Author Topic: Which Folder that ISN'T a Brompton?  (Read 6967 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Which Folder that ISN'T a Brompton?
« on: 10 June, 2008, 11:01:03 pm »
New to folders, when I was a youngster folders were made of gas pipe and hinged in the middle whether fastened or not  :o

Also folding did not mean portable. Storage of folding bikes meant that the bike took up the same amount of space. A folded bike was half the length and twice the width with lots of dangerous sticky-out bits!

What I want is something to go to my new job on. There's no shower facility so a full commute is not on. It's 35 mins and I can't sit for 9 hours and stink! The bus will drop me 2 miles from work so a folder is the best option. I'm looking at Embra Co-op's own brand at £229 or the Rudgeback (preferred) at £449. This is - to me - a huge amount to spend in one go but I'm hoping to persuade my new employer that it is worthwhile getting involved in 'Bike to Work'

What do you think of my two choices of bike? Retailer? Strategy?

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
Re: Which Folder that ISN'T a Brompton?
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2008, 11:35:38 pm »
As of 23:33 18 people have read this post and no one has posted a reply.

Does this mean that there aren't any folders which aren't Bromptons?

Or do the mods have to change the Folders section of Freewheeling to Bromptons?

;D

J
VELOMANCER

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2008, 11:45:25 pm »
go for a Ridgeback on a bike to work scheme if you can; assuming it's a Dahon clone; avoid anything less than £200 they are simply horrible with the possible exception of the Compass which is basic in the extreme (and also a Dahon) but a very good buy

« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2008, 04:22:30 am »
If your going to be taking it on a bus every day then you may find anything dahon sized too big when folded.

Can I recommend a brompton?  :demon:
Don't ask.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2008, 07:18:09 am »
Storage of folding bikes meant that the bike took up the same amount of space. A folded bike was half the length and twice the width with lots of dangerous sticky-out bits!

That's why I'm going for a Brompton.  ;)

I'd check out the folded size in person.  It's hard to visualise accurately beforehand...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2008, 07:49:10 am »
the dahons arent as small as bromptons when folded, and the folding process seems a bit slower and fiddlier.  I guess there's a reason why everyone rides bromptons... (and it cant *all* be marketing :))

Lizzie

• Quite harmless
« Reply #6 on: 11 June, 2008, 07:49:54 am »
I've got a Dahon Curve SL and love it.

As Mike says, it's not quite as small as the Brompton when folded but, in my view at least, is much cuter (presuming, of course, that cuteness is one of your primary deciding factors ;D). It may also be lighter (in this version rather than the D3) I think.

I don't find it at all fiddly to fold.

Used to have a Ridgeback folder, which was lovely too (that was a shiny silver colour ;D), so, of your two choices, I'd go for the Ridgeback (which is most likely a Dahon anyway).

Hill Slug

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2008, 08:44:51 am »
the dahons arent as small as bromptons when folded, and the folding process seems a bit slower and fiddlier.  I guess there's a reason why everyone rides bromptons... (and it cant *all* be marketing :))
I don't think Bromptons are heavily marketed.  They can't make them fast enough, so what's the point?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2008, 08:49:54 am »
you're probably right - marketing wasnt the right word to use, perhaps 'hype' would be a better one.  I dont mean it at all negatively, but they do get a lot of mentions in the media as an example of a plucky british manufacturing company, including a completely random inclusion on R4 a couple of days ago. 

They're either very lucky or have a good PR...  (yes, I know having a good product helps - but you need luck & PR as well as a good product)

« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2008, 08:52:40 am »
I guess there's a reason why everyone rides bromptons... (and it cant *all* be marketing :))

I don't! They don't ride as nice as the Dahons IMO and that matters to me...  :-[

Point taken they don't fold as small, but for everything else (price, equipment, ride) they are better than a Brompton, again IMO.  :o For £500 a MuP8 is quite a nice package for example.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

rogerzilla

« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2008, 09:21:59 am »
Does a Dahon fold with the chain on the inside of the "package"?  The salesman yesterday reckoned not many do, except Bromptons.  It's important if you take it on the train, and a nice-to-have if you put it in a car.

Becky

« Reply #11 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:00:21 am »
Edinburgh Bicycle's Revolution folder is also a Dahon-built frame if I remember correctly.  I've seen at least one being ridden around the city.

All of the Dahons and equivalent that hinge in the middle aren't as stable when folded, mine in particular.  That can get annoying on trains when you're having to prop it up.

You might want to look at the Mezzo, too; a very 'engineered' looking bike and it folds well, but it's also into Brompton price territory.

alan

« Reply #12 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:04:11 am »
Marj & I each have a Trek F400 which retail @ approx. £400 IIRC.
It folds quickly & easily (chain external when folded).When folded they fit comfortably on the luggage rack of a bus or coach so I assume a train journey would present no problems in that regard.
The gearing is ideal for pootling to avoid sweating unless you have chevron-type hills on your short 2 mile commute.Take some wet wipes & a flannel & deodorant with you to refresh those bits which may need attention
TBH there are better equipped folders out there for similar £ which include mudgaurds & a rear rack for instance.Ours were acquired via the medieval barter system following work I had done for my LBS ;)

Your strategy appears sound to me especially if your employer embraces the Ride to Work scheme.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #13 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:26:16 am »
and the folding process seems a bit slower and fiddlier. 

While the Brompton fold is infinitely neater, what with the chain on the inside and smaller and everyfink, it sure is not *quicker*.

A brompton needs 4 actions to fold: kick back wheel under bike, lower saddle, fold steerer, fold top/down tube. A Dahon only needs three: saddle, steerer, top/down tube. The fold is with cam levers, and no with bolt jobs.

I don't think it's better, but it sure is faster.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #14 on: 11 June, 2008, 12:31:26 pm »
Thank you everyone for your replies and advice. It isn't snobbery that precludes a Brompton, it's a lack of cash. So it has to be a Dahon or Ridgeback or similar.
As this is a 'daily driver' it has to be uber reliable. That's why I favoured the Ridgeback cos it's got a Nexus hub, less to damage, fewer bits to knock off.

If anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations or indeed has a folder they want to sell, please don't hesitate.

Thanks again so far

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

rogerzilla

« Reply #15 on: 11 June, 2008, 02:16:09 pm »
Thank you everyone for your replies and advice. It isn't snobbery that precludes a Brompton, it's a lack of cash. So it has to be a Dahon or Ridgeback or similar.
As this is a 'daily driver' it has to be uber reliable. That's why I favoured the Ridgeback cos it's got a Nexus hub, less to damage, fewer bits to knock off.

If anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations or indeed has a folder they want to sell, please don't hesitate.

Thanks again so far

luv'n'stuff

J
£449 will get you a decent s/h Brompton on eBay.  It's more than I would want to pay for a s/h bike, but the option is there.  Try and get a post-2000 model with the better main hinge, and preferably a current model (e.g. M3L, S2L, S3L).

M/S/P = type of handlebars (not interchangeable as the whole front of the bike is designed around them)

2/3/6 = number of gears.

L = just mudguards.  R=rack, I think.

outwith

« Reply #16 on: 11 June, 2008, 04:35:37 pm »
Does a Dahon fold with the chain on the inside of the "package"?  The salesman yesterday reckoned not many do, except Bromptons.  It's important if you take it on the train, and a nice-to-have if you put it in a car.

Bike Friday Tikits keep the chain inside, and folded aren't a lot bigger than a Brompton, though not quite as tidy.  But they're pricier than the OP wanted.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #17 on: 12 June, 2008, 09:51:30 pm »
I tried a Mezzo then a Brompton then a Ridgeback last year.  (Ridgeback is a rebadged Dahon)
If you're used to non folding bikes prepare to be underwhelmed.

CTC Forum :: View topic - The Reluctant Folder

rogerzilla

« Reply #18 on: 13 June, 2008, 06:49:43 am »
I'll do a FNRttC on it.  I used to do long distance rides on a Chopper - it's not about the bike  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 13 June, 2008, 10:12:37 pm »
Can't go far wrong with the Revolution.  Don't be misled by the price.  It is AFAIK a Dahon re-badged, and EBC are good at coming up with the goods for a disturbingly low price.
Getting there...

Becky

« Reply #20 on: 13 June, 2008, 11:41:41 pm »
Can't go far wrong with the Revolution.  It is AFAIK a Dahon re-badged, and ...

Didn't I just say that earlier?  ???