Author Topic: The Bike Show - Audax  (Read 9183 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: The Bike Show - Audax
« Reply #50 on: 08 November, 2013, 06:48:09 am »
The podcast in this OP is very much Talk Radio. It's like a R4 program (some of which use brief bursts of music). Perhaps the problem is the confusion/overlap of genres.

This is clearly a personal thing (cos Ian gaggia. likes it!), but: IMO if you're going to have a lot of music, the music needs to stand up by itself. It can't just be filler, made up of tunes the presenter quite likes. It has to be good enough that the listeners wouldn't mind just listening to the music. I think some podcasters in particular are wannabe DJs who would like to THINK they can put together a music programme, but then advertise to those interested in the talk content.

EDIT2: it's not true that you can skip thru the music. It's not video!

EDIT: @citoyen - clearly if you really like the musical content, then you're their perfect customer! But it's gotta be rarer e.g. a program for cyclists - a minority - that depends on you liking a particular subset/genre/slice of music. But all just MHO ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #51 on: 08 November, 2013, 08:11:56 am »
Well, speaking for myself, I pretty much always like Jack's music choices for their own sake.

The other Resonance podcast I listen to is Little Atoms, which doesn't have music. It used to have a Kittiwakes song as its theme tune, which I loved, but many listeners hated it so they ditched it. Boo!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #52 on: 08 November, 2013, 08:24:12 am »
It occurs to me that the thing non-audaxers really don't understand is the non-competitive/social aspect of audaxing.

I could say much the same thing for some long standing AUKs....
You're only saying that cos you've never won one.

(I think I'm suffering a touch of Flatus)

« Reply #53 on: 08 November, 2013, 08:27:44 pm »
http://thebikeshow.net/high-tech-high-stakes-sturmey-archer-story/

:)

Another excellent podcast, not least because the closing music is one of my favourite tracks from my favourite band.

(A Lilac Harry Quinn by Half Man Half Biscuit, in case you're wondering)
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #54 on: 08 November, 2013, 08:55:26 pm »
Just seen this, time to refresh the ipod!

I've been enjoying his podcast for a good while now. A lot of the music choices have a cycling theme in them.

« Reply #55 on: 09 November, 2013, 05:39:14 am »
http://thebikeshow.net/high-tech-high-stakes-sturmey-archer-story/

:)

Another excellent podcast, not least because the closing music is one of my favourite tracks from my favourite band.

(A Lilac Harry Quinn by Half Man Half Biscuit, in case you're wondering)

As they say in Hollywood, "Music maketh movie".

The storyline, cast, script and cinematography all could be shite, but if the music is good, it will sell.

« Reply #56 on: 21 November, 2013, 07:52:03 am »
The latest show started with responses from listeners, which Jack Thurston had invited, to the Long Distance Cycling episode.  Well, one email response, in fact, which was read out in full, and you could tell why.  It was John Spencer’s (I think that was the name) description of being sucked into long distance cycling by a bunch of Audax-minded chaps in the Portsmouth area – I wonder who they might have been – and a determination to do the Wessex series after his initial experiences on the Wylie and Ebble Valley 200.  It was an inspiring accountl.  Were I not already a long distance cyclist I would be tempted to become one having listened to that.  Well done John, if you’re reading.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #57 on: 21 November, 2013, 10:27:08 am »
The latest show started with responses from listeners, which Jack Thurston had invited, to the Long Distance Cycling episode.  Well, one email response, in fact, which was read out in full, and you could tell why.  It was John Jon Spencer’s (I think that was the name) description of being sucked into long distance cycling by a bunch of Audax-minded chaps in the Portsmouth area – I wonder who they might have been – and a determination to do the Wessex series after his initial experiences on the Wylie and Ebble Valley 200.  It was an inspiring accountl.  Were I not already a long distance cyclist I would be tempted to become one having listened to that.  Well done John Jon, if you’re reading.

Cheers  :thumbsup:

I will pass this on.

H

P.S. Name changed to protect the innocent.

hillbilly

« Reply #58 on: 21 November, 2013, 11:40:52 am »
It almost made audax seem like a sensible thing to do  :thumbsup:

« Reply #59 on: 21 November, 2013, 08:41:29 pm »
The latest show started with responses from listeners, which Jack Thurston had invited, to the Long Distance Cycling episode.  Well, one email response, in fact, which was read out in full, and you could tell why.  It was John Jon Spencer’s (I think that was the name) description of being sucked into long distance cycling by a bunch of Audax-minded chaps in the Portsmouth area – I wonder who they might have been – and a determination to do the Wessex series after his initial experiences on the Wylie and Ebble Valley 200.  It was an inspiring accountl.  Were I not already a long distance cyclist I would be tempted to become one having listened to that.  Well done John Jon, if you’re reading.

Cheers  :thumbsup:

I will pass this on.

H

P.S. Name changed to protect the innocent.

Thanks chums :thumbsup:. Just listened to the podcast and was very excited to hear my account on air.  Shame it wasn't Blue Peter - I might have got a badge  ;).

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #60 on: 21 November, 2013, 10:23:52 pm »
Or a night out with Valerie Singleton  :smug:

H

« Reply #61 on: 21 November, 2013, 10:34:03 pm »
Shwing!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #62 on: 17 November, 2017, 06:42:21 pm »
A couple of podcasts that may be of interest:

https://soundcloud.com/therouleurpodcast/rouleur-podcast-september-richie-porte-and-michael-smiley
The clues's in the URL! Smiley is a bit of a cult idol having found fame through his cycle courier character in Spaced. He says some interesting stuff about cycling; life as a courier, comparison with his other sporting loves (footy and boxing, unusually). And some stuff about Porte's rather nasty crash in the tour.

(incidentally, I can't find a site other than iTunes that allows download of their latest episode. )

And the generally reliable Cycling Podcast - which tends to focus on pro racing - is trying out a "Brevet" series on Endurance Racing:
https://soundcloud.com/the-cycling-podcast/around-the-world-in-78-days

(guess who the main interviewee is!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles