Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 152531 times)

Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #475 on: 06 March, 2017, 07:46:24 pm »
Last night a trip to Mothers with the wife and monkeys. Properly proud of the eldest who's 5 and was loving riding home in the torrential rain. Especially enjoyed the roads we let her ride on as was quiet and had me at front and wife behind. Only downside was her crashing after hitting a pothole which is bad enough in a car. Being rung in tomorrow as online pot hole reporter was both rubbish and advised it may need urgent attention

rr

« Reply #476 on: 06 March, 2017, 11:14:33 pm »
10 kg of dishwasher salt and 1kg of carrots collected from ALDI on the way home from work.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #477 on: 06 March, 2017, 11:20:28 pm »
Those are going to be some really clean carrots...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #478 on: 07 March, 2017, 06:13:17 am »
Clean, salty carrots  ;D

« Reply #479 on: 21 March, 2017, 05:30:13 pm »
OH derailed the chain on her town bike on the way to work, and had no tools to open the chain case etc, so locked it up and walked the last mile. After doing the nursery drop-off I cycled to her work and picked up her key, walked to her bike and fixed the derailment - chain was a bit slack so I sorted that as well as the chain case (which is going to need a fettle with some new fixing bolts). Then back to her office and locked up her bike, followed by a nasty head- and cross-wind for the nursery pickup run; thankfully it had dropped a bit for the return leg and groceries trip. Tired now.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #480 on: 23 April, 2017, 08:14:56 pm »
I nipped into town for the Scouts' St George's Day parade, and thought of Pancho and his utilitarian adventures.  Then I realised I was riding my bendy bike that I bought off Jogler and thought of him too.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #481 on: 23 April, 2017, 09:33:21 pm »
I nipped into town for the Scouts' St George's Day parade, and thought of Pancho and his utilitarian adventures.  Then I realised I was riding my bendy bike that I bought off Jogler and thought of him too.
It is my sister's 60th tomorrow and amongst the cake and bubbles today we were trying to figure out why the Polak scouts always did a big thing on Big G's day - I reckoned it was because of patron saint-ness - it looks like I was right - and also I get to celebrate as Polaks generally do name days rather than birthdays and my name translates as..... George.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #482 on: 23 April, 2017, 09:59:41 pm »
It is my sister's 60th tomorrow and amongst the cake and bubbles today we were trying to figure out why the Polak scouts always did a big thing on Big G's day - I reckoned it was because of patron saint-ness - it looks like I was right - and also I get to celebrate as Polaks generally do name days rather than birthdays and my name translates as..... George.

Ooh, that reminds me. We've got a Polish troop in our town, but they're run separately to the regular scouts.  Didn't see them at today's do, perhaps they cooked Polish sausages over their own fire.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #483 on: 23 April, 2017, 10:04:55 pm »

Ooh, that reminds me. We've got a Polish troop in our town, but they're run separately to the regular scouts.  Didn't see them at today's do, perhaps they cooked Polish sausages over their own fire.
Doubtless they'll have been doing their own ting, antisocial lot  ;)
Prolly didn't want to share their gherkins with you (not a euph).

« Reply #484 on: 06 May, 2017, 02:50:38 pm »
To Evans for gloves they hadn't got and then to the wife's office to collect the car, which wasn't there. Wrong office  :facepalm:

ian

« Reply #485 on: 06 May, 2017, 08:05:21 pm »
Went out to buy some oil for my squeaky bike. Forgot to buy oil (well, I remembered, but there's never a bike shop when you need one). Cycling around London and all the way back home with twelve bottles of beer and a cauliflower*. I was going to get the train for the last league with the boozy booty as it was rather heavy (a couple of those are 750 ml bottles, but who can resist a Burning Sky Cuvee) but I thought what the hell, it's only six more miles.

At some point later I was forced to remember that 5.5 of those miles are practically vertical.

*let it not be said that this boy, when left unsupervised, doesn't know how to party.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #486 on: 25 May, 2017, 11:34:47 am »
Not me but Mrs menthel and small, talkative menthel cycled to school for the first time today. M wife is a veteran cycle commuter but this is a first for the boy! He insisted on wearing his new cycling gloves too! ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #487 on: 25 May, 2017, 11:51:46 am »
Excellent. Let's hope this is the start of lifelong trend for small, talkative menthel – even when he's big, taciturn menthel!  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

menthel

« Reply #488 on: 25 May, 2017, 12:38:06 pm »
Excellent. Let's hope this is the start of lifelong trend for small, talkative menthel – even when he's big, taciturn menthel!  :D

He thinks of himself as a cyclist, always has- even before he could ride a bike! But then he was carried on Mrs menthel's bike from a very young age. And to be fair to him he managed the 12km each way to Barnes wetlands centre at the weekend, including some tricky (as in scared the hell out of me having to look after him!) road sections. I think he will do alright on his bike. ;)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #489 on: 23 June, 2017, 10:05:27 am »
Yesterday my utilitarian adventures were very much in the Panchoist mould. I cycled 6 miles each way to a beach for a swim, and then to the LBS (3 miles each way) for a new tyre and assorted other gubbins. He was very much in my thoughts.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #490 on: 23 June, 2017, 11:03:55 am »

He thinks of himself as a cyclist, always has- even before he could ride a bike! But then he was carried on Mrs menthel's bike from a very young age. And to be fair to him he managed the 12km each way to Barnes wetlands centre at the weekend, including some tricky (as in scared the hell out of me having to look after him!) road sections. I think he will do alright on his bike. ;)

Cool.  :thumbsup:

seraphina

« Reply #491 on: 23 June, 2017, 11:22:26 am »
Mile and a bit each way to the post office, with the boy in the seat. Took a bit of convincing to get him on after he pulled the bike on top of him whilst I was getting ready :-[

« Reply #492 on: 23 June, 2017, 10:35:46 pm »
Resilience through adversity !
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #493 on: 24 June, 2017, 08:00:05 pm »
Putting change in a RNLI collection on the walking bit (from hippy egg shop back to where I'd left bike near library) of a utility trip this morning was a sort of double-Pancho moment.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #494 on: 24 June, 2017, 08:04:29 pm »
Mile and a bit each way to the post office, with the boy in the seat. Took a bit of convincing to get him on after he pulled the bike on top of him whilst I was getting ready :-[

seraphina

« Reply #495 on: 25 June, 2017, 09:08:08 am »
Pretty much! I bribed him with two Love Hearts and by the timAnd he'd finished those he was in the seat and we were at the bottom of the street. A few rounds of Wheels on the Bus and Ten Green bottles and we were sorted. He quite likes the actual riding, just not the gettting on or off.

menthel

« Reply #496 on: 27 June, 2017, 01:31:12 pm »

Indeed! They have done it again a few times now. I also scoped out a potential route for when we move (hopefully!) so that he will have to go twice as far!
Cool.  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #497 on: 28 June, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »
Ventured to the Exotic East aka Brislington on a rather soggy mission. Then was going to go home and get changed into dry clothes, having realised the jacket I'd taken is not waterproof at all, but decided no point as I'd have to go straight out again. So up to the Near North (aka Horfield) for various goodies. Served as impromptu interpreter in a CAEK shop where a prison officer was on a mission to get them to offer staff discount (answer: wait for the boss). Bought a laurel wreath(!!!) on the way back. Riding in the rain is about ten times as tiring as riding in fine weather, especially when you're civvy-shoed feet keep slipping on the pedals.

« Reply #498 on: 02 July, 2017, 05:45:33 pm »
First run to charity shop with books in panniers than onto post office to get parcel. Hadn't thought through but managed to get it wedged on top of pannier rack. Home via butchers. Second charity shop run with burley bee full (will need a Bob or similar when the burley moves on. Eldest monkeys bike into burley then collected them. Youngest into burley and then onto school fete and then finally home.

rr

« Reply #499 on: 05 July, 2017, 01:25:46 pm »
Inspection by bike this morning

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk