Author Topic: One pair of shoes ...to rule them all  (Read 7732 times)

Re: One pair of shoes ...to rule them all
« Reply #25 on: 02 February, 2016, 11:33:48 pm »
I also tend to wear seal skinz and sandals and I don't even have computer science degree. I also usually carry a pair of flip flops or birkenstocks in summer and walking boots or shoes the rest of the year. It depends how much time I'm going to be hanging around not cycling.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #26 on: 03 February, 2016, 01:16:40 pm »
I am actually still making my mind up on which shoes to wear and take on Lejog.   I am now definitely using bike packing apidura bags for the trip so space is at a premium.

I am pretty sure I am going to get a pair of these....
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/giro/rumble-vr-mtb-shoe-ec100726

Look like they would be fine for cycling and short walks/pubs ect in the evening.  Anyone got some?

« Reply #27 on: 03 February, 2016, 01:28:16 pm »
I am actually still making my mind up on which shoes to wear and take on Lejog.   I am now definitely using bike packing apidura bags for the trip so space is at a premium.

Look like they would be fine for cycling and short walks/pubs ect in the evening.  Anyone got some?

They're quite neat. Esp for that price. ;D

Could stand at the bar quite relaxed in them.  :thumbsup:

Wouldn't look too bad in the office either. Just bought Spesh BG Comp MTB. 2015 model for £90.  :(  Found a size 44 so grabbed them.

« Reply #28 on: 25 May, 2016, 12:53:34 pm »

Just an update on this ... I went for the Giro Rumble VR shoes and they were my only footwear on tour.

What a superb shoe!

We completed a 12 day Lejog at the end of April and had the worst possible weather including blizzards over Shap, constant hail, persistent, heavy rain and sub zero, icy, gail force winds.   I paired the shoe up with a thin over sock and a "water proof" overshoe.  This obviously does not make them water tight but the wind chill was reduced massively.   These shoes do have lots of meshy vents so you need protection in the cold.

I took 2 pairs of seal skin water proof socks - one pair for the day, then a dry pair in my luggage that was kept for evenings.   Even when the shoes were soaked (most days) I could just put them straight on in the evenings with my dry, waterproof socks.  I couldn't feel the water from the shoe at all and the real beauty of this was that wearing them out in the evening actually dried the shoe off ready for the next days cycling.

They are so comfy to walk in I really didn't miss a second set of shoes and the weight and room saving was huge.

I have been doing all my training in them since January time and have had no discomfort.   They are still perfect condition and they are firm enough for fast group rides and back to back centuries without any adverse pain in the foot.

Really impressed!

Phil W

« Reply #29 on: 25 May, 2016, 10:31:59 pm »
I carry these on cycling tour and backpacking.

http://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/vapor-glove-2/17572M.html?dwvar_17572M_color=J03911#cgid=mens-footwear-shoes&start=1

330g the pair and very pack able.

« Reply #30 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:26:08 am »
I know the OP found a good solution, but thought I'd chip in anyway.
For all-round shoes, I've been using Shimano XC50N mountain bike shoes. The N stands for "Nordic". There's no mesh. Instead the panels are filled in and the soles are sealed at the bottom - take the insole out and the inside of the shoes is completely sealed). As a result the shoes don't really have anywhere for water to get in except through the ankle.
They're pretty good at keeping water out. Roomy enough for thick soles in winter, but because they're not insulated, I can put a thicker insole in and move the ankle strap clamp position and still get a pretty firm grip in thin socks and my feet haven't had any overheating problems even in 40C hard days around Bordeaux, France.

They've been updated to the XC51N now which solves the only problem I've had with them and that is that the panels on the XC50 were smart fake carbon fibre effect and they started to get pretty tatty over time. The new shoes are styled differently and don't have that.

For touring, I buy a cheap pair of fake converse trainers (Tesco, Sports Direct or Primark usually have something) for about £8. They can be squashed flat and strapped to the rack or rolled up and come out looking reasonably OK. They also look fine with jeans, trousers or shorts.

Nick H.

« Reply #31 on: 19 March, 2017, 02:48:13 pm »
I can recommend Nike Mayfly disposable, recyclable marathon shoes. Between £15 and £50. 135 grams each and you can roll them up so they fit into a fist-sized space. They were designed to be the lightest possible shoes which it's safe to do a marathon in. The uppers are parachute fabric I think. If you really do a  marathon in them you could expect them to fall apart soon afterwards. They were advertised as being durable enough for 100 km of road racing, but I can't imagine them lasting for 2 marathons. Maybe OK if you are very light and don't trip on an anything.  I've used them for a 1 year tour. Didn't do much walking obviously. They came in masses of colour schemes, some vomworthy, but some discrete enough to allow you to dress up for a smart restaurant without looking too out of place. Here are some:  http://blog.size.co.uk/2016/02/28/a-brief-history-nike-mayfly/

Although discontinued they come up on ebay and I've bought six pairs because I'm an out of control ebayaholic. These are my faves:

http://highsnobiety.blogspot.co.uk/2005/09/nike-bearbrick-mayfly.html
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/157907530658632749/

Edit: just realised I wrote a long post about them 6 six years ago. Oops. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=50845.0

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #32 on: 19 March, 2017, 03:47:23 pm »
Do you reckon I need new shoes as well?

Bought 2011, Shoo-Goo'd 2014

My previous Carnacs lasted 12 years, and when the missus binned them the soles were still good.  I bought another pair in 2012 or thereabouts but they have a stupid ratchet mech instead of plain simple straps and I don't like them. Carnac went bust soon after.  Bought a pair of Mavics since but they're sloppy on my feet & the shop wouldn't take them back after I had ridden in them (sheesh).

I'm deploying the Shoo Goo yet again but without much hope.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 19 March, 2017, 06:12:57 pm »
I can recommend Nike Mayfly disposable, recyclable marathon shoes. Between £15 and £50. 135 grams each and you can roll them up so they fit into a fist-sized space. They were designed to be the lightest possible shoes which it's safe to do a marathon in. The uppers are parachute fabric I think. If you really do a  marathon in them you could expect them to fall apart soon afterwards. They were advertised as being durable enough for 100 km of road racing, but I can't imagine them lasting for 2 marathons. Maybe OK if you are very light and don't trip on an anything.  I've used them for a 1 year tour. Didn't do much walking obviously. They came in masses of colour schemes, some vomworthy, but some discrete enough to allow you to dress up for a smart restaurant without looking too out of place. Here are some:  http://blog.size.co.uk/2016/02/28/a-brief-history-nike-mayfly/

Although discontinued they come up on ebay and I've bought six pairs because I'm an out of control ebayaholic. These are my faves:

http://highsnobiety.blogspot.co.uk/2005/09/nike-bearbrick-mayfly.html
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/157907530658632749/

Edit: just realised I wrote a long post about them 6 six years ago. Oops. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=50845.0
They're really cool!

Sadly they seemed to have acquired retro-cult status - seem to be £40-upwards in my size on eBay. But I may keep looking ...
[Don't think I'll be buying a used pair :P ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Nick H.

« Reply #34 on: 20 March, 2017, 04:09:53 pm »
Glad you like them! At least £40 is cheaper than new - so they haven't become stupidly expensive 'collectables'. I think they were £70 back in the day.

Samuel D

« Reply #35 on: 20 March, 2017, 06:50:40 pm »
Porkins: are you the gentleman who, a very long time ago, went off touring on Lightweight carbon wheels? And now you’ve abandoned even clipless pedals? (I vaguely recall the Eurostar handle but it might have been anyone.)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #36 on: 20 March, 2017, 09:28:30 pm »
TBH if you're doing 100 mile days I'd stick with the cycling shoes you already like and find a smaller, lighter pair of evening shoes.  At the end of a long day I usually can't wait to take off my bike shoes and give my feet a break.  For my last tour I bought a pair of these, they must weigh about 100 grams, certainly less than the difference between my road and MTB shoes, and pack down really small.  I then went on to wear them as my main casual shoes for the rest of the summer.

(I'm talking about shoes.  Don't mind me while I go and castrate myself.)

Nick H.

« Reply #37 on: 20 March, 2017, 10:41:05 pm »
Porkins: are you the gentleman who, a very long time ago, went off touring on Lightweight carbon wheels? And now you’ve abandoned even clipless pedals? (I vaguely recall the Eurostar handle but it might have been anyone.)

Ah. I don't cycle in them. Should have read the thread title. For the actual pedalling, only all-carbon shoes moulded to the foot will do.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #38 on: 21 March, 2017, 10:12:40 pm »

How in the name of <insert deity here> do you get cycling shoes so worn on the soles?  And the cleats look like you've been bmx-ing and had to use your feet as brakes.  Much respect!

Getting back to the topic, I have taken a pair of Primark flip-flops on tours to have something to wear that isn't a smelly damp cycling shoe.  Useful in campsite showers, waterproof (i.e. plastic), and cheap enough to not care about.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #39 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:53:12 pm »
Hi Tec Zuuks are great as spare shoes to wear off the bike, they are extremely packable and weigh around 170g a pair, though size 12s may be hard to find.

There seems to be a trend at the moment in similarly lightweight casual shoes/trainers with a mesh upper and eva sole.  Mrs Bolt recently bought me a pair of these as my Zuuks were beginning to look a bit trampy after 2 years of continuous wear http://amzn.eu/4fRoqGo they're good but the sole isn't as pliable as the Zuuks for packing.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #40 on: 23 March, 2017, 09:01:10 am »

How in the name of <insert deity here> do you get cycling shoes so worn on the soles?  And the cleats look like you've been bmx-ing and had to use your feet as brakes.  Much respect!

I dunno, it just sorta happened. When I stop at lights etc. I usually stay in the saddle and put my left toe down. My previous Carnacs were as tough as old boots nails - when they died after 12 years' use it was because the stitching in the uppers burst - so I didn't look at these ones until my partner on a 2014 600k remarked that I should maybe check my shoes. He was right:

Small wonder Carnac went bust.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight