Author Topic: The winter of asphalt destruction 2018/19  (Read 1485 times)

The winter of asphalt destruction 2018/19
« on: 26 September, 2018, 01:55:34 pm »
I'm not looking forward to this winter. I never do, but this one in particular.

A lot of my usual quiet(ish) cycling roads have really suffered this summer. The prolonged heat making the edges sag and sink to create big longitudinal cracks along the offside wheel track. With an 'even colder (than last year)' winter being forecast, frost-heave is going to absolutely rip them apart.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, but I foresee some very tricky riding conditions ahead, especially for group riding.  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The winter of asphalt destruction 2018/19
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2018, 01:59:14 pm »
Amid the ongoing debate of whether wide tyres are faster, slower, a foolish trend, a sensible return to normality, etc, the deterioration of road surfaces, and its likely continuation for the foreseeable future, seems a pretty good point in their favour.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2018, 02:32:54 pm »
Exactly the same round here, Vale of the White Horse seem to have an allergy against road repairs.

« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2018, 02:54:05 pm »
Exactly the same round here, Vale of the White Horse seem to have an allergy against road repairs.

Troo fact.  I'm running 28mm at ~65/75 psi.  The section between W.Hanney and Southmoor is half decent still. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2018, 03:01:03 pm »

Troo fact.  I'm running 28mm at ~65/75 psi.  The section between W.Hanney and Southmoor is half decent still. 

That was resurfaced fairly recently; it's only had one Winter at the most.

« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2018, 03:38:31 pm »

That was resurfaced fairly recently; it's only had one Winter at the most.
     A rare treat.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2018, 11:02:38 am »
We’ve been badgering our local council,North Yorkshire) to repair potholes caused several years ago by hard frosts.The damage was particularly noticeable under tress where there had been just enough sun to thaw the frost and allow water to seep in before it froze again. Thankfully,they have relaid large sections of the road leading to the village ,largely due to us making the County Councillor endure the complaints every time that he came to our Parish Council meetings. All they need to do now is tar and chip the road.

A lot of the poor surfaces are due to crap reinstatement work by contractors working for the utility companies. There is supposed to be some protocol for this type of work but it seems like cold rolled DIY grade stuff is widely used.

« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2018, 12:13:11 pm »
Surrey heath seems to have had a recent spate of resurfacing around Chobham Common  :o which will hopefully improve some of the evening 10 times on the local courses. They have planed the surface down 50mm and placed a few 100ms of the worst sections.  :thumbsup: