Linked Events

• Dufton (Cumbria) mostly camping weekend: 09 October, 2015 - 11 October, 2015

Author Topic: Dufton (Cumbria) mostly camping weekend - 9th-11th October 2015  (Read 22325 times)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
Re: Dufton (Cumbria) mostly camping weekend - 9th-11th October 2015
« Reply #100 on: 09 September, 2015, 04:33:25 pm »
On checking all my work appointments I discovered a Sunday session leading a ride for a local Asian women's group that I promised to do ages ago, on the 10th October.  So I can't make the weekend after all...sadly.

« Reply #101 on: 09 September, 2015, 05:09:05 pm »
That's a shame!

« Reply #102 on: 09 September, 2015, 09:31:13 pm »
@ Kim

Re my reservations about cycling on the Pennine Way, a look at the map reveals it actually to be bridleway up to High Cup Nick, so I suppose it's possible.  It looks very steep, though!  I'd like to look at the Roman road nprth-west out of Appleby, which is also shown to be a bridleway and is about 3 miles long.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #103 on: 10 September, 2015, 10:51:08 am »
I was very tempted by this... but I shall be in Spain that weekend.  :(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #104 on: 10 September, 2015, 07:15:02 pm »
I haven't bought tickets yet. Is anyone else arriving earlier than Friday/leaving later than Sunday? If I were to travel on Friday and Sunday it makes it basically all that way for one day's cycling. If I come up on Thursday and go home on Monday, that makes it a much better proposition.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #105 on: 10 September, 2015, 07:23:45 pm »
That's a pity, Reg and jane :(

Wow, I think you'd be on your own unless you can convince jane to travel on the Thursday then return for her event on Saturday.

I'm sure you'd find enough to amuse yourself - there's a winery in the next village :P

http://www.highcupwines.co.uk/site

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #106 on: 10 September, 2015, 08:14:08 pm »
OK. That's enough to convince me. English wine - I've never really understood why, when France is so close. However, I don't mind having a taste. I find it hard to believe that Cumbria's climate makes it a serious wine-growing rival to Côtes du Rhône.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #107 on: 11 September, 2015, 08:10:42 am »
I think I shall have to dip out of this, which is a shame.

I am on grand-dad duty on the Thursday, so I would have to travel on the Friday. Returning on the Sunday is not an option as there is a replacement bus service between Shipley and Leeds. I would have to come back on Monday so would be Billy No-mates for Sunday. 14 hours of train travel for a single day's bike ride seems a little excessive, no matter how lovely the countryside. I could bugger off to East Anglia for the weekend and get three good rides in, admittedly without England's Mont Ventoux.

« Reply #108 on: 11 September, 2015, 09:13:14 am »
Tickets for Penrith now booked.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #109 on: 13 September, 2015, 08:00:43 pm »
Whats the ride on Saturday I may pop up for the day.

« Reply #110 on: 13 September, 2015, 09:00:22 pm »
Alright mate!

We'll be riding up to the radar station from the village, then back down, then maybe into Appleby/somewhere else if there's time and people aren't knackered.

Dunno about time, hopefully 9-ish, probably after ten...

you'd be very welcome, of course!

« Reply #111 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:57:12 pm »
I know a free-wheel challenge has been mooted after the conquest (or otherwise) of Great Dun Fell but I've already had my hospital visit for the year and am wondering about a trundle along the contour to look at Silverband Mine.  Still have to get down again eventually, of course!

http://www.cumbriamining.plus.com/silverband.htm

Anyone been?

Peter

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #112 on: 14 September, 2015, 10:05:48 pm »
That would seem like an excellent excuse to take a break on the way up...

« Reply #113 on: 14 September, 2015, 10:05:58 pm »
Not me, Peter. Take photos!

I'll call the campsite tomorrow and book for the lightweight campers (a couple more won't make any difference if anyone wants to turn up late), and I'll ask on behalf of the campervan folk.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #114 on: 14 September, 2015, 10:14:59 pm »
Peli & Woolly have made me a most generous offer, the details of which have yet to be finalised. It involves sleeping in their awning and being helped around the replacement bus. As soon as I know precisely what I am doing I will buy some rail tickets.

« Reply #115 on: 15 September, 2015, 12:16:46 am »
That's good news, Wow.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #116 on: 15 September, 2015, 06:21:01 am »
To avoid the bus service between Shipley and Leeds you could always cycle from Skipton to Ilkley via Embsay, Bolton Abbey, Beamsley and Nesfield. A nice quiet route. Then catch the train to Leeds.

« Reply #117 on: 15 September, 2015, 09:02:12 am »
To avoid the bus replacement - why not cycle 15 miles to Penrith and get the direct train to Euston?

« Reply #118 on: 15 September, 2015, 01:31:26 pm »
I've just called and confirmed what I think is happening. I'm going to go in person on Saturday anyway, as I'll be passing on my way back from the Lakes. He was probably wanting a deposit anyway, so I may as well.

This is what I think we have:

Lightweight solo campers
Me
Kim
lantern_rouge
andrewc
Steve GT
Peter
Wowbagger?

Lightweight inna tent for two
Polar Bear + 1

Family tent
boab, Chris S, CrinklyLion + cubs

Campervan
JenM (already booked)
Woolly + peli + Tilley + (possibly) Wowbagger

Caravan
Madcow + 1 (already booked)

Let me know if that sounds OK - and I'll ask about the awning on the side of the van when I get there. But don't fret about it, we'll work it out.

By the way, as they only have 4 pitches for vans, he was talking about shutting it to others, so we might have the place to ourselves (apart from any long-term residents and maybe the odd Pennine Way walker).

It may be easiest if I coordinate cash, but again, I'll chat to him about this on Saturday, and I'll let you all know.

Shout up if there's anything else you want me to ask when I'm there.

« Reply #119 on: 15 September, 2015, 05:44:52 pm »
Great stuff, Dean, thanks.

« Reply #120 on: 15 September, 2015, 11:27:40 pm »
Oh, bunbury mentioned that the pub might get a bit busy - is anyone planning to eat/drink/play the bandit at the pub on the Friday or Saturday, so I can alert them? I'll be self-catering mostly, but a decent meal would sit well.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #121 on: 16 September, 2015, 06:16:18 am »
I plan to eat there at least once Deano.

« Reply #122 on: 19 September, 2015, 07:42:48 pm »
Right, I've been and spoken to Mike, and handed in the deposit.

The highlights are that it's not a huge space - but plenty for us. Boab, if tentopolis is longer than 5 or 6 metres, you may struggle, as that's the width limit of the camping area, but you can have one of the hard-standing areas if that's an issue. If not, you get to colonise one end of it, and there's a sturdy fence you can use for fixing purposes.

It's £20 for a van or a family tent (excepting Jen, who's negotiated a single person discount). Awnings not a problem.

£7 per person for lightweight campers - I think the only people affected by this are PB and P,  as everyone else is solo.

The only shift on price was that I get in free ??? - I've no idea how to spread this fairly amongst the group, suggestions welcome!

I'll handle the cash (with slight question marks in the case of Jen and madcow - if you guys have already paid or want to pay yourselves, that's fine, just let me know).

Food - the pub has a tiny kitchen, and as we're a large group, they said they would want pre-orders.

So, shall we say let's self-cater/make our own arrangements on Friday (as everyone will be there at different times), and I'll book the pub for those who want it on Saturday night, assuming there's demand. I mean, we could all order a takeaway from somewhere in Appleby that delivers, as an alternative (or send someone down to collect - it's about three miles, albeit with a fairly substantial hill up to Dufton), but the food at the pub is meant to be good,  we may want to escape from the weather, and the menu looks alright:

http://www.thestagdufton.co.uk/our-menu/

For the daytime, there's also a cafe in the village now, and Mike said they would be amenable to opening early on the Saturday if there were a few of us wanting breakfast, Mike said it's very good.

As an alternative, the YHA does let other people come in for their breakfasts and evening meals, but Mike said the food at the cafe is better.

I'll try and get there first (or at least amongst the first) on Friday, to set aside a space for tentopolis, and to wave everyone else in the right direction. I'll send round a PM when I  get chance with my mobile number, and a few questions about your arrival time and eating preferences.

No fires allowed! I didn't ask, but having seen the available space, just no.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #124 on: 19 September, 2015, 10:35:11 pm »
I have tickets and a plan. This involves travelling to Skipton and cadging a lift with the lovely Woollipelis.

@Jenm: the ticket price on the W. Coast line was ridiculously expensive.