Author Topic: CTC rebranding  (Read 55216 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
CTC rebranding
« on: 15 August, 2013, 04:59:06 pm »
The CTC are sending out an email inviting people to take part in a survey on "refreshing the brand."
CTC is beginning a consultation process to consider refreshing our brand. This may mean a new way of describing ourselves and our services, a new look and feel, a new way of using our name - or even a new name altogether.
One or two of the questions suggest they might be considering dropping the "Touring" part from the name. Or maybe not...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: CTC to change their name?
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2013, 05:16:38 pm »
Here's a suggestion: change the name to Cyclists' Touring Club.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2013, 05:23:42 pm »
I think it still is called that (on the bottom of my renewal letter) although on the website and letters logo it appears to be
CTC the national cycling charity.

« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2013, 05:45:48 pm »
Yes just filled that questionnaire in, to be honest if they change the name that will be the final straw for me!

They have been fucking around with the CTC for so long now it seems Head office are going in a completely different direction to the local groups I am a committee member with.  I will be happy to call it a day and just get more involved with my local Audax club.

Shame really, over a 100 years of cycling tradition pissed away for a PR exercise  :facepalm:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2013, 05:52:22 pm »
Yes just filled that questionnaire in, to be honest if they change the name that will be the final straw for me!

They have been fucking around with the CTC for so long now it seems Head office are going in a completely different direction to the local groups I am a committee member with.  I will be happy to call it a day and just get more involved with my local Audax club.

Shame really, over a 100 years of cycling tradition pissed away for a PR exercise  :facepalm:
I think AUK are in danger of a similar strategy. So far, steady hands have hung onto the tiller, but I do have my fears.

Currently both organisations still do more-or-less what I want, most of the time - if you ignore the PR!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2013, 05:55:31 pm »
I seem to have dropped off of the email list, anyone know how I go about getting put back on?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2013, 05:56:51 pm »
One of the questions is "Do you know what the initials CTC stand for?" If you tick yes, it then asks you to write it out in full.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2013, 06:05:00 pm »
I hate to say I told you so...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2013, 06:16:11 pm »
I filled it in -----
Prefer old badge - tick
Like local group activities - tick
Over 60 - tick

Verdict - another senile old dinosaur we can ignore.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2013, 06:16:29 pm »

Yes, but for me it's the local group that's the "real" part of CTC. Weekend or evening rides with a bunch of people (yes sometimes you!) are for me the essence of the CTC. Everything else - campaigning, insurance, magazine, etc - is just an extra, usually welcome but not needed IMO. From that pov changing the name would be both pointless and irrelevant. A harmless waste of time and money. Are people put off by "Touring"? If they are, does it matter?

I'd miss the Winged Wheel though.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2013, 06:19:39 pm »
I filled it in -----
Prefer old badge - tick
Like local group activities - tick
Over 60 - tick

Verdict - another senile old dinosaur we can ignore.
Verdict might be "We're already appealing to the people who are our members, we need to change in x way in order to bring in new people."

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2013, 06:33:08 pm »
I hate to say I told you so...

That is an egregious lie.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 16 August, 2013, 10:54:18 am »
I think they should refresh the brand.  Retro is most definitely in, so what about the logo in an old-fashioned script, and representing the freedom of cycling for all by attaching wings to an image of a wheel.  Shouldn't be too hard for an intern to photoshop together.
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 16 August, 2013, 11:01:32 am »
I think they should refresh the brand.  Retro is most definitely in, so what about the logo in an old-fashioned script, and representing the freedom of cycling for all by attaching wings to an image of a wheel.  Shouldn't be too hard for an intern to photoshop together.

Then they could get some plates made, enamelled, or cast-iron, say, and stick them on the walls of cycle-friendly establishments, or is that just silly?!

www.  Winged Wheels for the Win!

« Reply #14 on: 16 August, 2013, 11:04:49 am »
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
 :thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 16 August, 2013, 11:06:24 am »

Then they could get some plates made, enamelled, or cast-iron, say, and stick them on the walls of cycle-friendly establishments, or is that just silly?!

www.  Winged Wheels for the Win!

What a fabulous idea!  Very modern, affiliating establishments like that.  Perhaps they could also 'Like' them on Bookface.
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #16 on: 16 August, 2013, 11:15:08 am »
I think company and organisation names are important so I believe its right that the CTC should be considering dropping "Touring".  It would be interesting to know how many CTC members actually tour, not many I suspect, I am a CTC member but rarely tour  :'(

I filled in the questionnaire and indicated I liked the winged wheel logo but wasn't against a name change.

As an aside, I used to work with The Carphone Warehouse long after they finished selling carphones.  They had similar debates about dropping "Carphone" from their company name.  In the end they opted to keep it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #17 on: 16 August, 2013, 11:28:49 am »
Names are important, it's helpful if they give a clue as to what an organisation does or intends to do. Carphone Warehouse is a relevant example because everyone knows what they do even if their name is on the face of it misleading. (I wonder if anyone still goes in there looking for a car phone? Somehow I doubt it.) I think the CTC has long passed the time when it was only interested in touring - in fact I wonder if there ever was a time when that was its exclusive interest - but both it and British Cycling seem to be going through a sort of identity and mission crisis; trying to expand to cover all sorts of cycling and appeal to everyone who sets bum on saddle. Logically there can only be one winner of this race to ubiquity - Sustrans...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #18 on: 16 August, 2013, 12:14:33 pm »
Names are important, it's helpful if they give a clue as to what an organisation does or intends to do. Carphone Warehouse is a relevant example because everyone knows what they do even if their name is on the face of it misleading. (I wonder if anyone still goes in there looking for a car phone? Somehow I doubt it.) I think the CTC has long passed the time when it was only interested in touring - in fact I wonder if there ever was a time when that was its exclusive interest - but both it and British Cycling seem to be going through a sort of identity and mission crisis; trying to expand to cover all sorts of cycling and appeal to everyone who sets bum on saddle. Logically there can only be one winner of this race to ubiquity - Sustrans...

The winner of all this will be British Cycling.

BC has got a good PR team, who are working with a skilled membership department, and they are targetting family, commuter and utility cyclists.  They're also becoming far smarter at representing all cyclists - not just the racing snakes - and they are listened to in Whitehall, Cardiff and Edinburgh.

BC's long term membership is growing at a rate of knots in contrast to CTC's decline in numbers.  BC has stolen a march on CTC.

The one things that really marked CTC out was the support for touring - the route database in particular.  However, this part has been neglected and, with wider acces to internet based mapping and routing programmes, this aspect of CTC's USP is fast disappearing.   About the only thing or person of any real unique value left in CTC  as a USP now is Chris Juden.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #19 on: 16 August, 2013, 12:41:28 pm »
Presumably the CTC will now be known as the somewhat less snappy

IFoTPG

Insured Families on Towpaths Pressure Group

Except there is a problem collecting the $$$ for the membership.  So they are better off attracting grants from government and then claiming back tax as a charity

So presumably they will be known as

Sustrans

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20 on: 16 August, 2013, 12:50:52 pm »
The only problem with BC is that they are rather pro-helmet.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #21 on: 16 August, 2013, 12:59:46 pm »

I doubt that's a big factor in the mind of the Great British Public if and when they are looking for an organisation to represent their cycling interests, or for someone to inform them on cycling issues. CTC is probably still ahead as the go-to organisation for road cycling commentary, but its position is slipping fast and BC are, as Reg said, much more pro-active in doing things that the GBP see and appreciate. Even as a member, I'm not really sure what CTC is for nowadays; it's not really a club (I don't ride with a DA group), it's not a meeting-place, it doesn't seem to care too much about the lot of the rural cyclist (but no-one else does either!). A re-brand? Does anyone care?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22 on: 16 August, 2013, 01:05:52 pm »
I haven't noticed BC or Sustrans organising local rides every weekend. It's that local social side which I value. personally. Road clubs do it too, but too fast (for me! and way too fast for the people who go on the 'easy rides' to ever contemplate it) and without the cafe and/or pub aspect. Audax rides don't happen with the same regularity and, again, have more of a performance (though not speed) emphasis (though they can be easier and funner rides than a CTC ride of same distance).

Insurance is often mentioned as an attraction by people eg on here, but I don't know how big a pull it is for new members.

Trouble with the morph of CTC and BC is that they will both end up sort of Sustrans Plus. There's room for all three organisations without entering each other's areas.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 16 August, 2013, 01:08:19 pm »

I doubt that's a big factor in the mind of the Great British Public if and when they are looking for an organisation to represent their cycling interests, or for someone to inform them on cycling issues. CTC is probably still ahead as the go-to organisation for road cycling commentary, but its position is slipping fast and BC are, as Reg said, much more pro-active in doing things that the GBP see and appreciate. Even as a member, I'm not really sure what CTC is for nowadays; it's not really a club (I don't ride with a DA group), it's not a meeting-place, it doesn't seem to care too much about the lot of the rural cyclist (but no-one else does either!). A re-brand? Does anyone care?
Only a small proportion of the membership does, AFAIK. I don't suppose all of BC's members are involved in racing but I expect it's the majority.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #24 on: 16 August, 2013, 01:10:52 pm »
I like the insurance, the magazine and have recently come to value their affiliate scheme for clubs.  If I recall full membership costs sub £50 a year and I think I receive good value for money.