Author Topic: Want to play with some olympus kit at the design Museum in SE1  (Read 4529 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Want to play with some olympus kit at the design Museum in SE1
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2016, 07:26:08 am »
Damn and blast!  Can't make it. :(

This is the launch of the digital Pen F
Getting there...

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2016, 08:43:11 am »
Don't want any more photographic temptation, thank you!

I still miss the OM4, with its absolutely brilliant OTF metering (including for flash), and multi-spot metering.  It was a hard day when that had to go... (well it was either that or the house, as it was needed to pay a mortgage payment during a period of redundancy, and I nearly lost the house as it was)
Wombat

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2016, 09:14:58 am »
Ouch!

I have never owned an OM-4, but I do have an OM-2SP, which is its little brother .

The Pen F is shaping up to be amazing.  Lack of weather sealing is a bit disappointing, but otherwise, it's almost an ideal list of features from my pov.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-pen-f-not-weather-sealed/
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2016, 06:33:44 pm »
Ouch!

I have never owned an OM-4, but I do have an OM-2SP, which is its little brother .

The Pen F is shaping up to be amazing.  Lack of weather sealing is a bit disappointing, but otherwise, it's almost an ideal list of features from my pov.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-pen-f-not-weather-sealed/

This really isn't meant to sound churlish, as I am sure it will be yet another fine M4/3 camera, but I would be interested in what it adds beyond what is already available that makes it hugely exciting?

I suppose it's another, 'do the marginal gains matter?' question,

Mike

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2016, 08:58:38 pm »
Great Olympus kit would be a digital XA and a digital OM-1 (or 2n, at a pinch)
It is simpler than it looks.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2016, 09:01:06 am »
OM2SP, surely. The spot bit was very useful, although I don't believe I've ever used a program mode.  Go the whole hog, and do a digital OM4Ti!

Bit silly of me to go on about how I miss my lovely Oly kit, when I've just splashed out on a Sony A7Rii  :facepalm:  There are similarities, smaller than average, different from the norm, and has features that are not commonplace.  I'm afraid I lost interest in Olympus at the start of the digital era, as I considered their early digital efforts to be toys, rather than "serious" cameras.  Things have rather changed since.

Having had to sell everything during my "dark years" thanks to a Government forced redundancy (the big 1990 15% interest rate hike), I kept away from photography for some years, due to its inevitable attraction to money.  Amusingly it was my next redundancy (again central Govt induced, due to grant cuts to LAs in 2010) which got it going properly again, as this time I'd nearly paid off my mortgage, interest rates were very low, and I got a decent payoff. 
Wombat

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2016, 09:31:52 am »
Great Olympus kit would be a digital XA and a digital OM-1 (or 2n, at a pinch)

Got all 3 of the originals.  Never much liked the XA, but the SLRs were magical.  I got the 2n out for a while last year but it felt like writing in COBOL.

The F looks nice but I won't be biting.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 27 January, 2016, 02:16:44 pm »
My XZ-1 deputises as a digital XA rather well.

So, why is this exciting?  Well, yes, some things are marginal gains - 20MP rather than 16MP being an obvious one.

Firstly, and most importantly for me, it has a screen that can get folded away for normal use, so it doesn't get a big smeary nose print (I'm strongly left eyed) on it, or scratches from in my bag.  But it is there for selfies (natch ;) ), for low level shooting, and for whatever else a screen is useful for (showing captures to a friend, I suppose).

Secondly, it has an integrated EVF.  I have wanted this a long time, and had almost given up, and gone for an OM-D.  It doesn't need the gimmicky tiltable VF of the GX7&8, but EVF is important, and the Pen F has IBIS.

Currently, I shoot with an E-PL1 with a VF-2 accessory finder.  It works very well, but it does stick up rather, making the camera a bit bulky and awkward, meanng that, even with a pancake lens, it can't be stuffed into a coat pocket.

Thirdly, form factor (though I hate the phrase).  I am most comfortable with rangefinders, and this delivers the same experience, with sensibly laid out (and very customisable) controls. 

Fourthly, the ability to shoot a 50MP image of a still life or landscape, while not something I would do every day, is certainly a nice added extra.

So it is what I had been waiting for in many respects.
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:20:59 pm »
From one of the early reviews

"Let me just cut right into the chase, if you want to get the Olympus PEN-F, you MUST get the External Grip ECG-4 as well. There is just no other way around it. "

http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2016/01/olympus-pen-f-review-part-1.html

It seems crazy to design small pretty cameras, that are impossible to use, as you can't hold them properly without add on grips. Olympus do seem to do this with all their models though.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 27 January, 2016, 06:56:32 pm »
I don't need a grip. Leica users didn't need grips, owners of Minox, Olympus XA, OM-1 and others didn't need grips.  What's up with modern togs that they can't hold a camera?  ???
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:04:24 pm »
I put a Sugru lump as a grip onto my XZ-1

It's way better for it.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #12 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:09:46 pm »
I haven't felt the need for a grip on my XZ-1, nor did I on my OMs (though the OM4Ti came with one).

People vary, their hands vary.

« Reply #13 on: 27 January, 2016, 11:20:50 pm »
My XZ-1 deputises as a digital XA rather well.

So, why is this exciting?  Well, yes, some things are marginal gains - 20MP rather than 16MP being an obvious one.

Firstly, and most importantly for me, it has a screen that can get folded away for normal use, so it doesn't get a big smeary nose print (I'm strongly left eyed) on it, or scratches from in my bag.  But it is there for selfies (natch ;) ), for low level shooting, and for whatever else a screen is useful for (showing captures to a friend, I suppose).

Secondly, it has an integrated EVF.  I have wanted this a long time, and had almost given up, and gone for an OM-D.  It doesn't need the gimmicky tiltable VF of the GX7&8, but EVF is important, and the Pen F has IBIS.

Currently, I shoot with an E-PL1 with a VF-2 accessory finder.  It works very well, but it does stick up rather, making the camera a bit bulky and awkward, meanng that, even with a pancake lens, it can't be stuffed into a coat pocket.

Thirdly, form factor (though I hate the phrase).  I am most comfortable with rangefinders, and this delivers the same experience, with sensibly laid out (and very customisable) controls. 

Fourthly, the ability to shoot a 50MP image of a still life or landscape, while not something I would do every day, is certainly a nice added extra.

So it is what I had been waiting for in many respects.

Thanks for the explanation Clarion. I do get that - a number of different gains that you haven't been able to put together before.

I had a GX7 because, like you, I wanted an integrated (E)VF and am most comfortable with rangefinder cameras. In the end I moved the GX7 kit on, not because it was not good enough in terms of quality or response, but I just never 'bonded' with it. I think that was in large part due to the evf compared to the simple window of my rf.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:06:57 am »
I don't need a grip. Leica users didn't need grips, owners of Minox, Olympus XA, OM-1 and others didn't need grips.  What's up with modern togs that they can't hold a camera?  ???

this leica user did! just a thumb grip but it made it much easier and more secure to use.

the olympus is a nice looking camera, although too many dials for me and an underwhelming review from the olympus employee linked to above.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 28 January, 2016, 09:54:35 am »
Mike, I have to play the trump card then: HC-B never used a grip! ;) ;D
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 28 January, 2016, 10:13:42 am »
sojournermike, I understand your reasoning.  I really would like a true digital rangefinder, but since the options seem to be an old Epson RD-1 (cool dial readout, though!) or a (fairly soulless) Leica, that isn't likely to happen soon. ;D

I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of reviews (the advantage of having significant delays on two successive, already lengthy, train commutes), and I really like this camera.  Weather sealing would have seemed to have been a no-brainer at that price point (and it is expensive compared to previous Pens, and comparable cameras - X-Pro, GX8 etc), but the other features make up for it.

Three things I dislike about my E-PL1 (aside from viewfinder issues):

1.  Low light AF is terrible & High ISO has awful noise

2.  On/off is a button, which it's hard to tell if you've pressed

3.  The infamous Olympus menus.  OK, so they do go deep, but that is because Olympus like to make their cameras customisable.  And much of it is one-time if you know how you want yours to work.

All of these are overcome in the Pen F

1.  Ridiculously high ISO seems to render well in examples posted.  AF is quick and gets there instead of hunting.

2.  On/off is a marmite faux-rewind knob, easy to activate quickly, and clear which position it is in before you bring it to your eye

3.  Sure there are still the long menus, but the proliferation of knobs (again a marmite issue) means most things can be ready at your finger tip, whether that is shutter speed, aperture, ISO, compensation, switch between mono & color, Mode change etc.  Those are the things I change most often, and would do even more often if it were easier on my EPL1.  Yes, there is the quick menu, which is easily accessed and navigated, to change a whole host of things, but it involves pressing little buttons, which I am less of a fan of.

All in all, I want.  Looking for a good interest free credit deal. :)
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17 on: 28 January, 2016, 10:37:36 am »
On my Fuji X100 I have one of those nifty thumb-hooks.  Very comfy once you get over the urge to wind on after every shot.  Idea for the (WT)F?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #18 on: 28 January, 2016, 11:01:08 am »
The price should drop by a few hundred quid in a couple of months

It would be worth seeing if you could borrow the camera from Olympus for a weekend. I've done that a few times, but couldn't get over the feeling that I'd end up dropping the camera  ;D

https://wow.olympus.eu/en_GB/index.html

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 28 January, 2016, 11:18:56 am »
That sounds like an interesting idea.
Getting there...

« Reply #20 on: 28 January, 2016, 06:09:05 pm »
sojournermike, I understand your reasoning.  I really would like a true digital rangefinder, but since the options seem to be an old Epson RD-1 (cool dial readout, though!) or a (fairly soulless) Leica, that isn't likely to happen soon. ;D

Yes, my favourite cameras have been a Leica MP, Zeiss Ikon and Voigtlander R3M - all use film of course... but that isn't the reason for my preference, although it may shape the way the camera works.

Hope the pen is what you like.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 28 January, 2016, 06:41:17 pm »
I'm amused that all the reviews hail its 'rangefinder styling', when it is explicitly designed to mimic its namesake SLR.
Getting there...

« Reply #22 on: 29 January, 2016, 08:42:28 pm »
A namesake SLR that looked rather like contemporary rangefinders ...

« Reply #23 on: 29 January, 2016, 08:45:40 pm »
Looking at the history the Pen F was half frame, which just happens to be exactly the same as M4/3. There are rumours of Olympus going full frame too.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 30 January, 2016, 06:50:07 pm »
Yes, I think that may have been what prompted the Pen name to be revived.
Getting there...