Author Topic: Reliable Heart Rate Monitor?  (Read 5445 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Reliable Heart Rate Monitor?
« on: 07 February, 2016, 07:39:14 pm »
can anybody recommend one that can talk to garmin devices? my second one is giving up the ghost in the same way the first one did - sending some random numbers to the gps unit. both worked fine for a few months, so not sure what is going on - there's nothing mechanical to wear out.

p.s. the ones i use now are garmin hrm2-ss

Re: Reliable Heart Rate Monitor?
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2016, 09:00:14 pm »
Wahoo tickr

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2016, 09:08:25 pm »
You could buy a Polar chest strap, and clip your Garmin transmitter part on to that. Supposed to be more reliable than the Garmin strap. Instructions here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html
ie one of these straps: http://www.amazon.co.uk/POLAR-Chest-Strap-Soft/dp/B013GB2I7C

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2016, 09:21:50 pm »
I second a Polar chest strap, much better than the Garmin.  Boob lube still recommended though.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2016, 11:04:35 pm »
Mio Link, goes on the wrist rather than a chest strap so far more comfortable. ANT support so should work with a Garmin and seems to be accurate

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2016, 08:56:27 am »
I second a Polar chest strap, much better than the Garmin.

Thirded - Polar chest strap with Garmin transmitter also working nicely for me. I've been using this combination for several years now. I find it reliable, and more comfortable, than the Garmin strap.

« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2016, 09:02:33 am »
I still use the older "rigid" Garmin strap, they just work. And I don't notice them / find them uncomfortable. YMMV.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2016, 09:27:15 am »
I'm also OK with the rigid one, on the turbo I tend to put it on dry and use the point when it starts to work as the temperature adjusted mark of a successful warm up. Curiously but not significant, there's a point where it seems to register at 50% or thereabouts, then jumps to full on.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2016, 09:36:52 am »
Decathlon do a supposedly-compatible flexible one.  Haven't tried it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:27:45 am »
I use a cheap ANT+ one with a Berlei podium bra.

YCSMV

I think given how toxic the environment I create around the transmitter is, it's no surprise they don't last forever. You may well be less sweaty than me.

Random number generation is often about the connection to your chest, rather than the transmitter. I recommend the use of gel as per DCRainmaker's recommendations rather than just wetting the contacts.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2016, 02:10:12 pm »
thank you for all the replies and hyperlinks - i suspect my chest strap is a culprit, rather than transmitter. i tried to measure my sleeping hr during the night and it worked fine. i noticed is that it misbehaves when a) i breath heavily, i.e. chest expands/contracts a lot b) heart rate rises rapidly and c) when out colder weather.
i'll get some gel first, if that fails a polar strap.
wahoo and mio link are good alternatives, but at the moment i'd like to keep the ones i have if all i need is a new strap/gel.

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #11 on: 08 February, 2016, 02:24:03 pm »
Putting the strap in the washing machine helped me improve the behaviour of my garmin strap. Without the transmitter of course

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #12 on: 08 February, 2016, 03:29:52 pm »
I have an £18 "CooSpo" HRM (ANT+) from Ebay.  It works.  I can't think of anything else to say about it.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 08 February, 2016, 04:28:18 pm »
Berlei podium bra.

If it weren't for the racer back with all the hardware attached, I'd totally buy one of those.  Lying on strap adjusters for prolonged periods is nearly but not quite as type-2 fun as cycling in wet jeans.

Random number generation is often about the connection to your chest, rather than the transmitter. I recommend the use of gel as per DCRainmaker's recommendations rather than just wetting the contacts.

I molished an ECG with heartrate counter as a GSCE electronics project[1].  What can I say - I was young and optimistic.

Even after a tame medic stole me some proper pads and gel from the hospital, the connection was still flaky enough that you had to stay still for an entire sampling period[2] in order for the reading to be non-random.  You also had to position yourself carefully to minimise pickup of random induced noise from whatever else was going on in the room.  Jogging on the spot or other heartrate-raising activities were right out.

Lessons learned:  Humans are an excellent source of noise.  Advanced averaging and smoothing algorithms require an understanding of microprocessors.  You can never have too much micropore.  Pay attention to what you're re-wiring when your chest is part of the circuit.

