Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286508 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Sorry, it's just my sense of humour.

Stranger Things is definitely the scariest, weirdest thing I've seen in years and it's so well acted.  And it's set in the 80's with loads of lovely cultural references from that time.  I absolutely love it.
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The whole thing's an exercise in 80s nostalgia - including the underlying daftness.  If you don't get that, then I don't think there's all that much left to appreciate.

I found it compelling enough for that reason, but I'm not sure how it comes across to other generations.

Found on my occasional visits to Al Jazeera - "Risking it All" a series of sort-of cinema verite with some compulsive viewing of the lengths some people go to in their daily lives.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..
« Reply #1078 on: 31 October, 2017, 09:49:48 am »
The whole thing's an exercise in 80s nostalgia - including the underlying daftness.  If you don't get that, then I don't think there's all that much left to appreciate.

My wife didn’t get why I laughed when Dustin described Dragon’s Lair as “overpriced bullshit”.

I’ll tell you what’s daft: expecting us to believe anyone ever actually got that far in the game.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
That's a beauty. Hope it goes well beyond the forecast price bracket.

Fell 500 quid short of the reserve price. Bollocks!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ian

I found it compelling enough for that reason, but I'm not sure how it comes across to other generations.

Rather weirdly for those of us who lived it, the 80s seems to be the generation. Even people who were born after still seem to fixate on the 80s. The other week, minions number 89345 and 14854 from the subdeck were caught dressed up for a 80s fancy dress partly. Assuming they're not knocking back the elixir of youth at these parties, neither of them experienced the decade.

It's almost like The Birdy Song never happened.

ian

This, by the by, is perfect if you want some awesome on your giant ultra HD TV. Some breathtaking footage. Now that is rain.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/incredible-time-lapse-video-monsoon-iv

Brings back memories of the road to Kingman, Az,   miles of riding with no shelter and this huge black thing heading towards me....... :jurek:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
This, by the by, is perfect if you want some awesome on your giant ultra HD TV. Some breathtaking footage. Now that is rain.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/incredible-time-lapse-video-monsoon-iv

:thumbsup:

Duly pinched.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.

Rather weirdly for those of us who lived it, the 80s seems to be the generation. Even people who were born after still seem to fixate on the 80s. The other week, minions number 89345 and 14854 from the subdeck were caught dressed up for a 80s fancy dress partly. Assuming they're not knocking back the elixir of youth at these parties, neither of them experienced the decade.

It's almost like The Birdy Song never happened.
Never mind your minions, the 80s and late 70s and 90s are currently cool among teenagers. But surely it's normal that each generation creates a cool fantasy version of a decade it never lived through?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

I don't. But then can anything compete with Rock Me Amadeus and 99 Red Balloons?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I don't. But then can anything compete with Rock Me Amadeus and 99 Red Balloons?

Yes.  Yes, there is.  That film of Cream's farewell concert at the Albert Hall, wherein the camera operator spent almost the entire gig trying to get his lens up Jack Bruce's nose.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

I don't like the 70s but then all I remember is Radio Rentals TsV, the debut of colour and the first ever colour being beige (there was a petition for orange), and getting bit by a ferret. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
I just realised - it's ten years since Shibboleth was in the Turbine Hall at Tate Modern.  It was a wonderful work, I found it profoundly affecting, seeing it was an experience I'll never forget.

We need it to come back - that message is even more needed now.

Ten years though.  Good grief.

http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/exhibition/unilever-series/unilever-series-doris-salcedo-shibboleth

ETA:  It's still there, scarring the floor, though I didn't make a point of looking for it last time I was there.
Milk please, no sugar.

citoyen

I just realised - it's ten years since Shibboleth was in the Turbine Hall at Tate Modern.

Crumbs. That makes me feel old.

I was working in the office block next door at the time and I used to regularly go in there during my lunch break. I remember the day it opened, I went in there not knowing anything about the work, just that the new Turbine Hall installation was opening that day, and at first I thought I'd made a mistake - it looked totally empty. Then I noticed people looking at the floor...

I know what you mean about it being profoundly affecting.

Ai Weiwei's Sunflower Seeds and Olafur Eliasson's Weather Project were both similarly moving in their own ways. They've had some good stuff in the Turbine Hall over the years.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
I just realised - it's ten years since Shibboleth was in the Turbine Hall at Tate Modern.

Crumbs. That makes me feel old.

I was working in the office block next door at the time and I used to regularly go in there during my lunch break. I remember the day it opened, I went in there not knowing anything about the work, just that the new Turbine Hall installation was opening that day, and at first I thought I'd made a mistake - it looked totally empty. Then I noticed people looking at the floor...

I know what you mean about it being profoundly affecting.

Ai Weiwei's Sunflower Seeds and Olafur Eliasson's Weather Project were both similarly moving in their own ways. They've had some good stuff in the Turbine Hall over the years.

I'd love to have stuff like that round the corner from me.  That would be one of the top reasons to live in or near London.
Milk please, no sugar.

Just found an excellent web site, I always like reading stuff set in places I'm going to, this site is the answer to my hapless googling (which doesn't really work as well as you think it might)

https://www.tripfiction.com/

I can't allow the passing of David Cassidy or Rodney Bewes to go unrecorded on this forum.
Cassidy was one of those guys you just loved to hate. Good looks, good voice a TV show etc etc. Where did it all go wrong?

Bewes was an unlikely star but "Whatever happened to the Likely Lads?" was comedy gold,penned by Dick Clement and Ian le Frenais
 I hope it gets a rerun now that Bewes has passed away.
There is one classic episode involving the lads cycling to Berwick.

Met Rodney Bewes once when our boat trailer was blocking his Rolls in after a rowing event. He was very nice about it.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Call Me by Spagna and Japanese Boy by Aneka?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

That would be one of the top reasons to live in or near London.

It's undoubtedly one of the top things I miss now I no longer live/work in London.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I have just given my sister a copy of the Oxford Carol Book, as I had two. The copy I gave her used to belong to our mother and she was given it by the woman from whom our brother bought his house. The inside sheet bore both addresses, which were about 200 yards apart. My parents' house was demolished 16 years ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Our choir's concert next term is an all-Mozart affair. We are singing the C minor Mass and we have an orchestra and soloist performing the Clarinet Concerto. I have just ordered a copy of the Mass. I hope I've got the right edition! We normally go for Novello if there's one available.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Sort of Ents related. TLD was asked, as were her peers, at school to write a Christmas poem.

They were then entered into a school wide competition.

The top 5 from each year, was entered into a local competition.

TLD won her year group!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State