Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017  (Read 107566 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017
« Reply #50 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:14:12 pm »
I have a B&B booked at Dollgellau but in the absence of someone with balls in charge of the brakes I don't think I'll be fast enough to make use of it.

« Reply #51 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:13:35 am »
I have a B&B booked at Dollgellau but in the absence of someone with balls in charge of the brakes I don't think I'll be fast enough to make use of it.

It's much more fun to go for the bunkbed lottery and a conversation with the sleep police at Kings. Even on the tandem with an 23:30 appearance at Kings this has been the preferred option nine times.

Ps the descents on day1 are friendly, it's day2 where they can be interesting.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:08:26 pm »

:o

;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #53 on: 07 May, 2016, 04:18:44 pm »
Is there really a 24hr garage in Newtown?

« Reply #54 on: 07 May, 2016, 05:49:12 pm »
;D
Not a concern to me, or indeed to most, who'll be using the very excellent facilities of the Aberhafesp control.

Phil W

« Reply #55 on: 07 May, 2016, 05:59:42 pm »
Looking forward to joining last weekend's BC400 to the Llanfair-PG 400 via the BCM 600. Been through routesheet and matched to map now. Just hope it's warmer than last w/e.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #56 on: 07 May, 2016, 06:47:04 pm »

Dunno - but there's certainly a 24h Macdonalds, for indoor warmth on a braasic night...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Phil W

« Reply #57 on: 07 May, 2016, 07:15:00 pm »

Why not stop at the community centre control a few km back up the road with food laid on?

« Reply #58 on: 07 May, 2016, 09:28:27 pm »

Why not stop at the community centre control a few km back up the road with food laid on?
Organiser has advised in his email, that said control may not necessarily be open to the faster riders... Unfair on volunteers etc. I remember seeing Mark R snoring in the corner last year about half 1 in the morning.... I can understand this!

Anyway, this is why... I must call the garage to find out if it will be open all night

« Reply #59 on: 08 May, 2016, 06:45:53 am »
Looking forward to joining last weekend's BC400 to the Llanfair-PG 400 via the BCM 600. Been through routesheet and matched to map now. Just hope it's warmer than last w/e.

not looking too warm now :(  Met Office showing 2-12 c during day with a northerly wind; summer has made but a brief visit this week. Note to self to pack winter clothing  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Phil W

« Reply #60 on: 08 May, 2016, 09:28:08 am »

not looking too warm now :(  Met Office showing 2-12 c during day with a northerly wind; summer has made but a brief visit this week. Note to self to pack winter clothing  :thumbsup:

Bugger, I was hoping to wear summer kit next weekend.  Let's  hope the winds change direction. A southerly as we head north, then dropping as the sun sets for the return.

« Reply #61 on: 08 May, 2016, 11:47:45 am »
@ Adam W

The Tesco garage at Newtown is 24 hr,  but I think it's automated self-service from late evening on Saturday and during the early hours of Sunday morning. Can't think you'll get there before then, mainly because you would have also missed the control people at King's YHA   (Dolgellau).

There's loads of ATMs in the centre of Newtown, so that should get you proof of passage.

If you're planning on thrashing through the ride (and judging from your performance on the BC4 - there's no reason why you couldn't),  you better make sure your back pockets are well stocked, as you're unlikely to find anywhere open selling/serving food between Bedgellert and Llandrindod Wells.

As to the Aberhafesp control being open, there were people there last year from Saturday evening, so I presume (I know, that's always dangerous) there will be people there this year.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #62 on: 08 May, 2016, 03:13:00 pm »
The BP garage on the A483 (just N of the junction with the A489) is 24hr and generally lets folk inside late at night - veterans of Sheila Simpson's now defunct Plains 400 and Cambrian 600 will remember it. The Newtown MacDonalds is drive through only (unless it's changed in the last couple of years) after 11pm.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #63 on: 08 May, 2016, 04:57:45 pm »
The BP garage on the A483 (just N of the junction with the A489) is 24hr and generally lets folk inside late at night - veterans of Sheila Simpson's now defunct Plains 400 and Cambrian 600 will remember it. The Newtown MacDonalds is drive through only (unless it's changed in the last couple of years) after 11pm.
There has been a move to McDs opening more places 24 hours. The link below shows the times and the only way I have found of knowing is to ring up and ask. The web site shows 24 hours on Friday and Saturday night, but is not explicit on sitting down.

BB

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/Restaurants/restaurant_locator.html?country=uk&pageNo=1&postalCode=SY161DG&primaryCity=NEWTOWN&src=www.mcdonalds.co.uk&latitude=52.51426&longitude=-3.30959&method=googlesearchLocation&language=en
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #64 on: 08 May, 2016, 05:05:48 pm »
Rang Poole McDonald's the day before Hardboiled. Yes we'll be open. No planned maintenance. In the end they weren't. Drive through only. Notice on the door about planned maintenance. Suspect it's more to do with staff cost and how busy they are. On the Arrow Lincoln and Boston open but they were bigger with the pubs and clubs nearby. Even a phone call is suspect it appears.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 08 May, 2016, 07:14:06 pm »
Newtown McD was open around 1:30am last week (i.e. early Sun morning). I had a bit of a chat with a town security dude about how quiet they were; I didnt really understand his reply, but the point is that I think he'd have mentioned any variations in opening hours.

Probably - see Mr Smeth's post!

( It was a very nice experience for a very tired Iddu+MattC. All the diners were just chilled out, not even any lycra-based banter. Marked contrast with the rabble in the town-centre - I was described as a deep-sea diver. The cheek! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #66 on: 09 May, 2016, 01:18:31 pm »
The forecast is looking ideal next weekend. Warm but not hot. No rain. Mild headwind on outbound, tailwind just when you need it on return.

« Reply #67 on: 09 May, 2016, 03:05:36 pm »
The forecast is looking ideal next weekend. Warm but not hot. No rain. Mild headwind on outbound, tailwind just when you need it on return.

thought you didn`t believe in w/e forecasts until Thursday  ;D ---do ideal conditions indicate you`ll be riding ?

Seriously though I`m looking forwards to a ride not beset by horrid winds / rain / sleet / hail / freezing temps or combinations various of these !!
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #68 on: 09 May, 2016, 03:55:32 pm »

thought you didn`t believe in w/e forecasts until Thursday  ;D ---do ideal conditions indicate you`ll be riding ?

I won't be riding the BCM.

However, I am doing a diy600 next weekend which has controls on the BCM route so I expect I see some of the riders on my way up and back. Not sure what time I'll be setting off Saturday, and I certainly won't be leaving Dolgellau on Sunday morning before 8.30am.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #69 on: 09 May, 2016, 09:33:24 pm »

I won't be riding the BCM.

However, I am doing a diy600 next weekend which has controls on the BCM route so I expect I see some of the riders on my way up and back. Not sure what time I'll be setting off Saturday, and I certainly won't be leaving Dolgellau on Sunday morning before 8.30am.

OTOH I am doing the Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau. (clasurol) instead of the BCM

I'm not riding the weekend of the 14th at all.  Given the often random weather this is probably a good thing.

Maybe I'll never do the BCM again

« Reply #70 on: 10 May, 2016, 11:38:39 am »
Return train to London

I have a booking for one plus bike on the Sunday 5.09pm from Chepstow to London which is available should anyone else need it.  Details below.  Happily I now have a lift back.

Journey details:
Ticket type: Advance (Standard Class) – valid only for the selected journey
Price: £24.50
Route:
5.09pm - 5.39pm  Chepstow (platform 2) - Gloucester (platform4) (seats cannot be booked on this  journey, please occupy any available seat)
5.49pm - 7.42pm Gloucester (platform 2) – London Paddington (platform 4). Bicycle space is booked

« Reply #71 on: 10 May, 2016, 07:01:16 pm »
Forecast for Saturday is perfect.  Sunday looks a bit cloudy.

« Reply #72 on: 10 May, 2016, 07:41:27 pm »
Forecast for Saturday is perfect.  Sunday looks a bit cloudy.

prefer it warmer though especially at night (as unlike some I`ll be in a bivvy bag not a 4**** hotel with gold plated taps  ;) ......

but yes overall looks very agreeable cf Elenydd and Cambrian 200 which were dire conditions :(

« Reply #73 on: 10 May, 2016, 08:11:36 pm »
I'm slumming it in a farm B&B.  They don't do flat whites, I've checked    :o

Phil W

« Reply #74 on: 10 May, 2016, 08:16:00 pm »
Looks similar forecast temp range to Brevet Cymru 400. Very cold night with some putting 6 layers on for that. The views of the stars was mesmerising. Think I'll bring my Primaloft gilet for overnight. It does look a dry forecast which is nice.