Author Topic: Oasts and Coasts 300Km  (Read 28021 times)

Re: Oasts and Coasts 300Km
« Reply #100 on: 22 April, 2017, 10:51:28 pm »
Oh, I'm annoyed not to have been able to make it today - I like the O&C route. Glad you had a good day out.

« Reply #101 on: 23 April, 2017, 12:13:40 pm »
Ooh, great day out, as always. We probably crossed paths citoyen as we latched onto the train across the marsh but got caught in a lagging group by which time the gap was too big to make up without exerting too much effort.

The sun coming out and the tail wind after Sandwich were a welcome addition.

My stomach did its usual thing and refused to accept anything pretty much after Hythe, so by the time we were on the last few weary kms in the dark I was bonking big time, and we made it back around 11.00. Just a few degrees warmer than last year which made all the difference in the closing stages.

Thanks to Tom and the team for organising.

Paul

« Reply #102 on: 23 April, 2017, 01:19:26 pm »
Missed the last train from Gravesend - literally watched it pull out of the station. A second night in a Prem, blurgh.

Feeling pretty good through to the marshes, left my ACME friends behind, but then started to derail a bit from there. Solo into headwind and then the hills to Deal (love that descent) was ok but last hundred was slow and ACME caught back up with me. Really struggled through last 70km wondering quite why I bother (usual negative, tired and grumpy riding solo monologue) and got in at 10:45. Had a minute too long at control obviously, and despite a heroic time trial back down to Gravesend  I missed the train. Did I mention that?

Good training though right? BCM looms, I am s**tting myself nervous...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #103 on: 23 April, 2017, 01:48:36 pm »
I imagine you would have been too tired to contemplate it, but it's not that far from Gravesend to Dartford, from which (I think) the trains run later. 

On that note, have you booked a Travelodge for the Sunday night of the BCM?  If I recall, the last train back from Bristol Parkway is about 10.30 so you've got to be confident of finishing in good time if you're going to make it and the last leg of the BCM can be very energy-sapping, IMO.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #104 on: 23 April, 2017, 01:57:42 pm »
A very enjoyable ride on a stunning day, I can imagine with the Wind and Rain it would be quite different. I did my usual plodding up the hills down to Battle and then the legs found some energy across the marshes putting in a diesel loco type effort in a gear much bigger than I should have been in, man I enjoyed that. Slower again over the hills around Folkstone and Dover before I left Raymond at Herne Bay to go and meet a work colleague for a beer in Whitstable.

Not sure what they put in that beer but the legs were well and truly back for the end and I felt like I was flying for that last 60km (I probably wasn't).

Good to meet some folk off here for the first time and it was great to spend a large part of the day with or bumping into various ACME colleagues.

The ACME Merino performed brilliantly again  ;D

« Reply #105 on: 23 April, 2017, 02:40:56 pm »
I find beer and cider of the real kind and not the piss water type really helps! Good job to everyone that completed it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #106 on: 23 April, 2017, 04:12:32 pm »
I did my usual plodding up the hills down to Battle and then the legs found some energy across the marshes putting in a diesel loco type effort in a gear much bigger than I should have been in, man I enjoyed that.

Those of us who were trying to hang on to your wheel enjoyed it too! That was an impressive display of power.

Sounds like The Tank did well by you too.  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #107 on: 23 April, 2017, 06:00:51 pm »
A very enjoyable ride on a stunning day, I can imagine with the Wind and Rain it would be quite different. I did my usual plodding up the hills down to Battle and then the legs found some energy across the marshes putting in a diesel loco type effort in a gear much bigger than I should have been in, man I enjoyed that. Slower again over the hills around Folkstone and Dover before I left Raymond at Herne Bay to go and meet a work colleague for a beer in Whitstable.

Not sure what they put in that beer but the legs were well and truly back for the end and I felt like I was flying for that last 60km (I probably wasn't).

Good to meet some folk off here for the first time and it was great to spend a large part of the day with or bumping into various ACME colleagues.

I am always in awe of those who take time out of an event to go for a beer, or meet friends etc (rather than stop at a pub near the end). I would be too worried I wouldn't get going again.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #108 on: 23 April, 2017, 08:02:01 pm »
Having been dropped off by Tippers at Herne Bay control, I decided to stop to refuel with beans on toast. There I sat on the next table and met the event organizer Tom Jackson with his ridding buddy. During a brief discussion about finding rides harder as we age, he told me that if you wear pink shorts during any audax event you have certain privileges approved by audax hierarchy with not having to answer brevet card questions. But to qualify; you to be at least 60 years young and have a 3 digit audax membership number. I have my witnesses Mel, and club mate Steve. In not knowing Tom at all, I think he was being 'Serious'. I waited for other ACME domestique members Sid and Jack to carry me to the finish. I too fell off the back of the Tippers ACME train across the marsh.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #109 on: 23 April, 2017, 09:56:27 pm »
Great to finally do this ride after leaving it to late to enter in 2015 and DNSing last year. It was fun to see the same handful of Full Value riders at every stop.

The weather turned out well - the predicted headwind across Romney Marsh didn't happen and we got a good tail wind all the way back. Getting soaked on the way to Battle wasn't fun, but I dried off pretty quick, and it didn't rain again.

I went slightly off route and took the sea wall all the way from Hythe to Folkestone. Apart from one busy area it worked very well. The least pleasant bit was the climb from the A2 after Whitstable. It just went on forever and you felt like you were making no progress.

While climbing up the White Cliffs of Dover I was overtaken by a gleaming E-Type Jaguar. That was quite a moment. Likewise passing a tiny but very loud music festival in the middle of the night that you could hear across the whole valley.

I ECE'd from Archway as planned, which meant a 3am start, but empty fast roads almost all the way out. Sitting in the HQ I really wasn't sure if I had another 50 km in me, but there were few other options to get home and in the end it only took 2h45 and was competely uneventful - amazing what a cup of instant coffee and a few minutes of rest can do!

« Reply #110 on: 24 April, 2017, 09:17:44 am »

I am always in awe of those who take time out of an event to go for a beer, or meet friends etc (rather than stop at a pub near the end). I would be too worried I wouldn't get going again.
I used to regularly stop for a quick beer and some pub food but recently I have stopped doing it as it always took me up to an hour to feel comfortable on the bike again. Bouncing Herne Bay and stopping in Whitstable was fine and restricting it to one beer, a pot of cockles and some crisps seemed to work and I can absolutely recommend the Tankerton Arms  :thumbsup: The temptation to stay longer was there though.

« Reply #111 on: 24 April, 2017, 10:12:12 am »
First 300 ticked off; I was feeling it yesterday and still am today; Slightly more recovery needed than a 200.

I was aiming for sub 12 hour ride time and with faffing at controls for just over an hour got in at just after 1845, so pretty happy with my ride.

I thought I had a flat between Brenzett and Hythe but when I stopped all was good and it turns out it was probably squirming in some diesel or oil that caused some of the front group to crash.

Climbing after Dover castle there was a large group of (I think) Germans riding along on mountain bikes and I was making little progress on them up a climb; when I finally passed them I noticed they all had about 250W electrical assistance :-\

A good double scoop ice cream at Herne Bay and I had forgotten how slow the section from Faversham to Hollingbourne can be and then almost got taken out by a taxi driver on the Pilgrims way before crossing the Medway.

A good day riding all round and now debating if I can push it to 400.

« Reply #112 on: 24 April, 2017, 10:42:04 am »
First 300 ticked off; I was feeling it yesterday and still am today; Slightly more recovery needed than a 200.

I was aiming for sub 12 hour ride time and with faffing at controls for just over an hour got in at just after 1845, so pretty happy with my ride.

I thought I had a flat between Brenzett and Hythe but when I stopped all was good and it turns out it was probably squirming in some diesel or oil that caused some of the front group to crash.

Climbing after Dover castle there was a large group of (I think) Germans riding along on mountain bikes and I was making little progress on them up a climb; when I finally passed them I noticed they all had about 250W electrical assistance :-\

A good double scoop ice cream at Herne Bay and I had forgotten how slow the section from Faversham to Hollingbourne can be and then almost got taken out by a taxi driver on the Pilgrims way before crossing the Medway.

12 hour 300 = no problem 400!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #113 on: 24 April, 2017, 03:06:12 pm »

Yes 400 no problem but you will have to slow down *a little* to make it comfortably!

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #114 on: 23 October, 2017, 03:56:28 pm »
Looking ahead to next year...

Can I assume there was no "floor" accommodation at the HQ for this one and that the same would apply for the 2018 event?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

citoyen

« Reply #115 on: 23 October, 2017, 04:27:04 pm »
Can I assume there was no "floor" accommodation at the HQ for this one and that the same would apply for the 2018 event?

I rode with a couple of others to the start this year. We timed our ride to get there about an hour before the start time. We arrived before the organiser.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #116 on: 23 October, 2017, 05:21:06 pm »

Yes 400 no problem but you will have to slow down *a little* to make it comfortably!
Or whip round the first 300 and have a nice long sleep before the last leg.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #117 on: 08 January, 2018, 06:01:55 pm »
I've signed up for the 2018 edition :) I will probably be finishing after midnight so I don't really want to drive home to London given that I'll be up at 0500 to get there.

Rooms at Premier Inn Singlewell (edge of Gravesend) on the *Saturday* night are currently £47 for a single or a twin. Would anyone be interested in going halves on the twin option?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #118 on: 08 January, 2018, 09:39:52 pm »
If you live in London it's a prime candidate for ECEing to 400. Most of the route is completely empty main roads and dual carriageways thus very quick.

( I did it as my first ever 400 last year)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #119 on: 08 January, 2018, 10:21:08 pm »
I know the roads to Kent but not sure I can manage a 400 yet! Also the start is <50km from my house so would require some gratuitous looping...
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #120 on: 04 April, 2018, 03:50:23 pm »
Hoping to ride this as my first 300....good route?

citoyen

« Reply #121 on: 04 April, 2018, 05:36:34 pm »
Hoping to ride this as my first 300....good route?

Fab route. The organiser is pretty reliable - I've done rides of his in areas that I thought I knew well and discovered some lovely new roads.

First leg down to Uckfield is pretty lumpy. So is the next leg to Battle. Then there's a flat bit across Romney Marsh to Hythe and along the coast, another lumpy bit round Folkestone and Dover, another flat bit through Sandwich, another nice coastal bit through Herne Bay and Whitstable, then rolling countryside back to the finish.

« Reply #122 on: 04 April, 2018, 07:01:47 pm »
O great, sounds good. Will enter, thank you.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #123 on: 04 April, 2018, 07:14:50 pm »
Dunno if it’s still the case, but last time I rode one of the controls was a seaside fish & chip shop. Doesn’t get much better than that IME.
Eddington Number = 132

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #124 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:30:32 am »
Debating what to wear for this. The BBC forecast currently reckons 9-10C at the start/finish and 13-14C in the afternoon.

I'm usually OK in a short-sleeve jersey+base layer and shorts (and I'll bring gloves anyway) for 10C upwards. Expecting to finish at midnight or later so that's a few hours around that temperature. The coastal section will be exposed. Is it better to play it safe and be a bit too warm in the afternoon sun or go for short sleeves and pedal faster if it gets chilly? All advice from hardened Oasters welcomed :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000