Author Topic: Epic Bike Rides of the World book  (Read 1997 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Epic Bike Rides of the World book
« on: 21 September, 2016, 07:13:10 am »
I picked up this newly-published Lonely Planet title, in search of interesting ideas for future holidays. http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/world/epic-bike-rides-of-the-world-1/

It seems that I've already done a couple of the epic rides. For instance, there is a worthwhile piece on the Bryan Chapman Memorial by Matt Swaine. I hope he gets that Ti frame he is hankering after.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: Epic Bike Rides of the World book
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2016, 09:36:27 am »
I can highly recommend the Tour D'Afrique trip. its tough but beautiful . :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2016, 02:59:17 am »
I found a preview here: http://media.lonelyplanet.com/shop/pdfs/Epic%20Bike%20Rides%20of%20the%20World%201%20Preview.pdf

This year we've managed the US Pacific Coast, Vancouver & Whistler (which is listed as "epic" - hmm...) and parts of the Alps to Ocean Cycle Trail in New Zealand.  We also did A Circuit of the San Juan Islands (USA) Gulf Islands (Canada), they're the same group of islands so that counts, right?!

I'm impressed BCM has appeared in that list, although I guess PBP would be too "epic" to appear.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 03 October, 2016, 09:02:55 am »
Listed in 'More like this - Audax rides' after the BCM piece is PBP, LEL and Boston-Montreal-Boston. The last is an interesting choice because it hasn't existed as an event for a decade (HK and other AUKs rode the last one), surviving only as an infrequently ridden permanent. I suspect it is because there isn't a single obvious 1200km brevet within the North American market.

« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2017, 07:47:16 am »
I suspect it is because there isn't a single obvious 1200km brevet within the North American market.
other than the following (and others)
Big Wild Ride 1200 km (Alaska, USA)
Cascade 1200 (USA)
Colorado High Country 1200k Randonnée (USA)
Gold Rush Randonnée (USA)
Granite Anvil 1200 (Canada)
Last Chance 1200k Randonnée (USA)
Rocky Mountain 1200 (Canada)
Texas Rando Stampede (USA)
Taste of Carolina 1200k (USA)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2017, 08:05:31 am »
I've done one on that list and HK has finished more than one, along with Cracker Swamp 1200 and BMB06. As I said, there isn't a single obvious North American 1200 brevet to ride. France has several 1200km brevets but PBP is THE French 1200 to ride.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2017, 12:40:00 pm »
I got this book for Christmas.

I suspect I will be largely taking part from my sofa.  :-[