Author Topic: Three Peaks Cycle  (Read 2333 times)

Three Peaks Cycle
« on: 06 November, 2012, 02:40:57 pm »
So, I have agreed to do this in April 2013 for addaction.org.uk

Ben Nevis, 275m, Scafell, 195m, Snowdon in 72 hours.

Just wondered if anyone had done it at all, and how they trained for it? I've cycled those distances before, and I have climbed each mountain as well, but not tried to put it all together whilst underslept.

Possible long shot, but with the long distance cyclists on here, you never know ;)

Re: Three Peaks Cycle
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2012, 03:16:33 pm »
The traditional challenge is to walk them all in a 24 period driving between, I know a number of locals from the S'dale / Ascot area who did this in May this year and can put you in touch if needed. They trained by doing plenty of walks in their boots, S'dale to Windsor for breakfast and back, Box hill footpaths up and down a couple of times etc.

When going for the 24 target they had designated drivers who didn't do the climbs but instead prepared food for the walkers to have it ready when they got back to the cars.

Cycling between the climbs is taking this to a further extreme and I wish you well for the challenge. Ouch.

« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2012, 03:25:09 pm »
Erm, Matthew, the point is I cycle between them, not get driven lol! ;)

But the local people who have done the walking part of it will always be useful. Thanks :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2012, 03:35:29 pm »
Erm, Matthew, the point is I cycle between them, not get driven lol! ;)
Entirely admirable, I approve. (And I assume you will be unsupported?)

I've never timed myself on this event (no point(s) ), so can't give you much advice. But a quick calculation, assuming about 3x4 hours on foot (could be rubbish, but I had to guess something) makes for a bike route of about LEL x 0.5, at a similar average speed. So you should be fine for July after this!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2012, 03:38:59 pm »
Flippin' heck that's a serious challenge. From a rough calculation on the map that comes in at around 600km ([edit]probably more like 700k) of cycling plus the climbs which I have no idea about. So a normal 600k audax is doable in around 40 hours, less if you are fast and cut sleep. But then you have the climbs as well.

Very impressive if you can do it. Best of luck.

Training wise, I'd probably want to be doing at least an SR as preparation plus as much hilly walking as possible thrown in.

Owner of a languishing Langster

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2012, 03:46:19 pm »
Damn You!

I really didn't need another challenge added to my "To Do" list (get's diary out)

« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2012, 03:53:54 pm »
It looks *something* like this

Day 1
Start 2pm:
Up and down Ben Nevis by 5.30-6
Cycle 50 miles

Day 2
Cycle 160 miles (although I'd prob do more and take some pressure off day 3, less faffing than usual required)

Day 3
6am, cycle 40 miles
10am-2pm ish up and down Scafell
90m cycle

Day 4
Leave by 4ish am cycle 100m
Get to Snowdon before 12- can get up and down it in 2 hours.

72 hours. I *do* realise it's not easy, and yes, there will be some running of the easier mountain bits. But when it's broken down, it seems nearly do-able.

« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2012, 04:35:37 pm »
i've never been up Snowdon - two hours seems very quick.

Scafell I know well. When I was young, stupid and very fit, I reckoned on it taking nearly an hour from the peak to the pub. The carpark is closer, but most of the time is lost on the very rocky summit - it is hard to move quickly on this or on the next bit of path. 4 hours for the round trip seems about right for someone as fit as yourself. In really nice weather, heavy trainers would suffice - but if it turns wet (about 70% of the time), you'll have soaked feet. Depends on how nimble-footed you are over loose rocks.

I know you'd be cycling; is there a support vehicle to carry extra clothes?  You can't realistically quickly get up and down the hills in cycling shoes and walking boots are awfully bulky.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2012, 04:43:06 pm »
I've done Snowdon up and down in a couple of hours before, and this isn't rigid, it's ish... It's just the 72 hours bit that's rigid. I'd definitely leave myself a little longer I would have thought as it's at the end, but its very easy on the touristy routes, and most of Snowdon is quite runnable.

I'd be in trail running shoes rather than walking boots, as I intend to run as much as possible. I'm pretty comfortable running on mountains.

Yes, I have a support vehicle to carry clothes, I wouldn't be fully loaded or anything.....I don't care how much easier that makes it before anyone tells me I'm cheating. I don't think I could do it carrying all my stuff as well, it needs to be manageable if I'm going to beg people for sponsorship money, I'm not going to set myself up to fail!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2012, 05:00:45 pm »
I believe 3peaker is your man.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #10 on: 06 November, 2012, 05:09:35 pm »
Is cycling to the the end of Borrowdale, walking up Scafell Pike while the car takes your bike to the top of Langdale allowed? The alternative is to leave the bike at the top of Stakes Pass.
http://www.fixthefells.co.uk/index/problem-2/solution/solutionfix/fixing.htm

« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2012, 07:44:48 pm »
It looks *something* like this

Day 1
Start 2pm:
Up and down Ben Nevis by 5.30-6
Cycle 50 miles

Day 2
Cycle 160 miles (although I'd prob do more and take some pressure off day 3, less faffing than usual required)

Day 3
6am, cycle 40 miles
10am-2pm ish up and down Scafell
90m cycle

Day 4
Leave by 4ish am cycle 100m
Get to Snowdon before 12- can get up and down it in 2 hours.

72 hours. I *do* realise it's not easy, and yes, there will be some running of the easier mountain bits. But when it's broken down, it seems nearly do-able.

I don't have much of a clue about the mountain running side of things, but if I wasn't going for the 24 hour next year, I'd be very interested in this.

It does look very do-able and from what I saw of you on the 600, I reckon you'd do very well at this, assuming that the stuff on foot goes to plan.

« Reply #12 on: 06 November, 2012, 10:34:25 pm »
Lady C, I have done the three peaks a couple of times.
The most difficult with regard to speed is definately Scafell. As has been said up thread, the area around the summit is boulders and scree and difficult to traverse at speed.
It is possible to run both decents on Snowdon and the Ben.

I did all three as part of an end to end in April. The cycling was bitterly cold with snow and fog.
The climbing part was all in fantastic conditions but all required full winter kit including crampons.
April is too early, lack of daylight and probably too much snow.

Anyway, enough of the negative vibes. I am happy to offer any assistance, including doing the hills with you in support.
Good luck. :)

« Reply #13 on: 07 November, 2012, 06:48:12 am »
Right. I have clearly come across as a naive female that thinks I'm off for a little walk up some hills.

So here goes. I have done all these peaks, so realise what they involve :) I've also done a lot of other climbing stuff, and have also completed the Lakeland 100 mile run, which takes them all in, and UTMB. I'm ok with hills.

I didn't really think daylight would be an issue as all 3 climbs are being done in the middle of the day? I seem to spend half my life cycling in the dark, so have no issues with any of that not being light. I don't stop cycling in winter (I did an end to end in snow and hail last year so know what Scotland can be like!) and I have done an SR this year so realise what the cycling distances are.

The reason this was picked is that 2 of my brother's friends heard about someone else who had done this and they approached me to do it, with them providing full support. My brother was practically a mountain goat that spent all his time in the fells (he did a Bob Graham Round once too). They wanted to do something they felt was appropriate, for an appropriate charity, to mark the year's anniversary of him passing away in April. And I think they've come up with an excellent, very fitting idea. I love it, and am more than happy to do the getting fit enough bit and get the scenery while they sit on their arses and drive around ;)

TG, I'd have had you down for 2 laps.... ;)

« Reply #14 on: 07 November, 2012, 08:58:05 am »
I beg your pardon if I've offended you, lady. From your earlier posts I didn't think you'd been up Scafell.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #15 on: 07 November, 2012, 09:23:52 am »
No no no not at all :) :) I just worried that people thought I was a bit clueless and didn't know what I was getting myself into. I do realise what I have agreed to, that's all I was trying to say, it's not going to be a shock half way up the mountain that's all.

At the moment, I'm anything but nimble-footed. I'm going to have to transform into a mountain goatess...... :)

« Reply #16 on: 07 November, 2012, 09:47:51 am »
In which case you are in a far better state than the local middle aged men and women I know who were driven round like wimps last year.

« Reply #17 on: 07 November, 2012, 05:46:25 pm »

Gee.
Errr, thanks.

I think. :-\

;D

It does sound like something I'd like to do. Maybe another year?
And, please don't put those ideas in my head about doing two laps.

« Reply #18 on: 08 November, 2012, 08:16:00 pm »

Gee.
Errr, thanks.

I think. :-\

;D

It does sound like something I'd like to do. Maybe another year?
And, please don't put those ideas in my head about doing two laps.

Of course we wouldn't. It's a three peaks challenge so you know three laps makes most sense.

Starting.........NOW!  ;D
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #19 on: 09 November, 2012, 04:54:23 pm »
Now that's more like it. :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: 09 November, 2012, 08:46:30 pm »
:D I assume you're posting having finished lap one?  :P
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #21 on: 09 April, 2013, 06:46:55 pm »
LC  is this happening?

« Reply #22 on: 10 April, 2013, 08:59:26 am »
Unfortunately not at the moment. One of the guys who wants to do all the support for this is back in rehab and as he wanted to do all the organising and be a part of it, the plan is to wait until he is better.

It's actually the 1st anniversary on Friday, so have been trying to think of something else to do instead, but haven't come up with anything yet.....

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 10 April, 2013, 05:56:49 pm »
Ride to Snowdon overnight?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles