Author Topic: Anyone looked at the motor in a kenwood chef A701A?  (Read 3672 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Anyone looked at the motor in a kenwood chef A701A?
« on: 09 May, 2016, 11:47:57 pm »
Thought I would ask here as you lot do know alot.

I was given an old kenwood chef that seemed to have speed issues, well the speed dail din't do anything till a few of the late numbers.  So striped everyhing, checked the brushes and the cleanes the motor out with brake cleaner, it had quite a bit of floor and dirt in it.  There was also, what I assumed to be, a broken wire which I replaced.  Now it doesn't seem to work as well as before.

Any ideas where I went wrong?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Anyone looked at the motor in a kenwood chef A701A?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2016, 12:01:09 am »
I know nothing about chefs, Kenwood or otherwise, so could be completely wrong.   But speed controller not doing much makes me suspect a FET, thyristor or similar power semiconductor has failed short circuit, as is their way.  Not sure how a broken wire fits into that picture, thobut.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2016, 12:25:00 am »
Yes, it seems some models have problems with the capacitors failing etc. You can buy repair kits to replace the worn out parts.
eg from https://www.kenwoodchefrestore.co.uk/shop/
or http://lanas-kenwood-spares.co.uk/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2016, 01:46:34 pm »
It seems that fault is a common one with the older Chef models. Mine was similar.

I decided to send mine to KCR and get the motor upgrade and a service, so they cleaned all the gearbox out and put new feet on as well. The reason I went for the motor upgrade was because I specifically wanted to mix bread dough in it so I thought the new motor might be rather more robust for that.
Seemed to cope mixing ciabatta dough for several minutes at a time.

See my thread here:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=93931.msg1937504#msg1937504
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2016, 04:41:44 pm »
I know nothing about chefs, Kenwood or otherwise, so could be completely wrong.   But speed controller not doing much makes me suspect a FET, thyristor or similar power semiconductor has failed short circuit, as is their way.  Not sure how a broken wire fits into that picture, thobut.

Later chef have electronic speed control but the earlier ones have a govenor that works to control the speed like a steam engine.

Will haveto take it apart again and take some photos.  Also take photos of my repair.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2016, 04:49:12 pm »
It seems that fault is a common one with the older Chef models. Mine was similar.

I decided to send mine to KCR and get the motor upgrade and a service, so they cleaned all the gearbox out and put new feet on as well. The reason I went for the motor upgrade was because I specifically wanted to mix bread dough in it so I thought the new motor might be rather more robust for that.
Seemed to cope mixing ciabatta dough for several minutes at a time.

See my thread here:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=93931.msg1937504#msg1937504

Thank you. Looked and the website has the motor for the 901 not the 701, but that is £80 and a full refurb s really expensive.  Think that standard motor should be alright as I will be doing cakes and bread in it too.  Have been given a major as well! With just a whisk attachment so will see what is wrong with that later.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #6 on: 06 February, 2017, 07:48:12 pm »
Crumbs these things multiply  :facepalm:  So I now have three.  Anyone want to buy one ;)

« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2017, 09:08:56 am »
If you want to see the inside of one, James May built one on The Assembler recently. Might still be on Iplayer
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #8 on: 09 February, 2017, 04:12:56 pm »
I've looked inside three  ;D

Looks like one of the early ones works but has stripped the gearbox pinion. Tempted to do a straight gearbox swop so have a working mixer.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2017, 01:36:19 am »
This is now becoming an obsession  ::-)

Have ended up with quite a few.  One is off being powder coated a colour that will go well with the baby blue and another is off at a painter to practice finishes on.

Have figured out how to recondition the motors.  The motors are a testament to kenwoods engineering.  Usually motor problems are because the electrical bushes are worn, and the electrical components could do with a refresh.  Really simple to do.