Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 473147 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1475 on: 26 January, 2017, 03:28:32 pm »
Ouch.
I'm not sure that 16 weeks would give full normal strength though. Hard calcification but not full strength.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1476 on: 26 January, 2017, 04:08:24 pm »
Best wishes HK. That's horrible news.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1477 on: 26 January, 2017, 10:50:07 pm »
My innards are troubling me. I've been having intermittent bouts of Bristol stool chart 5s and 6s with noticeable urgency for ages now, but put it down to my sertraline. But I've been on the sertraline 18 months and the innards problems are getting worse - I'm shitting multiple times a day, I'm having unpleasant gnawing pain in my mid abdomen sometimes, followed by a 3-4 on the stool chart, crampy growliness in my lower abdomen at times, and lots and lots of urgency followed by more 5s and 6s. And when I say urgency, if I lived on the 3rd floor instead of the 2nd, I'd have a lot of cleaning up to do. So I'm off to the GP tomorrow.
Outpatient appointment is next week, but it's not a colonoscopy appointment, just an appointment.
Good luck! Gut problems are horrid xxx
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #1478 on: 27 January, 2017, 08:39:08 am »
Get well soon HK just remember that summer is on its way.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #1479 on: 27 January, 2017, 02:41:58 pm »
Eye lasering on Thursday to correct my -1.75 myopia and astigmatism.  Looking forward to it in a funny kind of way.
Amazing.  Best money I've ever spent.

« Reply #1480 on: 27 January, 2017, 02:54:37 pm »
HK fractured a shoulder on ice yesterday. The previous break in September should have healed to normal strength by now but it has broken in the same place. Some bone density investigation or suchlike seems necessary IMHO.

Crikey - sorry to hear that. It's not been a good few months for the pair of you. Good healing wishes in any case.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1481 on: 27 January, 2017, 04:23:38 pm »
The voodoo dolls seem to be working quite well recently. This too shall pass.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1482 on: 27 January, 2017, 07:07:03 pm »
Mend soon, HK.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1483 on: 28 January, 2017, 11:26:07 am »
First cold this winter.  I suppose being cooped up on a coach for 4 hours and then attending a conference with 3,000 people was going to do it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1484 on: 29 January, 2017, 07:04:05 am »
GWS HK - gutted for you
Eddington Number = 132

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1485 on: 01 February, 2017, 08:20:32 pm »
My innards are troubling me. I've been having intermittent bouts of Bristol stool chart 5s and 6s with noticeable urgency for ages now, but put it down to my sertraline. But I've been on the sertraline 18 months and the innards problems are getting worse - I'm shitting multiple times a day, I'm having unpleasant gnawing pain in my mid abdomen sometimes, followed by a 3-4 on the stool chart, crampy growliness in my lower abdomen at times, and lots and lots of urgency followed by more 5s and 6s. And when I say urgency, if I lived on the 3rd floor instead of the 2nd, I'd have a lot of cleaning up to do. So I'm off to the GP tomorrow.
Outpatient appointment is next week, but it's not a colonoscopy appointment, just an appointment.
Bloods taken and I have to send in some poo. Might mix a cat turd in there for a laugh. Consultant was really nice.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1486 on: 02 February, 2017, 05:45:29 pm »
I am on gabapentin for my sciatica. The bloody foil on the blister packs is sufficiently thick for me to have cut my thumb on it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1487 on: 02 February, 2017, 06:40:51 pm »
Had my MRI scan yesterday and was amused by how loud those things are! Definitely not like on TV!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aj2QspPf7s

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1488 on: 02 February, 2017, 06:42:13 pm »
Had my MRI scan yesterday and was amused by how loud those things are! Definitely not like on TV!

It's because they aren't using the magic sound-deadening curtains they make cubicles out of on Casualty.

« Reply #1489 on: 02 February, 2017, 07:36:19 pm »
I wonder if I can get hold of the images...Would be neat to get a 3D model and then print it out :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1490 on: 02 February, 2017, 07:40:56 pm »
Take a USB flash drive to the appointment and ask nicely.

« Reply #1491 on: 02 February, 2017, 08:09:38 pm »
I wonder if I can get hold of the images...Would be neat to get a 3D model and then print it out :-)
Ask at the hospital. There's a form to complete and a charge of £10. You'll receive it on a dvd.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1492 on: 02 February, 2017, 09:58:54 pm »
An old college friend of mine had a hip replacement a couple of weeks ago and is due another in March. I suggested that she ask for her old hip joints back, embed them in blocks of perspex and use them as book ends.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1493 on: 02 February, 2017, 11:38:16 pm »
Still waiting to see consultant after having MRI scan on my left knee in Jan 2017 (awaiting 5th operation on it since 1996).
Also had xrays on arthritic joints in left hand a week after the MRI scan, and await advice on what happens next.

« Reply #1494 on: 03 February, 2017, 11:58:29 am »
Hmm, presently suffering from (possibly stress induced as a result of jaw clenching) unilateral temporomandibular joint dysfunction. This is affecting my ability to masticate, and my enjoyment of the results of same.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1495 on: 03 February, 2017, 01:31:08 pm »
Hmm, presently suffering from (possibly stress induced as a result of jaw clenching) unilateral temporomandibular joint dysfunction. This is affecting my ability to masticate, and my enjoyment of the results of same.

Sympathies.  I had that quite badly in my teens.  Saw a maxillofacial bod who poked around, blamed exam stress and told me not to chew gum(!).

Eventually cured by leaving home.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1496 on: 09 February, 2017, 10:08:24 am »
Having struggled with this bloody depression for about two years now, today I've given in and asked to be signed off. The emotional demands of the work are taking every last bit of me, and I need some time away from it. So I'm off for three weeks and with any luck by next week I'll have the reserves needed to start doing the things that help me get better.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1497 on: 09 February, 2017, 10:25:08 am »
Good luck EG, I hope the break gives you the chance to recover.

« Reply #1498 on: 09 February, 2017, 10:29:52 am »
Yes. Best wishes.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1499 on: 11 February, 2017, 10:40:45 pm »
My audiology department are pretty brilliant!

Saw me within 5 minutes at drop-in clinic to hand in broken hearing aid.
Gave me useful info about hearing aid going out of production and upgrade path.
Agreed to book me in for a hearing test at my request as I haven't had a proper one for ~9 years and several organisations won't accept the last audiogram copy I have which is dated 2005.
Showed clue about balance problems and listened to me explaining my currently visual issues and were able to confirm I'm too complex for them and it's reasonable to ask GP to refer me to neuro-something.
Posted me a hearing test appointment letter within 4 days for early March.
Arranged a successful repair of one of my hearing aids in under 10 days.

I already sent a "compliment" through the hospital's main website. I'll be emailing them to confirm aid is successfully repaired and thank them for the astonishing speed!

I still remember the 90s when repairs took months cos the aids had to go back to Sweden!