Author Topic: NHS says "cyclists are slightly more to blame for fatal collisions"  (Read 8382 times)

Re: NHS says "cyclists are slightly more to blame for fatal collisions"
« Reply #50 on: 09 June, 2015, 08:51:25 pm »
NHS Choices is run on behalf of the Department of Health.  I've flagged the article to the Editorial Board and to the Department's PPS (who happens to be a cyclist)
Good. Thanks for doing that.

Did you highlight that:
- the use of statistics is so bad it isn't even wrong;
- it misrepresents its sources;
- having such a low quality article published under the aegis of the NHS may bring the NHS into disrepute, & may be misused by those with an anti-cycling agenda;
etc.?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #51 on: 21 December, 2017, 06:24:26 pm »
NHS Choices is run on behalf of the Department of Health.  I've flagged the article to the Editorial Board and to the Department's PPS (who happens to be a cyclist)
Good. Thanks for doing that.

Did you highlight that:
- the use of statistics is so bad it isn't even wrong;
- it misrepresents its sources;
- having such a low quality article published under the aegis of the NHS may bring the NHS into disrepute, & may be misused by those with an anti-cycling agenda;
etc.?

The article's still there, I don't think it's been changed.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #52 on: 21 December, 2017, 06:58:49 pm »

I've had near-misses when literally lit up like a christmas tree (bike covered in fairy lights, as well as the usual commuter-level[1] lights and its assortment of reflectives), so while they may count in your favour when attributing blame, I'm sceptical that they actually do much to prevent collisions.

[1] By which I mean the YACF definition of 'obnoxious and redundant', rather than the general population's 'poundshop-quality with a flat battery'.

Ditto.

Also, hospital records are not the most accurate as far as facts are concerned, my recent crash was given as "cyclist Vs car" on one report and "car Vs cyclist" on another even though no car was involved (except to recover the bike).

« Reply #53 on: 22 December, 2017, 11:23:26 am »
It's the unofficial hierarchy of the road:  People who think they're more important than you, as determined by your respective vehicles, expect you to give way in response to bullying.  This goes both ways, as I discovered the first time I drove a Man Carâ„¢ rather than a little hatchback, and found people being unexpectedly nice at roundabouts.
Mrs B commented that she started getting more courtesy from other motorists after changing from a 2006 Daihatsu Sirion to a 2012 Honda Jazz.  :(  Just that little bit up the hierarchy ...
Alternatively, I think I get less courtesy now I drive a nice new car than a knackered old car. Nothing says get out of my way better than a dirty car with a dent on every panel (except a dirty van/pickup with a dent on every panel). :)

« Reply #54 on: 22 December, 2017, 08:30:13 pm »
My hiace has dents in most panels. It's also a period 'R' reg unlike the personalised wannabees you see.  2018 will be its coming of age year (21).

Cycling I will cycle in the middle of the lane coming onto and using a roundabout.  Cycle lanes on r'abouts: I hate those green-painted efforts that creep round the edge.  In fact I came off due to one in Hendaye - it was shiny paint and very slippery in damp weather.  Luckily I just slid and my bike was protected by my leg!
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #55 on: 22 December, 2017, 11:46:35 pm »
Alternatively, I think I get less courtesy now I drive a nice new car than a knackered old car. Nothing says get out of my way better than a dirty car with a dent on every panel (except a dirty van/pickup with a dent on every panel). :)

I'm not sure whether a plain van or a signwritten one (not from a national chain/major brand) is better for that purpose. One says 'I don't give a shit about dents - and you don't know who I am,' while the other says 'it's not my van - so I *really* don't give a shit about dents.'

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 23 December, 2017, 12:28:39 am »
Old van that's had the signwriting of a major brand removed before being sold off, leaving the outline in the faded paintwork.  Bonus points for distinctive colours (pillarbox red, RAC fluro orange, etc):

"I didn't even give a shit what it looked like when I bought it."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #57 on: 23 December, 2017, 12:45:48 am »
My hiace has dents in most panels. It's also a period 'R' reg unlike the personalised wannabees you see.  2018 will be its coming of age year (21).

Cycling I will cycle in the middle of the lane coming onto and using a roundabout.  Cycle lanes on r'abouts: I hate those green-painted efforts that creep round the edge.  In fact I came off due to one in Hendaye - it was shiny paint and very slippery in damp weather.  Luckily I just slid and my bike was protected by my leg!

Wrong glasses...

this post started out as "My niece has dents in most panels" until I found the computer glasses.
It is simpler than it looks.