Author Topic: 135 BCD middle chainring  (Read 2154 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
135 BCD middle chainring
« on: 07 December, 2014, 12:45:02 pm »
I'm looking to replace the gubbed middle chainring from a Campag Racing Triple. Campag ones are like hens' teeth and priced at £howmuch?  :o
The likeliest substitute I've found so far is a TA from Tweeks Cycles:http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/road-chainrings/ta-campag-135-bcd-chainrings
Before I click on "add to basket", does anyone know of a better deal?   
Tweeks seem to get good enough reviews in the Retailers section here,  TIA.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: 135 BCD middle chainring
« Reply #1 on: 07 December, 2014, 12:52:27 pm »
I'm having a clearout of miscellaneous chainrings in the for Sale section.

There might be something you fancy.

ETA: Just checked. There's a 39 in stock https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=86450.0
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2014, 12:58:11 pm »
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2014, 01:54:33 pm »
Eck, I have an unused middle ring from a record triple, probably 42T (I'd have to check) plus other assorted part used ones. You're welcome to come and have a rummage and make an offer.

« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2014, 02:21:09 pm »
I'm having a clearout of miscellaneous chainrings in the for Sale section.

There might be something you fancy.

ETA: Just checked. There's a 39 in stock https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=86450.0

Oooh... if Eck doesnt want it I'll have it.   
I usually stay out of the For Sale section.... it's far too tempting  ;D

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2014, 02:39:01 pm »
TBH, having looked at torlslanda's stuff I was very tempted, but you go ahead PpPete. I'm really looking for a 40t.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:08:20 pm »
Might as well resurrect this thread to show that I've had a search.

I've removed the big ring from my campag triple to use the chainset as a super compact like wot 531colin did. I'm trying out ratios and will probably go 42/28 (it's on my trendy bikepacking/cross rig so doesn't require big boy's gears which I rarely push anymore anyway - even on my speedybike). The 42 ring I'm presently using is however rather knackered, but as it's effectively my outer ring now, what ring should I go for to replace it with? There's a difference in price at Spa between TA's inner and middle rings, but is there any actual physical difference, i.e., in ramping and whatnot?

Will also consider Stronglight Zicral, or if Maverick is still around and still has his Record middle......I'm certainly interested

Surely it's not beyond the brains of the chainset manufacturers to start making super compacts of some description again. Sugino XDs are stupidly expensive and there's only so many Stronglight 80/90 units in existence. Having to convert a triple feels like such a cludge in this day n age. </harrumph>
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:58:25 pm »
<...>
Surely it's not beyond the brains of the chainset manufacturers to start making super compacts of some description again. Sugino XDs are stupidly expensive and there's only so many Stronglight 80/90 units in existence. Having to convert a triple feels like such a cludge in this day n age. </harrumph>

fsa recently released a few models of super-compact chainsets

eta: this, if you don't mind square taper bb, or a 386evo carbon version

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2017, 07:21:11 pm »
Small double rings aren't designed to 'pull up' the chain from a smaller ring, so no ramps, etc. and the spacing might be a little off when used as a middle triple ring. Some shift levers are fairly forgiving of 'non-spec.' use while some (e.g. Shimano's STI) can be tetchy. A middle triple ring would work best as a super-compact big ring in those cases.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2017, 07:47:40 pm »
I'd broadly agree with the above except I would additionally note that a middle ring for a triple is also designed to shed the chain outwards with very little provocation.  This being the case, a chainguard in the big ring position would seem prudent.

cheers

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 13 April, 2017, 07:50:23 pm »
TA middle rings have pins that really do help pick up the chain.  You can use an "inner" ring instead, but these can require more over-shifting to climb up from your granny.

That's what I found with a micro-indexed Ergo and 26-39-X TA rings - comparing plain 39T first to middle-specific upgrade later.  There are also features to help shifting in the other direction, but there's less need for these, IME.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #11 on: 13 April, 2017, 07:54:57 pm »

fsa recently released a few models of super-compact chainsets

eta: this, if you don't mind square taper bb, or a 386evo carbon version

One cheap, one expensive but it's a start. It looks like the manufacturers are sensing the disturbance in the matrix!

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/super-compact-chainsets-the-next-big-thing-for-road-cyclists-48974/

The inner still needs to go smaller than a 30, and that's where old-skool triples come into their own. Something like a 74/110 or 74/130 or 135 would make more sense - but obviously won't appeal to the marketing types as promoting weedy, non-macho gearing probably doesn't drive sales.

Small double rings aren't designed to 'pull up' the chain from a smaller ring, so no ramps, etc. and the spacing might be a little off when used as a middle triple ring. Some shift levers are fairly forgiving of 'non-spec.' use while some (e.g. Shimano's STI) can be tetchy. A middle triple ring would work best as a super-compact big ring in those cases

I had a feeling that the more expensive one would be the better one!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #12 on: 13 April, 2017, 08:03:20 pm »
TA middle rings have pins that really do help pick up the chain.  You can use an "inner" ring instead, but these can require more over-shifting when climbing up from your granny.

Ah! That might explain why I keep overshooting when shifting up using my existing ring (pretty sure it's an old double inner) however much I play around with the limit screws. Not going for a dummy outer though. No no no no no - might as well stick the 50 back on!

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #13 on: 14 April, 2017, 08:11:31 am »

[...] if Maverick is still around and still has his Record middle......I'm certainly interested

He is :) and yes I might still have a number of Campag triple rings kicking about. I'll have a rummage in the cave of bike bits and get back to you.

« Reply #14 on: 14 April, 2017, 01:19:50 pm »
ooh lovely. No real hurry but probably best to pm me.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #15 on: 15 April, 2017, 06:40:34 pm »
You have PM

« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2017, 06:55:38 pm »
Likewise!