Author Topic: Fort William 1000  (Read 20743 times)

Re: Fort William 1000
« Reply #50 on: 25 June, 2019, 12:01:20 pm »

Because the 'Oban' control is Dunbeg, the high road across to Oban from Taynuilt is an indulgent detour.
Don't think the idea of going SW from Inverary and south of Loch Awe to Ford (en route to the Connel Bridge, remember, is a choice many riders on a 1000k audax will/would choose, whatever their rough stuff threshold/wheels/tyres.

Has Dunbeg been confirmed as acceptable for Oban?
The A85 is generally pretty quiet at that end outwith commuting times as is the road from Connel Ferry to Ballaculish.
The majority of tourists don't seem to go between Oban and Fort Bill because the 2 places have completely different touristic purposes (Port for the Islands Vs Famous Hills and a steam train)

Even if we do have to go into Oban the A85 is probably the better route to follow, as I remember it the Glencruitten road in is a bit twisty, single track, and rough by scottish standards

The Loch Awe road would be just a bit of a detour! Also it's generally devoid of tourists, so the vast majority of users know how to drive it...

Oban seems a better place for a control with plenty of shops and pubs. In Dunbeg, there is only a small shop? At least as far as I can see on Google maps.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #51 on: 25 June, 2019, 12:04:22 pm »
Dunbeag is a 24hr petrol station, better food options are in town.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #52 on: 25 June, 2019, 12:15:53 pm »
Thanks! I hadn't spotted that one yet.

And: roads that are bad by Scottish standards. How does that compare to English roads? Sorry for all the questions, but my last visit to the Highlands was back in 1998.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #53 on: 25 June, 2019, 01:19:43 pm »
Thanks! I hadn't spotted that one yet.

And: roads that are bad by Scottish standards. How does that compare to English roads? Sorry for all the questions, but my last visit to the Highlands was back in 1998.

Well since anything that looks and smells like a road in Scotland is legally a road for the purposes of the RTA.... the council roads aren't too bad to say the Fungle road near Birse Castle.

In reality Google Street View is your friend here:

Back roads to Oban  - Allow 9 years of deterioration.
https://goo.gl/maps/NkydSQVenHnVmss49
https://goo.gl/maps/dec3Y7P7fUzPCT6R9

Main road from Dalmally to Oban:
https://goo.gl/maps/U4E4uosy3PvVmSUh9

One thing to watch when creating your own route is RWGPS may send you over monument hill rather than stay on the A819 to Dalmally...
This was the scene of the first ever Rally Special Stage run in the UK; definitley not a worthwhile short cut!
But you can ride up from Dalmally if you want to see the monument
https://goo.gl/maps/4qXnjL4mXDh76Ln29

Oban to Fort Bill Road:
https://goo.gl/maps/vVxWW4jpbaJJQuX38
I believe the NCN route is now completed, and mostly sealed surface.
The bits that were built on the Railway are flatter than the road, the bits that wern't are often lumpier, choose your mix of route carefully and you can save a few undulations and Kms.

« Reply #54 on: 25 June, 2019, 01:28:35 pm »
Brilliant stuff

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #55 on: 25 June, 2019, 01:38:06 pm »
I wasn't going to prepare a track between Helensburgh and Balloch but just knocked out what I'm thinking, will be tweaking it,
Once I know where the Paisley control is I'll make that adjustment; probably going to lift Ajax Bay's route for getting to Paisley.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30368002

Although I did consider being a bit cheeky and send it up Pulpit Hill in Oban and then onto McCaigs jsut to see who blindly follows GPS tracks, but decided against it!

« Reply #56 on: 25 June, 2019, 01:41:34 pm »
So to confirm if I want to carry on and go straight from Paisley after a short stop the next stop is some 140km at Dunbeg 24 hr station ? I ask because checking the only station I can find is the halfway station which seems to be the wide mouthed frog ? If so google maps shows no station there ?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #57 on: 25 June, 2019, 01:54:55 pm »
Just added the lap of Inverary.

You'll find no railway on that route between Arrochar and Dalmally.

« Reply #58 on: 25 June, 2019, 04:21:55 pm »
I'm a DNS for this ride for various reasons, but 2 weeks later I'll be doing 2 600's (2 days apart) in France as final prep for PBP.

Hope the weather is kind and midgies few for all on the 1000 and the 1200.

Cheers

Ian

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #59 on: 25 June, 2019, 04:25:22 pm »
So to confirm if I want to carry on and go straight from Paisley after a short stop the next stop is some 140km at Dunbeg 24 hr station ? I ask because checking the only station I can find is the halfway station which seems to be the wide mouthed frog ? If so google maps shows no station there ?

Just realized you're meaning petrol station not railway...

The 24hr ESSO is at 56.442166, -5.444510
https://goo.gl/maps/HiGkrZ9sAbrwLWCM9

Also note that you can do your washing there.

My RWGPS track should bounce at the Esso... It does for me.

The frog is at Dunstaffanage marina, even less Oban than Dunbeag however everywhere up towards Barcaldine is postally Oban... :-p

« Reply #60 on: 25 June, 2019, 04:27:15 pm »
will be tweaking it once I know where the Paisley control is I'll make that adjustment; probably going to lift Ajax Bay's route for getting to Paisley.
Bield Activity Centre, Wilson Street, Paisley
I've amended this plot to visit that control (and the others!):
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30369286?beta=false
Note Carnforth is the first/last control (ie both ways) now.
"Has Dunbeg been confirmed as acceptable for Oban?" Dunbeg IS the control, and then 69km to Fort William. If you want to drop into Oban for its many feeding (and drinking) opportunities, fill your boots. Cafe (1000-1730) in Benderloch (N of Connel Bridge) I think (as well as a shop opposite).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #61 on: 25 June, 2019, 04:31:11 pm »
Thanks, last communication I had from Andy was last wednesday and didn't see any mention of them in it.
Have I missed an e-mail?

Edit: Also that's the Scout hut I reckoned it would be!

« Reply #62 on: 25 June, 2019, 04:32:03 pm »
Cheers fife for that so all I need is enough supplies to get me from Paisley to there !

As for other things long range weather looks mixed

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #63 on: 25 June, 2019, 04:33:44 pm »
I'm pondering over a series of useful phrases as I did for BGB last year...

« Reply #64 on: 25 June, 2019, 06:10:30 pm »
all I need is enough supplies to get me from Paisley to there !
Braeside Stores, Arrochar (392km - about half way between Paisley and Dunbeg) opens at 6:30am and the Coop in Inveraray (418km) opens at 7.

« Reply #65 on: 25 June, 2019, 06:40:14 pm »
all I need is enough supplies to get me from Paisley to there !
Braeside Stores, Arrochar (392km - about half way between Paisley and Dunbeg) opens at 6:30am and the Coop in Inveraray (418km) opens at 7.

Hmmm no good at 1am haha !

Btw been checking long range weather forecast, fwiw and unsettled and not that warm !

« Reply #66 on: 25 June, 2019, 06:44:42 pm »
Great stuff, FifeingEejit and Ajax Bay!

On the Audax UK site, Andy is saying that he will send out the route sheets tomorrow. 

(And the weather forecast is looking great: cool and rainy, ideal for cycling long distances. Just went out for two hours in 33 degrees heat and that's definitely not fun.)

« Reply #67 on: 25 June, 2019, 07:13:55 pm »
Spot on it is almost perfect for me tbh for a long ride

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #68 on: 26 June, 2019, 07:01:45 pm »
E-mail in:

Crianlarich control; closes 0642 sunday,
The info sheet says "if you pass through in unsociable hours an atm slip may be required" however the ATM is inside Londis which shuts at 7pm on Saturday and won't reopen until 0730 on Sunday morning. It also charges you for the pleasure so better off just buying stuff from the shop.
There is no ticket machine at the station so you can't even get a ticket reciept
There is a police cabin however there is no guarantee you'll find it manned in order to get a signature.

Using the alcohol licence register where necessary for the purveyors of alcoholic beverages (the only other sort of sales in town)
http://onlinelicensing.stirling.gov.uk/GlamisRegister/premResults.aspx?txtLicenseNo=&txtApplicantName=&txtPremisesName=&txtPremisesAddress=crianlarich&txtPremisesManager=&txtDateFrom=&txtDateTo=&

The Rod and Reel pub shuts at 11pm according to their website
Youth Hostel reception shuts at 10pm according to their info sheet

Ben More lodge (Glen Dochart end of village) is licenced to 1am
Public Bar in the Best Western "Crianlarich Hotel" is licenced to midnight

There is no guarantee that they will be open that late, even though they should be and none of them have 24 hour reception for a hotel stamp.

« Reply #69 on: 26 June, 2019, 08:02:05 pm »
I've contacted Andy but have I missed the gpx for this?

« Reply #70 on: 26 June, 2019, 08:06:50 pm »
I've contacted Andy but have I missed the gpx for this?

None there with my mail so posted my routes for the 1200 on that thread

« Reply #71 on: 26 June, 2019, 08:10:22 pm »
On the continent we just provide photographic evidence in these sort of situations (a photo of the rider in front of a local landmark, preferably with a clock). This is not an option in the UK?

Also: why is there a control at Crianlarich? I don't see any shortcuts between Fort William and Paisley.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #72 on: 26 June, 2019, 10:34:58 pm »
I've e-mailed Andy about Crianlarich, it's entirely possible an outdoor machine has been fitted since I last visited, but I'd be surprised.

If Crianlarich has a public clock I've never noticed it... The station definitely doesn't, it doesn't even have info screens or a PA system.
And the village hall is a corrugated iron clad hut

I've used time stamped photos on Perms with prior agreement and when the only ATM in town didn't print the location.

« Reply #73 on: 26 June, 2019, 11:11:08 pm »
I'm a DNS. Premier Inn room available at Bispham on the Thursday night if any one wants it for a few squid. A little north of the start. PM me if interested

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #74 on: 26 June, 2019, 11:54:52 pm »
Done a bit of clicking,

Stage 1: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30382946
The route from Plumpton to Penrith is the reverse of what "Lakes Velo" did on Good Friday for the Easter Arrow as a first leg down to Lytham Booths.
Penrith to EK is the obvious route; Looking at the satelite view there's a path alongside the route from EK through to Busby, there's no blue signs but "Whit is it no a core path, but?" should be enough to limit you to an admonishment if needed.

Stage 2: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30368002
Erksine Bridge, the trace goes over on the left in both directions, not sure if there's only one track open or what, unlike the east coast bridges there doesn't appear to be a website for it.
I've made an assumption that Glen Coe will be hit in the late evening, hence just going straight up the A82; if it's a tad busy looking the old road through the village gets you off it for a bit, but it's a bit lumpier, the main road is actually ok gradient wise and you can hold a reasonable speed over most of it when heading East.

At Crianlarich I've put the trace out to the pub that claims to be open until 1, it therefore also passes the other 2 and then I've brought the route up past the shop, through the underpass at the station and onto the old Glasgow Road, because why not...

I've put the route down the cycle track from Arrochar along Loch Lomond; unless you're there before 9am it's just going to be carnage, bits like Pulpit Rock have been made easier to drive, but when half the drivers are in hire cars wondering how they're going to get through a gap between a rock wall and an artic. and the other half are screaming at the hire car in front that "You could get a bus through there" and then round the corner comes an 65 seater Trafalgar coach...

There is an argument for setting off early from Paisley, riding up Loch Lomond and turning off onto the A83 before the tourists have had breakfast and returning by the Faslane route if you're later in the day. Also remember that if you take pictures of Faslane you will automatically be assumed to be a Spy by the MOD particularly if you work for them.

I've altered the route through Alexandria and Renton, sod finding the cycle tracks, just ride faster if the Neds have run out of Dope and Bucky.

I'll do the return route later.