Author Topic: Alternative Q/R mounting for Carradice saddlebags.  (Read 6114 times)

Alternative Q/R mounting for Carradice saddlebags.
« on: 05 April, 2014, 10:32:35 pm »
This thread https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=80698.0, and particularly the photos of Phil W's Bridge Street bags reminded me of a project which I had delayed until the availability of a "roundtuit".

For reasons which are not relevant here my store of "bits" contained a number of these:

which are designed to attach a basket to one of these rather excellent quick release handlebar bar bag mounts from Rixen & Kaul.

Rixen & Kaul also make the same style of mounting to fit on a seat post.
If you have a redundant handlebar bag mount you can use one of these

but I found a complete one at Amazon:

Other ingredients:
In this case a rather tatty old Nelson

And now - the "bodge" component, which IMHO entitles inclusion in this board.
You are looking for a piece of plastic with a right angle in it, and as close to the internal width of the bag as you can get.
Something like a broken tupperware container, a plastic biscuit box, - the one I used on my Barley is from a

For the Nelson I used a piece cut out from two sides of knackered old swing-bin which is a pretty heavy duty and quite possibly overkill.
Here it is, cut to size and drilled using the backplate of the KlickFix adapter as a template.

Now remove the dowel from the bag, and drill holese in the bag too.

Although the bolts supplied with the adapter plate are M5, I'd suggest drilling 8mm hole - much easier to get everything lined up that way.

and finally re-assemble with your plastic re-inforcement between dowel & bag.  It may be necessary to drill some pilot holes in the re-inforcement to take the dowel screws.

As I showed on another thread, with a well-packed bag there is absolutely no "sag" at all:

although, as you can see, it does require more than a couple of inches of seatpost out against which to cantilever the bracket, which although unobtrusive when a bag is in place is fugli with no bag.

I've now tested the Barley version on a 300km - and can report nothing untoward, apart from the mysterious loss of dowel screw with doesn't matter hugely. 

Executive Summary:
Carradice quick on / quick off, no fiddly straps, no ugly struts, and just a little lighter than a Bagman.   

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Alternative Q/R mounting for Carradice saddlebags.
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2014, 10:40:25 pm »
That looks really smart IMO. If it didn't involve taking a drill to my (not-a-tatty-old) Carradice I'd be tempted to do the same.

« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2014, 10:54:21 pm »
That looks really smart IMO. If it didn't involve taking a drill to my (not-a-tatty-old) Carradice I'd be tempted to do the same.

I must admit to having second thoughts about doing that on a new(ish) Barley.
However... I reasoned that the mounting plate would
a) cover up all evidence of my vandalism
b) not affect waterproofness
c) not affect the traditional attachment methods if I left it in place after deciding the experiment was a failure.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2014, 01:27:22 pm »
Thanks for putting up this thread (and the link to it from the other one). I now think I'm pretty happy with my Barley as it is, having replaced the leather straps with less saggy, tighter toe straps - but when it's old and tatty, or if I do decide I want it easily removable, I hope I'll remember this.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.