Author Topic: VPN for Android tab/2 chromebooks  (Read 1342 times)

VPN for Android tab/2 chromebooks
« on: 24 July, 2018, 05:36:55 pm »
As per title.

I have an android tab and two chromebooks, all on the same google account.

Can you folks recommend a VPN that will work across all of them - if paid for, one with a single sub which will cover the three machines.

Looking for something effective but simple to use - am not too techie with such things so it will need a friendly front end.

Re: VPN for Android tab/2 chromebooks
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2018, 06:05:36 pm »
Remember that any free VPN (or anything else for that matter) you are the product. Companies exist to make money & if they're not selling you a product or service then they are selling you (your data) to someone.

The next point is what do you need a VPN for? Does it matter that a provider logs your traffic?
This site gives loads of info on VPNs https://thatoneprivacysite.net/choosing-the-best-vpn-for-you/

« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2018, 06:55:59 pm »
I very often yuse the devices on public wifi rusky and at times, particularly when touring, may be buying stuff, tickets etc. A vpn seemed a good idea.

I would also rather that some sites didn't have a meaningful IP address. Nothing dodgy, I assure you, just none of their business.

« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2018, 07:30:33 pm »
I use nordvpn for the same reasons and it lets me use US Netflix.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2018, 11:27:38 am »
Some thoughts from a recent Chromebook convert.

The PureVPN extension for Chrome works excellently.  However unlike Linux or Windows the browser VPN config seems to apply to the whole of ChromeOS.  As a result when I turn a VPN on in the browser, then I can no longer access other devices on my local LAN until I turn the browser VPN off.  Alternatively, I need to tunnel back into the other LAN device from the Internet.

From a security perspective this is probably good, a bit like a "no split tunnels" rule.  Security is why I got a Chromebook in the first place, as it is reputed to be today's device of choice for my fellow security professionals.

I haven't tested this with Android Apps on a Chromebook which are running in their own container.  From my experience, android apps cannot even talk to a 127.0.0.1 socket on their ChromeOS host!

On native Android , e.g. a phone or tablet, VPNs seem to work either using a supplied app (like PureVPN) or using the builtin VPN capability.

Android TV may be an exception, I've only had intermittent success with the PureVPN app on Android TV.

« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2018, 12:33:01 pm »
Ta for info so far folks.

Plug-in, some questions.  Please allow for the fact that I am nowhere near as techie as you.

I had a quick look at Purevpn.

Searched for it in the chromebook web store and couldn't find it.

A web search did find it and it does appear that it will work on a Chromebook though.

Is this functionality by acting as a "plug-in" or whatever on the chrome browser?

With regard to android it is an app?

Are there any drawbacks to PureVPN?

For a non techie user?

Part of the reason I ask is that it does seem rather cheap, particularly if you sign up for 2 years.

Any drawbacks to the 2 year deal?

« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2018, 01:59:59 pm »
Ta for info so far folks.

Plug-in, some questions.  Please allow for the fact that I am nowhere near as techie as you.

I had a quick look at Purevpn.

Searched for it in the chromebook web store and couldn't find it.

A web search did find it and it does appear that it will work on a Chromebook though.

Is this functionality by acting as a "plug-in" or whatever on the chrome browser?

>>  Yes, it is an extension (see https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/purevpn-free-vpn-proxy-un/bfidboloedlamgdmenmlbipfnccokknp?hl=en).  I originally installed it on the Chrome browser in Linux.  When I log in to the same Google user, it automatically installed on my Chromebook.

With regard to android it is an app?

>> Yes, Chrome on Android doesn't support extensions, so you need to install the app.

>> Only the Android TV app that I mentioned, the regular Android App is fine.  Support is good and actually answers messages.  The web site also has lots of good howto's.

For a non techie user?

>> Should be fine, I would think.  Just don't loose the email with the username and password!  The browser extensions (Chrome or Firefox) both have easy options for destination country or common functions, such as Netflix US, etc.

Part of the reason I ask is that it does seem rather cheap, particularly if you sign up for 2 years.

Any drawbacks to the 2 year deal?

>> I took a "lifetime" deal about 3 or 4 years ago and it has been fine.  This is actually a 5 year deal that needs to be renewed through a held desk call, but that hasn't rolled around yet.  PureVPN is based in Hong Kong, I would expect 2 years to be fine.

I use the one account on many devices without problem.

« Reply #7 on: 25 July, 2018, 02:12:22 pm »

>> Not a PureVPN issue but for all VPNs, many of the service providers are making it increasingly difficult to watch streaming services in other countries.  For instance Eurosport on Android insists that location access is granted and running (but not on the Eurosport web site :) yet)

« Reply #8 on: 25 July, 2018, 04:36:31 pm »
Many thanks plugin. Will seriously consider.