Author Topic: Cestyll Cymru 300, saturday 18th june  (Read 9058 times)

Cestyll Cymru 300, saturday 18th june
« on: 14 May, 2016, 07:29:47 pm »
As being one of the foreign members of YACF, I intend to ride this brevet in Wales during our holidays in Britain this june.

Does anyone have some more information about this edition?

I already read some of the information here: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-620/

Cheers!
Still have to do my write up of L-E-L '17.

Re: Cestyll Cymru 300, saturday 18th june
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2016, 08:08:40 am »
I think this is the first time it is being run as a 300km. I think it is last years 200km route with an extra trip over to the island of Angelsey and up to Holyhead and back. I have not got around to riding this event yet but it is in my calendar for this year
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

Gruby Mits

• I am in this only for the cake factor
« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2016, 12:17:08 pm »
Have not ridden it, but knowing most of the roads I think it looks a great ride for scenery and interesting climbs. If I can I will do the 200km this year and perhaps the 300 next year.
What? Turn left that way?

« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2016, 04:03:31 pm »
Thanks for your reactions, I am curious about the part on the island.
Still have to do my write up of L-E-L '17.

« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2016, 09:53:29 am »
Anglesey is an island of the north Welsh coast, there are two bridges with the mainland, looks like you use both.
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2016, 10:30:46 am »
Looks like a nice event to put on the to-do list.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2016, 01:41:57 pm »
I've spotted these (for 2017). I'm not really a great climber though, and I'm not going to try this for a first 300. I'm curious because the 200 looks as though it might be flatter than the 130, which cuts across the mountains more. Obviously even the 200 has the Crimea Pass to get across.

Comments on terrain welcome. And yes, I know that it's Wales, so there will be hills; some of my earliest and best riding was around Lake Vyrnwy and Bala. I've a relative near Rhos, so I've seen some of the northern end, and I've ridden the B road from Betwys-y-Coed before, so I know that the last section may be the exception where hills are concerned.

« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2016, 10:49:13 am »
I rode the 200k last year (as part of a 400 ECE) and as you say, it's quite a steady ride.  It's not pan-flat but the hills are few and far between.  There's a bit of ascent at the start around The Orme and a long steady gradient on the cycle route after Caernarfon but apart from that, almost all of the climbing is contained within a few miles from just after Maentwrog, up to Ffestiniog and over the Crimea, hence the AAA points.  There is a short but very stiff climb up to the castle at Harlech but it can be easily pushed or avoided.  I'd say this is a very steady 200k and in July is ideal for a first time ride, especially if you like castles.

« Reply #8 on: 31 December, 2016, 05:48:17 pm »
Thanks, that's really helpful. I imagine the bit at the Orme that you mean is the Little Orme, just a couple of miles from the start. I've driven up that many times and ridden over it once, as my mother-in-law lives less than a mile from there.

« Reply #9 on: 01 January, 2017, 12:49:21 am »
Looks a lovely route.

I would suggest, although I can't be sure as it's only an outline map, that the route would take the "B" road into Harlech which is a much steadier climb. Much quieter that way.

« Reply #10 on: 01 January, 2017, 07:20:13 am »
Looks a lovely route.

I would suggest, although I can't be sure as it's only an outline map, that the route would take the "B" road into Harlech which is a much steadier climb. Much quieter that way.

Yes looks very nice, having downloaded .gpx it goes along A road below Harlech, although B road is a nicer quieter possibility. Quite a bit of A 470 used though, and the south 50km end of loop is covered on BCM 600 --but that`s no criticism as roads to use in that part Wales are fairly scarce, it`s A road or mountain passes !

It`s on my calendar anyway now  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #11 on: 01 January, 2017, 09:18:30 am »
Regarding the A roads mentioned above... I've ridden very little in Wales. I'm aware that A road there isn't always as unpleasant as A road in my native south east. Are they very busy?

« Reply #12 on: 01 January, 2017, 06:55:01 pm »
Regarding the A roads mentioned above... I've ridden very little in Wales. I'm aware that A road there isn't always as unpleasant as A road in my native south east. Are they very busy?

