Author Topic: It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.  (Read 83703 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
And then there's the time you realized you were biting off more than you could chew a tad too late...

Failed attempt at the Central Scotland 300 Perm; Innerleithen

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand

I doubt Rapha will be using that one for their 2020 catalogue.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

I doubt Rapha will be using that one for their 2020 catalogue.

I look forward to CrossCountry using it on one of their "freewheeling all the way" demotivational how-to-book-a-dangly-bike-space posters[1], thobut.

[1] The current iteration features a mountain biker with handlebars that look like they wouldn't fit.

Easter Arrow 2019

McDonalds number 3 before breakfast time, you've already had a beef burger and a chicken burger and you've forgotten about the Fillet O' Fish as the other meat option.

1st Mac - Meal
2nd Mac - Apple pie / brownie / muffin & Milkshake
3rd Mac - Mozarella bites, fruit bag and coffee
4th Mac - Please god let the breakfast menu be available

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Easter Arrow 2019

McDonalds number 3 before breakfast time, you've already had a beef burger and a chicken burger and you've forgotten about the Fillet O' Fish as the other meat option.

1st Mac - Meal

Any sport that involves more than one visit to The Scottish Restaurant in a 24-hour period is immediately suspect IMHO.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Easter Arrow 2019

1st Mac - Meal

Any sport that involves more than one visit to The Scottish Restaurant in a 24-hour period is immediately suspect IMHO.
Not really. It puts the endurance in endurance sport.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Easter Arrow 2019

1st Mac - Meal

;D

I have the limitation of having unpleasant reactions to something in cheese and milk, that definitely isn't lactose (as that would only be unpleasant to me)
The beef then chicken approach worked for me on the first 2 visits, but the 3rd I stupidly only had an apple pie and fries, I must remember the fillet of fish next time I'm in that position.
THe further problem was that at the next control the food on offer was also a choice of chicken or beef; so I grabbed sweets... amateur hours.

Scottish Restaurant? Oh you mean the name...
I thought you meant chip shops, much more variety there you don't even need to eat the same variation of oatmeal more than once

1) white pudding supper with a mars bar and bottle of bru
2) black pudding supper with a twirl and a bottle of Red Kola
3) red pudding supper with a snickers and a bottle of Moray Cup
4) haggis supper with a crunchie and a bottle of fanta
5) fish supper and a bottle of coke
6) burger supper and a can of tango

Where's the challenge in that? (You may note I got fed up of the deep fried confectionery after the crunchie)

rogerzilla

Would it be possible to stop posting 3MB images to this thread, please?  They take rather a long time to load, and the forum won't display more than 640 x 640 anyway.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
test ignore...

Edit: hm, dodge photo host I picked doesn't resample to the size selected just sets the BBCode to tell the browser to resize appropriately, but thumbnail seems ok?
Edit2: What's even dafter is it seems to link to a 640x480 version of the image...

Chris S

I think I have retired from audax riding, and this thread will forever affirm that decision. Especially this:

It seems to fit in well with this:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I'm now picturing him diving into the toilet to rescue his Garmin, with a Brian Eno soundtrack.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
I'm now picturing him diving into the toilet to rescue his Garmin, with a Brian Eno soundtrack.

Do I need to develop a neddy Edinburgh accent or will my gadgie dundee/Fife one do?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

rogerzilla

That may not be The Worst Toilet In Scotland but it is a very nasty one.  I appreciate that Angel Delight Butterscotch brown seats are somewhat thin on the ground in the 21st century but black would have been better than white.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Would it be possible to stop posting 3MB images to this thread, please?  They take rather a long time to load, and the forum won't display more than 640 x 640 anyway.

I reckon dialup-esque image loading times seemed in keeping with the theme of the thread.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
A couple from Great North Road

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.

We were talking about this on the BCM yesterday, but decided it'd be ibuprofen one would be diving for from the toilet.

(This came up in conversation as one of our group needed the toilet, and being the sad fu**er I am, I knew that despite being in the middle of nowhere there was a decent public toilet a few miles up the road. I knew this as I was in a similar dilemma last year when my prayers were answered and suddenly a public toilet appeared as if by magic. I was expecting it to be like a scene from Trainspotting, but it was actually OK, and yesterday when we turned up it was being cleaned.)

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

hellymedic

• Just do it!

We were talking about this on the BCM yesterday, but decided it'd be ibuprofen one would be diving for from the toilet.

(This came up in conversation as one of our group needed the toilet, and being the sad fu**er I am, I knew that despite being in the middle of nowhere there was a decent public toilet a few miles up the road. I knew this as I was in a similar dilemma last year when my prayers were answered and suddenly a public toilet appeared as if by magic. I was expecting it to be like a scene from Trainspotting, but it was actually OK, and yesterday when we turned up it was being cleaned.)

The public convenience that appeared in Nantwich at around 2am when I did WCW in 1994 has not been forgotten.

I doubt it's still available...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes

I reckon dialup-esque image loading times seemed in keeping with the theme of the thread.

It's taken me 8 days to get this joke.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.
« Reply #194 on: 24 September, 2019, 10:50:08 pm »
I thought I'd already posted this - Easter Arrow 2018. Actually the easy bit of the ride.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #195 on: 24 September, 2019, 11:02:00 pm »
I packed at the weekend,
I was not taking a picture of either the party train to Edinburgh from Gala, or the pisshead train from Edinburgh to Darkest Fife.

Some more collected over the months

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #196 on: 25 September, 2019, 11:46:14 pm »
Only for Softies 2010.

IMG_4120 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #197 on: 07 September, 2022, 09:34:37 pm »
As the chippy was shut, we had to improvise behind Shap Co Op during We Went on Audax by Mistake (the finest hills available to humanity) a couple of months back:

We also visited the phone box in Bampton, because of course you would.

« Reply #198 on: 07 September, 2022, 10:32:56 pm »
Lovely!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #199 on: 07 September, 2022, 10:48:36 pm »
Ness control on the Golden Road and Standing Stones 300:

Great thousand-yard stare on ramcityrocker, there. (sorry, Rob ;D)

and another

Dean at Ness Control by ian, on Flickr