Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 334569 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #900 on: 16 June, 2013, 07:53:12 am »
Recently got one of these - taking my daughter and a friend camping on the Baltic coast next week so got it for that, with a view to plenty of other outdoor trips with her in the future.  It's a bit over-specced for my needs (I went for a cheaper, smaller one via Amazon initially but cancelled as not in stock) but it is an awesome bit of kit, 20kg feels like nothing in it with the usual elfish attention to detail you get in modern products, my first Karrimor 70l rucksack was usually perfectly adequate for my needs but I would occasionally need a bit more space for extra kit.

« Reply #901 on: 16 June, 2013, 02:19:37 pm »
A Hilleberg Akto  :)

After searching for a second hand one, A lovely letter and cheque popped through the door from old credit card provide for a large sum as a PPI refund. Then I realised I get 20% off at cotswold outdoor for being a Scout leader.

I went and picked up a brand new Akto this morning and it's lovely. I may put it up and nap in it shortly.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #902 on: 17 June, 2013, 01:27:26 pm »
I've just been seam-sealing all my tents as found water can get in otherwise in foul weather, which we have more of now - clear bathroom silicon mixed with white spirit brushed on from the outside.  Never ever noticed this with my main backpacking tent until this March in Cornwall.

« Reply #903 on: 18 June, 2013, 11:04:43 am »
An Exped Synmat UL 7 arrived today courtesy of Bikepacker  :thumbsup: and is enjoying a test inflation.   Many thanks Bikepacker, especially for such prompt delivery. 

Mlle PB will be pleased at the reduction in weight of her touring load.  I on the other hand will puff and grunt under the extra grams of a Downmat 7.    :D

Andrew

« Reply #904 on: 18 June, 2013, 11:24:48 am »
Alpkit Hunka bivvy bag. After waiting and waiting for them to become available again (not to mention missing out previously) I've managed to order one - though albeit not in my first choice of colour. I'll not be a frequent user so didn't want to pay more. I've read good things of them so I'm hopeful.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #905 on: 21 June, 2013, 10:57:28 pm »
After chatting with MercuryKev this week about all things camping, I was inspired to try to sort out the rest of my gear list.  Today I picked up a Primus Express Spider, a couple of little Trangia-ish pots, and one of those plastic plates with the rubber sides.  I'll see how I get on with the aluminium pots, as I have distinctly unfond memories of the taste of an aluminium spoon when I was younger.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

snail

• Inch by inch.
« Reply #906 on: 22 June, 2013, 04:18:01 pm »
3 dry bags for a fiver from Asda. They claim to be weather resistant not waterproof, and are 3 sizes - 2 litre, 4 litre and 8 litre. Hopefully good enough to keep things separate in my new Ortliebs  :D

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #907 on: 23 June, 2013, 12:08:04 pm »
A random assortment of stuff to make our car-based trip to the Uists and Harris a bit more comfortable (things to sit and lie on, a tarp/porch - stuff like that, mainly). 

The discovery that I get a very good discount at Cotswold means that we seem to have bought a lot of stuff there so far this year :-\ ;)

DaleFTW

« Reply #908 on: 23 June, 2013, 01:52:42 pm »
Mozzie coils!

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #909 on: 23 June, 2013, 09:45:00 pm »
After chatting with MercuryKev this week about all things camping, I was inspired to try to sort out the rest of my gear list.  Today I picked up a Primus Express Spider, a couple of little Trangia-ish pots, and one of those plastic plates with the rubber sides.  I'll see how I get on with the aluminium pots, as I have distinctly unfond memories of the taste of an aluminium spoon when I was younger.

Good choice.  I told you I had many stoves and the Express Spider is my remote canister stove of choices, paired with an MSR Titan Kettle. 

« Reply #910 on: 27 June, 2013, 10:26:19 am »
I told you I had many stoves and the Express Spider is my remote canister stove of choices
I used one on a recent trip to France and was very impressed with the way it continued to roar when there was only a tiny amount of gas left.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #911 on: 28 June, 2013, 01:06:03 pm »
A random assortment of stuff to make our car-based trip to the Uists and Harris a bit more comfortable (things to sit and lie on, a tarp/porch - stuff like that, mainly). 

The discovery that I get a very good discount at Cotswold means that we seem to have bought a lot of stuff there so far this year :-\ ;)

And another random assortment of things, this time from Maplins, for charging devices away from the mains.

Slightly galling to have to step up from 12v to 230v in order to recharge camera batteries ::-), but no time to wrangle a neater solution

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #912 on: 29 June, 2013, 10:22:24 pm »
"Today I went to my LCS and I bought…"

- A pillow.  I liked the Exped one Tiso had, but I actually wanted a Klymit Cush Seat Pillow which of course they didn't have (though mail order is always an option), and in the end I went for a Trekmates one that was a fraction of the price.  I can always get fancy later if I want to.
- Some cutlery.  Titanium sporks and BPA-free spatulas are all very covetable but actually what I wanted was a simple knife and fork and spoon.  It took ages to find them, because they're in stealth dark grey* polycarbonate and were on the floor level shelf, leaving the money shelves to the brightly coloured sporks and food boxes.
- A folding cup, to match my folding-plate-chopping-board-thing.
- Moar gas.

Now to find a big aluminium tray to modify into a windshield for the stove.  My lap jointed one turned out to be not tall enough, which was a shame because it fits nicely into the cooking kit.

*to match my stealth grey tent, and therefore to be really hard to find if I drop them in the dark.  I have some luminous grip tape, but it's a bit hard on the fingers.  Obviously I need to find some clear heatshrink tubing now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #913 on: 30 June, 2013, 12:35:23 am »
I use the adhesive Scotchlite tape for making-dropped-objects-easier-to-spot purposes.  Works incredibly well in situations where you can reasonably assume a torch/bike light is available (tyre levers and the like, as well as items used for loitering within tent).  I suppose clear heatshrink would have a higher washing up durability factor, but also a higher accumulating dishwater and going manky factor.

Has glow in the dark Sugru been invented yet?  That would be awesome...

« Reply #914 on: 05 July, 2013, 02:13:50 pm »
Dutch army issue hooped Gore Tex bivi

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=73284.0

:)
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #915 on: 10 July, 2013, 09:25:58 am »
cheap and cheerful self inflating mat: £13 from Tesco.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-self-inflating-mattress/207-5004.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=207-5004

2.5 cm thick when inflated 55cm wide and 183 cm long with straps to roll it. Tried it out for a few minutes in the garden and feels surprisingly comfy. Should be ideal for overnight or short trips.

Handily it's exactly the same with as my Moustache bars so I can strap it across my SQR bag  and not worry about it :)

I phoned Tesco at 5pm to check stock levels in the Aylesbury store and they had 8 in stock. When i got there at 9 pm there were only 5 left.

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #916 on: 10 July, 2013, 10:19:33 pm »
I use the adhesive Scotchlite tape for making-dropped-objects-easier-to-spot purposes.

In the end, I wrapped some spare yellow reflective tape around the ends of the cutlery.  Works great!

Today I picked up a sort of microfibre towel which, having washed my hair this evening, I've just realised I forgot to roadtest.  :facepalm:  I also bought a sleeping bag liner to use as a ultra light bag, because I'm off this weekend and I'm worried my down bag and stealth grey tent will give me heatstroke if the weather carries on like this.

I can also confirm that while the Trekmates cutlery is excellent, the Trekmates inflatable pillow is crap.  I had to shop around and Tiso et al. didn't have it, but I managed to find someone selling the Exped pillow in large.  What a difference in comfort!

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #917 on: 10 July, 2013, 10:52:04 pm »
I managed to find someone selling the Exped pillow in large.  What a difference in comfort!

I use a medium Exped air pillow with a Thermarest downpillow on top - comfy stuff

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #918 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:05:37 pm »
Well, we've had it a week but I hadn't got round to posting. We're doing Mildenhall in it on our way to Holt be sure to come by to say hello.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #919 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:08:17 pm »
You are Shaggy AICMFP!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

bloomers100

« Reply #920 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:09:41 pm »
and you are Thelma AICMFP but you are a rock hard fixie b'stard also!

bloomers100

« Reply #921 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:12:06 pm »

not quite the same   :P

bloomers100

« Reply #922 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:13:48 pm »

That's Oaky in the front seat, I'm sure OD is in there somewhere, probably Scooby Doo himself!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #923 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:28:39 pm »
I'm sure OD is in there somewhere, probably Scooby Doo himself!

I think you're onto something there!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

bloomers100

« Reply #924 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:35:03 pm »
Although Shaggy's grimace is the same as OD's default photo face.