No not very busy cf SE etc but on a few occasions get used by car club runs as fast drive out routes. But if you`re used to SE etc roads they will still seem quite, most of traffic is tourist based at w/e
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #13 on: 01 January, 2017, 07:02:34 pm »
A large part of the first half of the 200k is on a segregated and well-surfaced cycleway.  Traffic on the "A" roads is never a problem, the busiest sections are probably briefly through Conwy and Bangor and then the road between Criccieth and Penrhyndeudraeth and the short stretch on the A5 at Betws Y Coed but none of these provides anything unpleasant.  As far as the extra sections of the 300k are concerned, I have never pedalled the old A5 across Anglesey but it's bypassed, so must be quiet and the A470 between Dolgellau and Trawsfynydd is not busy but expect some high speeds.  However, the road is wide and as with most A roads in Wales, in good condition.  All in all these are great rides, on good roads and well worth the effort, especially as they're in Wales, where sunshine is guaranteed.

Re: Cestyll Cymru 300 (2017)
« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2017, 02:08:27 pm »
Looks a lovely route.

I am signed up for this in a couple of months, booked into the chintziest B&B in the world (I suspect there is some competition for that!).  The B road into Harlech looks a good tip, same elevation as the A road but just a steady 5% under some shade (which could provide a welcome albeit brief respite from a bracing sea breeze).  Then again, the A road does have some lovely vistas, which looks like a main feature for most of the whole ride  :thumbsup:

Be interesting to see if anyone who completed the 2016 event had any other shouts?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #15 on: 05 June, 2017, 07:30:20 pm »
Looks a lovely route.

I am signed up for this in a couple of months, booked into the chintziest B&B in the world (I suspect there is some competition for that!).  The B road into Harlech looks a good tip, same elevation as the A road but just a steady 5% under some shade (which could provide a welcome albeit brief respite from a bracing sea breeze).  Then again, the A road does have some lovely vistas, which looks like a main feature for most of the whole ride  :thumbsup:

Be interesting to see if anyone who completed the 2016 event had any other shouts?

I am signed up for the 200 km... are you going to finish the 300 ahead of me?  ::-) ;D

I'm with a friend and we are staying in the camp site by the start

« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2017, 08:33:53 am »
Hey great stuff WATW, mio amico  :)  Not sure about finishing ahead of you but I am planning on an arrival at about the same time that you should be enjoying your second post-ride cuppa!  I will text you offline closer to the event in case a catch-up Friday/Saturday night is possible.

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Cestyll Cymru 300, July 8th
« Reply #17 on: 11 June, 2017, 11:09:05 am »
Is there an opportunity to sleep in the hall the night before? - coming from afar and it looks a lovely ride, with the benefit of being entirely uncharted territory for me.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #18 on: 11 June, 2017, 11:30:42 am »
Note changes to start place and time just made.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #19 on: 11 June, 2017, 11:50:38 am »
Note changes to start place and time just made.
:thumbsup:, thanks. Looks like the chinziest B+B is in the wrong town now - glad i haven't booked!

« Reply #20 on: 11 June, 2017, 12:57:38 pm »
So is it actually starting at the Premier Inn? That's even nearer - a stone's thrown from my m-i-l's.

« Reply #21 on: 11 June, 2017, 02:30:25 pm »
The organiser says
start and finish at The Premier Inn, Craigside, Llandudno.

« Reply #22 on: 11 June, 2017, 04:02:03 pm »
Thanks; that's helpful. I was pretty sure from the Ride With GPS track.

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Cestyll Cymru 300, July 8th
« Reply #23 on: 13 June, 2017, 06:54:01 am »
So no sleeping in the hall then. I'm camping nearby - not a regular camper but borrow the kid's tent, it's July - what can go wrong?

Re: Cestyll Cymru 300, 2017
« Reply #24 on: 13 June, 2017, 09:52:13 am »
Anyone planning on riding the events and relying on routecards should take a careful look asap.  They are direct exports from RidewithGPS so they are not written with a cyclist's eye in mind. The routes also have a degree of cyclepath options which may not be obvious from either the GPX or routecards.  The original control on Beaumaris is now a free control as the cafe that was there has closed.

Finally, anyone doing the 300k may wish to carefully think about the return across the menai straight.  The planned route is via the A55 which looks nothing short of horrid, complete with a short dual carriageway section and, what could be, a very busy interchange with the A487.  I am planning on a return to mainland via the Menai Bridge which adds a little mileage but not much.  There is also a small detour then available soon after on the A487 which, for the cost of a small 6% climb, will help riders to completely avoid the A55/A487 interchange and drop them back on the road to Caernafon soon after with a cyclepath on the LHS to help filter into a busy road.