Author Topic: [HAMR] One Year Timetrial - photos urgently needed!  (Read 15707 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: One Year Timetrial - photos urgently needed!
« Reply #25 on: 16 December, 2014, 08:23:17 pm »
From memory, it was quite serious for Chris.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #26 on: 16 December, 2014, 08:26:51 pm »
I seem to remember some photos taken of successful Crackpot riders. Ah yes http://www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/1998%20Finishers.pdf Reads like a Who's Who of audax.

I believe TG road this on fixed  8)
Mojo is being awakened.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #27 on: 16 December, 2014, 08:37:01 pm »
Steve at Wisborough Green with Paul Whitehead and Alan (Pedals) Pedliham

Pedals! Blimey. I remember that name, not sure from where. Didn't he used to inhabit uk.rec.cyclimng? I was on a Tandem Club ride years ago and we spied this bloke on fixed coming towards us. Chainring the size of a dinner plate. "You know who that is?" asked my mate "That's Pedals Pedliham" he continued, in awe.

(Back on topic: I'm sure I've got one or two of Steve. Eating. )
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #28 on: 16 December, 2014, 09:11:50 pm »
I seem to remember some photos taken of successful Crackpot riders. Ah yes http://www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/1998%20Finishers.pdf Reads like a Who's Who of audax.

He did.
It was a knee-popping experience for me, even with gears.

« Reply #29 on: 16 December, 2014, 09:32:40 pm »

He did.
It was a knee-popping experience for me, even with gears.

Yup. TG, Pedals, and I are the only ones to complete all three...but TG did it on fixed.

« Reply #30 on: 16 December, 2014, 09:41:34 pm »
Chris Avery got cancer and survived. That wasn't long after he was hit by a car on a 300, which made a mess of his knee. He now rides a motorbike with PB Bear.

I rode all 3 Crackpots on fixed.
Alan "Pedals" Pedliham rode the last 2 on fixed as well as the first one on gears.
Rob Gray rode the last Crackpot on fixed, so that's 3 of us who have finished Crackpot on fixed.
Anne Learmonth is the only lady to have finished Crackpot.

I also rode the Crackpot route (except for where my GPS went tits up near the end and I loosely followed the route) on fixed just within the time limit in 2012, starting in heavy rain. I did that on fixed too and walked up a lot more hills than I did on the events. The difference was that I used to "train" for Crackpot but this time Crackpot was training for the 24 hour time trial.

« Reply #31 on: 16 December, 2014, 10:32:53 pm »
If you haven't already tried it...   A google images search of "site:yacf.co.uk teethgrinder"  yields a few pics...   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #32 on: 16 December, 2014, 10:33:51 pm »
Chris Avery got cancer and survived. That wasn't long after he was hit by a car on a 300, which made a mess of his knee. He now rides a motorbike with PB Bear.

:thumbsup:

Good to hear that he is still on two wheels on the road.

In the '98 Crackpot Chris, Shawn and myself packed at the same railwaystation. All absolutely knackered.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #33 on: 16 December, 2014, 11:41:45 pm »
I think I am correct in suggesting that a certain well-respected long-standing organiser living on the south coast is pleased to see the comments above, prompted by his pictures. Y'see, audax is about the rides coming up but also about the rides we've done. There's a lot of history in this. We stand on the shoulders of giants.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #34 on: 17 December, 2014, 01:07:00 pm »
I think I am correct in suggesting that a certain well-respected long-standing organiser living on the south coast is pleased to see the comments above, prompted by his pictures. Y'see, audax is about the rides coming up but also about the rides we've done. There's a lot of history in this. We stand on the shoulders of giants.

I can still remember the 7.5t truck Els Supremo feed stop on his 400. IIRC it was 1997 and the first edition of El Supremo's 400 that went through Great Bedwyn, which became a very popular road on a number of Audax events from that area.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #35 on: 17 December, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »
I can still remember the 7.5t truck Els Supremo feed stop on his 400. IIRC it was 1997........
I have also had El Supremo feeds I could still remember years later.........
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #36 on: 17 December, 2014, 03:07:07 pm »
I can still remember the 7.5t truck Els Supremo feed stop on his 400. IIRC it was 1997........
I have also had El Supremo feeds I could still remember years later.........

