Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017  (Read 108052 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017
« Reply #100 on: 12 May, 2016, 03:56:37 pm »
We noticed Bianchi Boy refers to distances to the control in Llanidloes.  There may / may not be issues with the distance on the control sheet, however the control café is The Coffee Bean, NOT Hafren Bistro.

Secondly, we note Phil W is hoping to wear summer kit for the event - we hope everyone remembers that they're going to be riding through the mountains of Snowdonia this weekend. As at time of writing (lunchtime Thursday), the overnight temperatures predicted for Snowdonia are 2 degrees C in late evening, 1 degree C overnight and it isn't expected to come above 4 degrees C till after 6.00 am Sunday. We recommend that everyone brings extra layers.  The weather can change very quickly from what is forecast too. Those foil Emergency Blankets are quite handy to stuff down a jersey in the event of getting really cold.  Available from Wilko at 75p each and other outlets are available.

Finally, we've emailed everyone with details of parking in Chepstow. We've had complaints about riders on previous events parking inconsiderately and annoying the neighbours.  Please check your email if you're riding this weekend.

THANKYOU!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #101 on: 12 May, 2016, 04:37:09 pm »
i would add a survival blanket just in case - small, lightweight and contains body heat effectively

Phil W

« Reply #102 on: 12 May, 2016, 05:14:58 pm »
Ha it'll be summer kit for middle of day, but my extra warm layers will be ready to be deployed from late afternoon onwards.

« Reply #103 on: 12 May, 2016, 05:41:53 pm »
Unless the temperatures kick up a bit from current forecasts I'll be in cool weather kit with longs during the day.  That makes it easier as I won't have to find a way to carry too much extra kit.

Phil W

« Reply #104 on: 12 May, 2016, 05:52:16 pm »
Unless the temperatures kick up a bit from current forecasts I'll be in cool weather kit with longs during the day.  That makes it easier as I won't have to find a way to carry too much extra kit.

Since I'm driving down I'll have different clothing options with me and make a final decision late Friday afternoon.

« Reply #105 on: 12 May, 2016, 07:33:02 pm »

Since I'm driving down I'll have different clothing options with me and make a final decision late Friday afternoon.

I`m avoiding decisions like that  :facepalm: by covering all bases in what I`m carrying  ;D So hopefully with what I set off in and carry will cover all weather  from 0c thro` to +17c , bit weighty in luggage (4kg all in and food extra ) but acceptable (to me maybe not racing whippets)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Phil W

« Reply #106 on: 12 May, 2016, 09:12:40 pm »

I might be lazy and just opt for the bag drop for the extra warm stuff. Pick it up at kings, ride wearing it, return to kings, rest, then leave it behind and get by in the early morning with laughter layers and arm warmers. We will see, it's all packed now anyway with a LEL bag in case I decide on bag drop.

I`m avoiding decisions like that  :facepalm: by covering all bases in what I`m carrying  ;D So hopefully with what I set off in and carry will cover all weather  from 0c thro` to +17c , bit weighty in luggage (4kg all in and food extra ) but acceptable (to me maybe not racing whippets)

« Reply #107 on: 12 May, 2016, 10:12:37 pm »
I might be lazy and just opt for the bag drop for the extra warm stuff. Pick it up at kings, ride wearing it, return to kings, rest, then leave it behind and get by in the early morning with laughter layers and arm warmers. We will see, it's all packed now anyway with a LEL bag in case I decide on bag drop.
Which colour LEL bag are you using?
I was thinking along similar lines but would choose a different colour ideally so as to minimise finding time at King's

Phil W

« Reply #108 on: 12 May, 2016, 11:54:38 pm »
Which colour LEL bag are you using?
I was thinking along similar lines but would choose a different colour ideally so as to minimise finding time at King's

My Market Rasen one, so yellow,

« Reply #109 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:08:56 am »
197 as I`m using bivvibag etc  in YH grounds  :thumbsup:
Do you mind me asking, what does you bivvy kit consist of for sleeping in Welsh temps?

My kit is Alpkit bivvy bag, silk liner, down sleeveless jacket + a sheet of bubblewrap.  I reckon that will be ok if its chilly but not if it is near freezing.

No sleeping bag? I'm still in two minds about what to take. Now I'm thinking I should've got a lighter synth bag to deal with the moisture.

Do you pack the liner in the bivvy beforehand or stuff it in when you set it up? I find it tricky getting everything together while hopping around a field trying not to get anything wet :)

« Reply #110 on: 13 May, 2016, 12:05:18 pm »

No sleeping bag? I'm still in two minds about what to take. Now I'm thinking I should've got a lighter synth bag to deal with the moisture.

Do you pack the liner in the bivvy beforehand or stuff it in when you set it up? I find it tricky getting everything together while hopping around a field trying not to get anything wet :)

Not planning to take one for TCR.  I tend to be pretty warm when I'm sleeping and usually find sleeping bags too hot when others are cold.

Looking at weather for this weekend, the forecast is now for colder nights, down to 0/1 degrees.  I would want a sleeping bag for that, so I think I'll revert to the original plan and either crash at Kings with the multitudes (getting there early for first use of the sheets) or ride through if I'm feeling good.

I've never used the bivvy bag so not worked out what to do with the hopping in the wet field challenges!  It was a bit of a rushed purchase and I'll probably end up getting a different one as I'd prefer to have a zip, so I can unzip when too warm in the night.  I expect I would just leave the liner in the bivvy bag once I'd used it. 

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #111 on: 13 May, 2016, 12:27:50 pm »
for the faster lot king's yh is too early to sleep at ~10pm; it's worth going to the next control and sleep from 1-ish am

« Reply #112 on: 13 May, 2016, 12:31:40 pm »
I guess I sleep cold. I've not really camped out in the UK though - in Oz it was a case of trying to sleep while you're melting to death, over here it's try not to die in your sleep from cold exposure. There's no middle ground! :S

I will try and pack ALL my kit and then see what fits in my saddle pack. BCM is basically a testing ground for TCR at the moment so what the hell, some or all of my choices are bound to go wrong! :)

« Reply #113 on: 13 May, 2016, 01:06:17 pm »
for the faster lot king's yh is too early to sleep at ~10pm; it's worth going to the next control and sleep from 1-ish am

what !!! you faster guys must be shifting ---I guess you`ll be part of the grupettos I`ve noted in previous year coming back from Menai whilst I`m still way short of halfway at Penrhyndeudraeth  :(
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #114 on: 13 May, 2016, 01:12:19 pm »
I'm thinking a ride fast, try and bivvy as long as possible gets me the best of both worlds.

Fast ride + tested kit + don't miss out on control feeds = winning!

« Reply #115 on: 13 May, 2016, 02:18:33 pm »

what !!! you faster guys must be shifting ---I guess you`ll be part of the grupettos I`ve noted in previous year coming back from Menai whilst I`m still way short of halfway at Penrhyndeudraeth  :(

All the fast riders (including jamesld8 if he were riding) had gone south through the Penrhyn section before I got there on my way north!

« Reply #116 on: 13 May, 2016, 03:31:29 pm »
I usually see a good few returners as I go from  Penrhyndeudraeth to Beddgelert.

« Reply #117 on: 13 May, 2016, 04:29:58 pm »
Please note this event is full and has been for several weeks...there will be NO on the line entries - we haven't the capacity in Kings / elsewhere. 

We have noted that some people plan to tag onto the event, without entering formally or paying.  They will NOT be permitted to use the facilities at  Kings, Menai, Aberhafesp or Llandrindod Wells.

Please note, anyone tagging along with a group, who is not formally registered and paid up for the event, will be riding on their own insurance.

If you're planning to ride anything that isn't a standard roadbike, with standard kit, please make sure you are carrying spares for anything that might break / need replacing en route. There are very few facilities open in mid wales at night.  There are bike shops along the route, but very few open on Sundays and none are open after 5pm on  Saturday.  There is a bike shop in Dolgellau that is open on Sunday from 10 - 4.

Off to set up the start...

« Reply #118 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:04:32 pm »
I'm not riding  :(
Difficult decision but my knee is a bit iffy and I don't want to risk aggravating it.  And work is a bit busy so it will be helpful to be fresh on Monday.  I hope everyone enjoys the sunshine!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #119 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:07:44 pm »
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #120 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:49:20 pm »
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Thanks Graeme,  I reread the write up on your blog in preparation! Have a good weekend

« Reply #121 on: 14 May, 2016, 06:55:35 am »
Live tracking of a few of the riders is available here: http://frrt.org/bcm16/
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #122 on: 14 May, 2016, 07:45:30 am »

:thumbsup:

« Reply #123 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:19:51 am »

My routing server has just fallen over, currently on the Poole  train to ride Porkers perm with Jonah and Anthony, have restarted it but service might be a bit patchy through Wessex...
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #124 on: 14 May, 2016, 12:05:38 pm »
I'm sitting outside a cafe in Llandiloes eating salad & applying suncream