Author Topic: WinGDB3 - what should I do with my corrupted routes?  (Read 1432 times)

WinGDB3 - what should I do with my corrupted routes?
« on: 14 September, 2011, 10:36:39 pm »
I have plotted routes for the forthcoming MK600, but when I convert to GPX, then reload, mapsource says it's not a valid file. However, if I delete the routes or convert them, or convert the tracks I made out of the routes (using WInGDB3), it's fine. However, I don't know the what the benefits of the myriad of options I have are. Given I can convert routes using the "calculated number of additional viapoint..." method, or use any of the track -> route options, which one is going to give me the most useful reminder whilst also sticking to the track? I don't want random viapoint reminders every km if possible, but I do want it to light up at junctions during the night whilst sticking to the track. I'm doing a 3am start, riding through, probably on my own for the first and last bits, so I'd like to be able to rely on the routing rather than spend a couple of hundred km gawping at the wiggly track. It's only my 2nd 600, and my first straight through, hence the slight nerves about the second night.

I've tried the "calculated additional" route conversion, and I end up with random viapoint popups, but it is faithful to the route.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: WinGDB3 - what should I do with my corrupted routes?
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2011, 10:52:06 pm »
Try using:

Opt 21: convert tracks to routes with waypoints,
Select Split: Max length of split routes in KM => 100
Selct Filter : Number of points per route after filtering=> 50

For a 600km route, should give you 6x100 with 50 way points per route.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2011, 11:31:45 am »
when I convert to GPX, then reload, mapsource says it's not a valid file.

Mapsource is exceptionally picky about GPX files.  To be fair I think it is actually complying strictly to standards, where many GPX files made in other ways don't, quite.  The simple solution is to 'clean' the file by opening it and re-saving it in any one of several programs that are less fussy, after that Mapsource is usually happy. 
EasyGPS, GPS Babel, and the online service GPS Visualizer are all good for this, and free.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2011, 06:08:39 pm »

Mapsource is exceptionally picky about GPX files.  To be fair I think it is actually complying strictly to standards, where many GPX files made in other ways don't, quite.  The simple solution is to 'clean' the file by opening it and re-saving it in any one of several programs that are less fussy, after that Mapsource is usually happy. 
EasyGPS, GPS Babel, and the online service GPS Visualizer are all good for this, and free.
I can't remember but it could be that the GPX is of version 1.0 and the OPs version of Mapsource only understands version 1.1. I don't have a computer booted into windows to check right now. GPSBabel, by default produces 1.0 GPX, at least my version does.

« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2011, 09:54:30 pm »
Try using:

Opt 21: convert tracks to routes with waypoints,
Select Split: Max length of split routes in KM => 100
Selct Filter : Number of points per route after filtering=> 50

For a 600km route, should give you 6x100 with 50 way points per route.

Thanks - this option does enough for me. Exactly what I was after.

Thanks, will try that next time I do it.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2011, 09:17:32 am »
As noted, Mapsource can be a bit picky about GPX tracks. I've occasionally cleared a 'buggy' GPX rejected by Mapsource by loading it in Bikehike and then downloading it again, i.e., bikehike reads the buggt version and writes a clean one for me.