am »

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:41:33 am »
Not mine.

I hate the use of fix in that way.  Last time I looked "fix" was either a verb or a solution to a problem - not a bicycle.

About the only irritating thing about the otherwise-excellent 63xc.com was the way that Will always changed the terminology  to US-messenger standard :(

If I'm riding fixed, it's fixed, as Ian said

Also (while we're being all unreasonable ;)) I'd say fixed wheel not fixed gear.  That was always the standard British usage. 

rae

« Reply #14 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:46:38 am »
Someone ban the word 'fixie'.

Hmmm.  A friend of mine refers to them as "Shoreditch tosser bikes".   Perhaps that would be better.     He rides one himself, but he doesn't live in Shoreditch.

Chris N

« Reply #15 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:48:59 am »
Also (while we're being all unreasonable ;)) I'd say fixed wheel not fixed gear.  That was always the standard British usage. 

Actually, that's a good point.  Fixed gear could be a singlespeed freewheel.

« Reply #16 on: 08 August, 2008, 09:06:00 am »
Riding single-speed is not "putting a toe in the water" of riding fixed, ie not on the way to riding fixed, nor is it trying fixed for bit. The whole point about fixed is there's no freewheel.

Indeed... hence my shrug!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #17 on: 08 August, 2008, 09:14:58 am »
A friend of mine refers to them as "Shoreditch tosser bikes". 

It's true they have the ability to toss the rider off unseat an unwary rider.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:27:54 am »

Gets my vote.  It's hard enough to get Mike Burrows to shut up at the best of times, but get him onto the word "fixie" (or, come to that, 'bent) and he goes into full-on loon mode.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #19 on: 08 August, 2008, 11:09:03 am »
A singlespeed is also a fixed-gear bicycle.

A fixie is a fixed-gear bicycle with fixed sprockets (not fixed gears, fangdammit!)

Or something  :)

border-rider

« Reply #20 on: 08 August, 2008, 11:58:44 am »
A singlespeed is also a fixed-gear bicycle.

A fixie fixed wheel bicycle is a fixed-gear bicycle without a freewheel fixed sprockets (not fixed gears, fangdammit!)

Or something  :)

Not all SS are fixed, but all fixed are fixed-wheel

;)

« Reply #21 on: 08 August, 2008, 12:00:21 pm »
I read that article this morning while I was eating breakfast - I knew as soon as I'd finished it that there would be a thread on here about the fixie/singlespeed terminology used.

Can we not just be happy that there's some positive stuff about cycling in the national press? :( It's the Guardian, not Cycling Plus: to expect perfect detail in what's ultimately a general publication is perhaps asking too much. There's no such thing as a perfect newspaper.

I look at it this way: the small errors and lack of clear distinction between freewheeling singlespeed bikes and fixed gear singlespeed bikes (that's how I think of it, anyway - singlespeed as a term which encompasses both fixed and freewheeling bikes with one gear, whereas fixie/fixed gear/whatever only works one way) really doesn't matter that much. The only people who are likely to pick up the difference are those who are already fixie/fixed gear/fixed wheel riders, and so those who already know the distinction anyway. And for those readers it wasn't as if the article was ranting about singlespeed/fixed riders jumping red lights knocking down peds. No, it portrayed both types of riding (and just riding in general) in a positive light, and was generally interesting.

The average reader without that prior knowledge who reads the article is unlikely to even notice the lack of distinction. For the majority, it's just something to read while they drink their coffee.

If they do notice, and they're interested enough to care (and I doubt very much the lacking fine details about the differences between fixed and singlespeed would have a bearing on whether or not they became interested) they'll inevitably just Google "fixie" during their lunch break. Maybe even another fixed gear rider, maybe even just another cyclist will result from this, which can only be a good thing. It's not as if it's going to make them think "What ho! I'm not entirely sure about the subtle (to the average non-cyclist, at least) difference between these apparent two types of bicycle: this small lack of knowledge has rendered any potential desire I had to ride such vehicles totally destroyed! I shall make sure to avoid any such information on this topic in the future, lest my knowledge should become slightly more unclear.". If anything, it's going to make them want to find out more.

It's a newspaper column with limited space after all; for all we know it could have been hatched by a tired sub ed who wanted to go home and eat. Just look at how annoyed Giles Coren got.

For what it's worth, I really do think that singlespeeding is a step on the way to riding fixed, at the very least so more of a step then riding a bike with multiple gears. In both instances, for example, you have to plan ahead (or at least I do, that may just be due to living in a very hilly area!) if you know a big hill's coming up, to pick up the momentum and make sure you get to the top. Maybe that's just me, but I'm sure there are more similarities between singlespeed and fixed than geared and fixed, ergo riding singlespeed is a step (even it's only a small one) on the way to riding fixed. IMHO riding with one gear is a very big part of riding fixed.

What I gathered was that he'd given both a try, but old habits of freewheeling die hard and meant that, for now at least, he's stuck singlespeed. Despite that, in his words, he's well on his way to "shaking off the freewheeling habit altogether" - so he's slowly being (or has been, it's just that he himself hasn't made the final step, hence the mention of a flip-flop wheel) converted to fixed riding. It's not as if he's only tried singlespeeding and from that alone is advocating riding fixed. He's clearly tried both, mentioning the feeling of 'oneness' that comes with riding fixed.

That turned into a bit of a rant didn't it? :-\

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #22 on: 08 August, 2008, 12:03:23 pm »
Well, maybe not the sandals bit so much, but the Two Wheels feature today is by someone putting their toe in the fixed wheel water...

Well, if one insists on reading the Grauniad... ::-)

;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 08 August, 2008, 12:04:55 pm »
Thank you.  I'm relieved I'm not alone in my view.

I'm really happy that an interesting and arcane part of our sport/pastime/lifestyle option/whatever is getting a positive airing in the national press, and maybe it'll persuade a few more people to have a go, and find out what fun it is.

It's reasonably well informed.  It's not by an evangelical road warrior too cool for brakes.  It's by a cyclist who's curious, and wants to share his curiosity with us.

I welcome it, and I thought others might.
Getting there...

Chris N

« Reply #24 on: 08 August, 2008, 12:14:10 pm »
mecwales and clarion, of course you're right - it is good to get positive coverage of a minority (and sometimes maligned) aspect of cycling.