[1] This came in handy many years later when a theatre nurse tried to patronise me by describing the ECG as a 'special telly'.
[2] It was a primitive count-for-n-seconds-and-multiply algorithm, done in 45-series logic on a series of breadboards.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #14 on: 08 February, 2016, 05:01:33 pm »
+1 for Lady C's recommendation for the Wahoo Tickr. I use the Ticker X, which will record workouts/rides/runs without being connected to any other device, and also records other metrics like stride cadence etc. Looking at DCRainmaker's reviews of wrist-worn HRM devices, there does seem to be a drop off in accuracy as the wearer gets sweatier. The last I saw, Ray wasn't recommending them for serious sports use but was quite happy with them for activity-trackers.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #15 on: 08 February, 2016, 05:18:43 pm »
+1 for Lady C's recommendation for the Wahoo Tickr. I use the Ticker X, which will record workouts/rides/runs without being connected to any other device, and also records other metrics like stride cadence etc. Looking at DCRainmaker's reviews of wrist-worn HRM devices, there does seem to be a drop off in accuracy as the wearer gets sweatier. The last I saw, Ray wasn't recommending them for serious sports use but was quite happy with them for activity-trackers.
He is recommending the Scosche and Mio wrist heart rate monitors. Also possibly the Garmin 235/635, and some of the TomToms. It seems they are the only ones that work reliably for sports. I think he uses the Scosche for day to day running and cycling.
I don't think sweatiness affects them much, its just some are less reliable at higher heart rates. Plus movements of the arms can affect them. And possibly colder weather.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #16 on: 08 February, 2016, 05:32:22 pm »
My Mio continues to work even on a very sweaty turbo session so I'd have no qualms in recommending it

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #17 on: 08 February, 2016, 05:35:19 pm »
He is recommending the Scosche and Mio wrist heart rate monitors. Also possibly the Garmin 235/635, and some of the TomToms. It seems they are the only ones that work reliably for sports. I think he uses the Scosche for day to day running and cycling.
I don't think sweatiness affects them much, its just some are less reliable at higher heart rates. Plus movements of the arms can affect them. And possibly colder weather.

Ah, OK. My internet connection here in San Francisco is surprisingly crap, so I didn't go and check Ray's stuff before I posted. Guess I should have done!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 08 February, 2016, 05:40:29 pm »
What are these "transmitters" that peeps are talking about (and saying are not the same as chest straps)? :/

n.b. I've only ever used basic chest_strap + wrist_watch_receiver systems - in which the strap is definitely also the transmitter - and I'm only asking out of curiousity!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #19 on: 08 February, 2016, 05:55:01 pm »

I've moved to a Garmin 235 for running, and it seems pretty close to my Wahoo Tickr X most of the time. Ray raised some concerns when it was used for interval sessions or in cold weather and noted that in a couple of situations it locked onto cadence rather than heart rate. I think this is most easily resolved by making sure it's snug enough. A friend has a tom tom and the data off it is very poor in comparison (HR 94 at the end of a 1 mile uphill interval;)), but I think she doesn't always tighten it up enough. If I want to do an interval session and hr is critical then I'd consider wearing the chest strap, but for short running intervals I think time/effort are usually better gauges anyway.

On the bike I still use the chest strap as the garmin doesn't seem to hold the broadcast hr reliably over a longer ride, although I may try again at some time.

Mike

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 08 February, 2016, 05:56:08 pm »
What are these "transmitters" that peeps are talking about (and saying are not the same as chest straps)? :/

n.b. I've only ever used basic chest_strap + wrist_watch_receiver systems - in which the strap is definitely also the transmitter - and I'm only asking out of curiousity!

With all but the cheapest systems, the transmitter electronics are in a separate little plastic module with press stud terminals that clicks into the strap, which is literally just a stretchy piece of fabric with embedded electrodes.

This means you can wash the strap without damaging the electronics, and replace it cheaply and easily when it wears out.  Or use a bra with embedded electrodes instead of a strap.

« Reply #21 on: 09 February, 2016, 01:36:28 pm »
You could buy a Polar chest strap, and clip your Garmin transmitter part on to that. Supposed to be more reliable than the Garmin strap. Instructions here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html
ie one of these straps: http://www.amazon.co.uk/POLAR-Chest-Strap-Soft/dp/B013GB2I7C

That is what I use and so far it hasn't missed a beat(!).  I just give the electrode pads a quick lick before putting on and it works fine.

I did have the old style garmin HRM but that started giving all sorts of odd readings and eventually found it's way to the bin.
Up the hills and round the bends

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 09 February, 2016, 06:55:10 pm »
Thanks Kim. Certainly sounds a good arrangement.

(
We could have a short-story competition,  where each contributiuon has to end with:
... a bra with embedded electrodes instead of a strap.
)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #23 on: 18 March, 2016, 03:13:32 pm »
I've got a Polar one, which I don't recall ever having gone wrong and 3 or 4 Garmin ones - half of which were warranty replacements for the other half.  My experience with the Garmin ones has been that:
- the old, rigid plastic type were better
- the new ones are hit and misss when new but have got better after a couple of years' of use, but they still fail if it is windy and I'm only wearing one layer.
- Ultrasound gel helps but only a bit
- the PowerCal is the best of the Garmin ones, and also gives you some 'interesting' power numbers as a distraction.

I've tried asking for recommendations for alternatives before and got the message that they were all crap, so just stuck with the Garmin ones.

simonp

« Reply #24 on: 20 March, 2016, 06:46:05 pm »
Tickr X. I have had zero issues with it and it records independently of any device and then syncs on reconnect so I use it for on water rowing.

One thing I like about their design is that it's the only one I've seen where removing the strap breaks the electrical connection thus potentially saving battery life.