That's serious indigestion!

(no offence, El)

rob

« Reply #37 on: 17 December, 2014, 03:42:17 pm »

I can still remember the 7.5t truck Els Supremo feed stop on his 400. IIRC it was 1997 and the first edition of El Supremo's 400 that went through Great Bedwyn, which became a very popular road on a number of Audax events from that area.

And turned at whatever that 24hr caff on the industrial estate at Cirencester was called.    Started late Friday night and rode through which explains why everyone was asleep.   I can't have been far away when that photo was taken.

« Reply #38 on: 17 December, 2014, 04:55:24 pm »
The cafe in Cirencester was called Greasy Joe's.

« Reply #39 on: 17 December, 2014, 05:01:52 pm »

Chris is still riding his motorbike. I've just had a Christmas card from him with a picture of him bungee jumping and another one with his motorbike 150m from the most southerly point of South Africa.

Alan Pedals got married and has a young son, but doesn't do much riding nowadays. He's still a postie in Croydon.

I rode all 3 Crackpots on fixed.
Alan "Pedals" Pedliham rode the last 2 on fixed as well as the first one on gears.
Rob Gray rode the last Crackpot on fixed, so that's 3 of us who have finished Crackpot on fixed.
Anne Learmonth is the only lady to have finished Crackpot.

I also rode the Crackpot route (except for where my GPS went tits up near the end and I loosely followed the route) on fixed just within the time limit in 2012, starting in heavy rain. I did that on fixed too and walked up a lot more hills than I did on the events. The difference was that I used to "train" for Crackpot but this time Crackpot was training for the 24 hour time trial.

rob

« Reply #40 on: 17 December, 2014, 05:23:09 pm »

That was it.   Many a happy hour talking to clubbers in the wee small hours.

« Reply #41 on: 17 December, 2014, 05:35:33 pm »
Sadly no longer a 24 hour cafe  :(
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #42 on: 17 December, 2014, 06:06:31 pm »
Greasy joes always good had many a meal there at different hours of day and night.  The bypass takes the traffic away from it :-[

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #43 on: 17 December, 2014, 07:36:48 pm »
In the 2009 FNRttS thread, there's a photo of Steve at road-runner's house eating a metric shedload of cake.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #44 on: 18 December, 2014, 09:17:38 am »

It was a control on the 1st ever audax I rode (Nik Pergrine's 150* from Aust services on 28th Feb 1987). Other controls were a pub in Sherston and a cafe in Wootton Bassett.

*much nearer to 200 than 150.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #45 on: 18 December, 2014, 12:22:39 pm »
Sadly no longer a 24 hour cafe  :(

(Wandering OT) Sadly no longer a cafe at all :( From the little I know, the council declined to renew the lease, and I think the land's up for developments. There's a McDonald's next door, if any perms use it as a control.

« Reply #46 on: 18 December, 2014, 05:22:46 pm »
That's even sadder news :(
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #47 on: 18 December, 2014, 06:14:31 pm »
Even further off topic - anyone old enough to remember Macs Cafe on the A$ at Theale?  Any survivors from time triallists who had B&B in the railway carriage ?

« Reply #48 on: 18 December, 2014, 08:09:57 pm »
Gosh now your going back. .. a night at Macs was great and even a breakfast was served even if you was TT'ing at 06.00

bet there are not many of you still alive when Ray (the boot) Booty beat the 4 hours for a HUNDRED miles.

wow appy days
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #49 on: 18 December, 2014, 08:20:26 pm »
bet there are not many of you still alive when Ray (the boot) Booty beat the 4 hours for a HUNDRED miles.

Oh I dunno, people who are now 58 (scarcely out of the cradle) were alive then!

(Sorry, very off-topic)

Back to TG photos...