Author Topic: Bent Fork on My Fixie!  (Read 2004 times)

Bent Fork on My Fixie!
« on: 09 June, 2015, 08:11:14 am »
I have a Jamis Sputnik which I cycled from London to Paris. On my way into Paris my Garmin bounced out of it's mount and fell between my fork and spokes :'( The wheel is now buckled and the fork bent. I am looking for a replacement fork, any ideas:

This has been suggested as a suitable replacement:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ambrosio+Momentum+Carbon+Fork&safe=off&client=ms-android-google&espvd=1&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sboxchip=Shopping&sa=X&ei=m-N1VdD3DYKuU5XagPAL&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=360&bih=511#spd=12577759390238504714

Will ambrosio momentum carbon training forks work with a Jamis Sputnik?

Thanks for your help -

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Bent Fork on My Fixie!
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2015, 08:57:18 am »
You need to know:
Axle to crown dimension.
Steerer diameter & length. Longer is ok shorter won't work
Crown race diameter.
Brake drop.

As long as they all match you're good to go. I haven't  checked your link but if you need any help give me a shout.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2015, 09:14:48 am »
You need to know:
Axle to crown dimension.
Steerer diameter & length. Longer is ok shorter won't work
Crown race diameter.
Brake drop.

As long as they all match you're good to go. I haven't  checked your link but if you need any help give me a shout.

Thank you for that.

OK? I sit on bikes, spin my legs round and occasionally clean them, oil them and take them to shops for servicing...Sputnik is secondhand to me and I don't have the user manual... How do I find this stuff out?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2015, 10:19:34 am »
Axle to crown. Measure from the dropout to the brake bolt on the back of the fork.
Brake drop. Measure from the brake bolt vertically to the centre of the brake pad fixing bolt. Under 49mm is standard 'race' clearance. 'Long drop' calipers up to 57mm.
Steerer diameter. Remove the stem cap and measure across the inside of the stem. For that fork to fit you're looking for 28/29mm.
Steerer length.  New forks come with 250mm of steerer so will generally need shortening.
Headset crown race. Look carefully at the top & bottom of the head tube. If they are the same diameter then your crown race will fit that new fork.

Can we see some pictures of your bike? That would be helpful.

Luv'n'stuff

John.
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2015, 10:38:01 am »
Checking the spec for your bike on line the answer to your question is yes. The crown race needs to be transferred over and the steerer will need shortening. Also a new star nut will need fitting inside the steerer.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2015, 04:18:45 pm »
Hey John,

Thank you.

I dumped some images in a folder... not sure what would be helpful (I really have no idea!) so there's loads, with a tape measure too>>>

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B--_9QIb_pZNfldBOHNLLVE1SDBUWkUtSWtsWktlYmNqTE1hVFZwNi12OE5mZ0JfNVY5Tlk&usp=sharing

Kisses and stuff :-*