Author Topic: Cheap folder?  (Read 3827 times)

Zoidburg

Cheap folder?
« on: 18 July, 2008, 06:15:20 pm »
Halfrauds, the place I never shop in, have bog standard Raleigh folders on sale which look V similar to Dahon frames

Raleigh Caldera Folding Bike from Halfords
Was £249.99

Save £100.00
Price £149.99
Extra 10% off Bikes, Accessories, Wheeled Toys & Fitness

I am sure the finishing kit is a load of tommy tank but £149 doesnt seem half bad, of course you would have to buy it and then insist that they dont do the bike prep as they always screw it up, do it yourself or get a spanner owning friend to to do it.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Cheap folder?
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2008, 11:37:58 am »
The first thing I always do with a new bike is rip it apart  ;)

On the latest one I dismantled and rebuilt the rear wheel, fitted a new front wheel, changed the gearing, changed the pedals, binned all the reflectors and fitted lights, changed the tyres, tubes and rim tape, fitted bottle bosses, fitted bar ends and made numerous adjustments.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2008, 07:43:48 pm »
That's gonna ride like it has a hinge in the middle - regardless of whether you tightened it or not.

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Zoidburg

« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2008, 07:52:55 pm »
Well that rules out anything but a brompton then...

I think not.

bobajobrob

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2008, 09:01:33 pm »
The cassette freewheel is made of cheese* as are probably most of the other bits on it.

* Used a similar beast on an old tourer, and not only did it weigh a tonne but I destroyed it within 1000 miles.

So if you rip it apart and replace all the bits, you might have a decent bike, but then you might as well have bought a Dahon.

Rapples

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2008, 09:08:31 pm »
Yebut Yebut, what do you want a folder for.  Cheap as chips, knock it about on your commute, replace things that break if needed. :thumbsup:

How much is a Brompton?

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2008, 09:17:45 pm »
I'm going for a Cyclescheme Dahon Vitesse 7 with Nexus gears (after my bicyclesnot4u nearly killed me today) for only a little bit more (my hospital doesn't deal with Halfords; do any of the schemes?)