Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 303294 times)

IBM mainframe at Rover in 1965 had all of 8kb. We wrote FORTRAN II programs, input on punched cards to predict vehicle performance, and design torque converters.

ian

I have a vague recollection of the Vic-20, which had a 5k RAM pack that wobbled on the back and fell off if you got too excitable playing a game of Blue Meanies.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
My ZX81 had 1k until I bought it a 16k RAM Expansion.

Which wobbled...
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

I like to think someone at Amazon is currently struggling to heft a 750 GB RAM pack into the back of a server.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I like to think someone at Amazon is currently struggling to heft a 750 GB RAM pack into the back of a server.

It's the size of the lump of blutac needed to stop it wobbling that's the issue...

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
My ZX81 had 1k until I bought it a 16k RAM Expansion.

Which wobbled...

Likewise, until my father made a holder out of some wood that firmly wedged it all together! No more wobble!!  :-D
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

ian

It's the size of the lump of blutac needed to stop it wobbling that's the issue...

Just shove some beer mats under it.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
This is so ludicrous it's funny.  The calculator accessory in my installation of Mint 20 (KDE Plasma) doesn't map the mouse clicks to the UI elements properly.  Click '3' displays '6'.  Press the '%' key displays '1', but *only* after you've pressed a.n.other number button.  I don't know what was used to build it but I've seen similar issues where there's a left / right mismapping on the toolbar so that clicking the close button maximizes the window on apps reporting as 'python'  so I'd *guess* GTK or Qt.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

The calculator that KDE provide (Kcalc) works fine (well it does in Arch). Never had an issue like that.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
My work laptop decided to die while it was in the middle of an update, IT reckons the OS is borked.
Can I get a loaner while you fix that one then?
No, none spare.
How do you expect me to do any work then?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Join the club  :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
It better not take that bloody long...

From the Grauniad's cartoons, which made oi smile.

ian

I tried to make this joke once in a Teams meeting with just the two of us awaiting the failure to of the other invitees to attend.

He simply left the call.

Don't worry, I'm here all season.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
It’s the sprouts we have to worry about.  Hot brassica action on Pr0nhub.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Funny-shaped carrots emailing pictures of themselves.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Not often The Register gets a mention, or link on here.  I find this strange as so many of us work in IT....

https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/02/zwift_suspends_digital_dopers/

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

That was reported forever ago- it's hardly news.

Love how the comments eventually get to KEEP tHe LycRA lOUTS oFf teH RoaDS !!!1!1

Cockles on Instagram influencing billions.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
The calculator that KDE provide (Kcalc) works fine (well it does in Arch). Never had an issue like that.
Ta. Not part of this distro, I'll go have a look.  For now I'm dropping into command line and using bc -l if I can't be bothered to dig out my calculator out of my desk.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Pingu fixed (well, he did the final 10% but I did all the legwork) the latency problem on our Harmony remote control which has been grinding my gears for the last couple of months.
Everything turns on instantly rather than it having a delay of 25s  :thumbsup:

(The reason it won't connect to the internet remains unexplained but he doesn't care as long as he doesn't have to power cycle the router. And I don't care now the remote responds less glacially).

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
And you got your work laptop back.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Yay.
I think  :-\

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
No, really, ROBOCOPY, if I ask you to copy those (large) .zip files from [here] to [there] there is absolutely no need to recreate the (empty) directory structure of the rest of [here] as well.  Because there’s tens of thousands of sub-sub-sub-folders down there :(  Plus a handful of .zip files that I never knew existed.

Happily
Code: [Select]
ROBOCOPY “[there]” “[there]” /S /MOVE
nukes them in a satisfactory, if time-munching, manner.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime