Author Topic: Fenland Friends 600km 22nd/23rd June  (Read 18719 times)

Re: Fenland Friends 600km 22nd/23rd June
« Reply #50 on: 15 June, 2019, 04:47:27 pm »
Any other full value riders doing this? Would be good to know I  will not be struggling alone for 600km at the rear

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #51 on: 15 June, 2019, 11:32:59 pm »
I've been looking at the Water Railway. What would it be like as an alternative route (assuming it isn't flooded) all the way between Lincoln and Boston?

It's a good alternative if you fancy some traffic free cycling on a generally good surface - though I'd be happy to follow the official route as well.

If you decide on the Water Railway, take the 'winter' road alternative to Southery as Phil suggests and rejoin the traffic free section there - it's a while since I've been along the 'summer' route but in wet weather it used to get muddy as it's a bridleway/farm track for the first half.

Depending on the time you're passing through Bardney there are food options at the Old Station Cafe/Heritage Centre - (opposite where the first traffic free section ends at Bardney Bridge) and also a Co-Op store (in the village center).

Thanks wajcgac that's really helpful. Did the official route last year, it's interesting to look at possible variations. Thanks also to Phil W.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

« Reply #52 on: 16 June, 2019, 01:01:40 pm »
Hi Tom & team?

Are the GPX files finalised or just waiting on checking them on the test ride?

Thanks

Richard

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #53 on: 16 June, 2019, 01:39:15 pm »
Are the GPX files finalised or just waiting on checking them on the test ride?

Tom and some of the helpers are checking the route at the moment — they should be finishing in the next few hours.  When Tom has recovered enough, he will update the routesheet and then I'll update the GPS files on tomsk.co.uk.  We are expecting necessary changes around Lincoln, but aren't sure yet what those are going to be.

For now the ones that are loaded up there are DRAFT until further notice.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #54 on: 17 June, 2019, 08:51:25 am »
Any other full value riders doing this? Would be good to know I  will not be struggling alone for 600km at the rear

You'll almost certainly bump into j4 and me on the pino at the back, though we're hoping to finish with a bit more time in hand than usual this time to demonstrate to ourselves that we stand some chance of sleeping on PBP...

Phil W

« Reply #55 on: 18 June, 2019, 02:30:24 pm »
Now wired for sound to keep the dozies at bay overnight.  The velcro attaching the speaker to the seat has done the 40mph down a rough steep hill test, so looks like it's good to go. 

« Reply #56 on: 18 June, 2019, 02:33:48 pm »
Now wired for sound to keep the dozies at bay overnight.

What exactly is the setup you're using? We've been considering adding speakers to the pino to keep us going on long nights.

« Reply #57 on: 18 June, 2019, 02:44:36 pm »
The sound is precisely what can be heard stood by the bike, it's not a soundtrack added later.

Given the aero advantage of your steed, I'm sure you could add the weight of a sub-woofer without too much impact to your overall speed. That would be more aurally pleasing. Oh, and a better choice of music  ;D

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Phil W

« Reply #58 on: 18 June, 2019, 02:53:34 pm »
Now wired for sound to keep the dozies at bay overnight.

What exactly is the setup you're using? We've been considering adding speakers to the pino to keep us going on long nights.

One speaker https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MXUQT9I/

One length of connecting cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BH9B8F8

Some sticky backed Velcro https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071YC5WLV/

The fluffy velcro is stuck to back of seat  about where my shoulders rest.  There is vertical strip plus two horizontal side strips on either side.  The speaker has three strips of fluffy velcro stuck to it.  Then I have two strips of the rougher bit of the velcro stuck back to back with itself to produce a double sided strip of velcro. The speaker is velcro'd to the seat using the two strips, then the wire goes into my rack pack where my iPod sits. the Ipod has 5 or 6 playlists of two hours each.  It's fairly out of the weather where it sits with only the possibility of wheel spray beyond the mudguards catching it.  I'd be happy leaving it in place in all but the heaviest rain and wettest roads.

Speaker only weighs 42g (think a small old edge gps unit weight) but is more than loud enough given where it sits.  More importantly the velcro keeps it in place at high speed down rough roads. 

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: 19 June, 2019, 05:54:26 pm »
Distance error on my info sheet: Glews to Boston via Kirton [info control] is 131km. The route through Lincoln to McDonalds and diversion afterwards via Washingborough will add a few kms more ...

Phil W

« Reply #60 on: 19 June, 2019, 06:14:52 pm »
I take it, no further route diversions than already noted in published route sheet?

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #61 on: 19 June, 2019, 06:56:50 pm »
The GPS files are now finalised at  https://www.tomsk.co.uk/fenland-friends-600/2019/  :thumbsup:

The main GPS routes head thru the roadworks and down/up Canwick Hill, and assume that at least pedestrian access will be available through the road closure.

There are also NEW DIVERSION GPS FILES — these are the complete stage 3 Sleaford to Gainsborough, and stage 6 Kirton to Boston, but following the Washingborough diversion, in case the full road closure also affects pedestrians.

This is all as per Tom's notes in the ride-information document and routesheet, which have been updated on AUKWEB.

You should take your preferred standard GPS files, PLUS the diversion files.   Or the routesheet.  Or all three.

« Reply #62 on: 20 June, 2019, 02:18:20 pm »
Speaker only weighs 42g (think a small old edge gps unit weight) but is more than loud enough given where it sits.  More importantly the velcro keeps it in place at high speed down rough roads.

That all looks pretty good - we might give it a go for PBP (assuming we do finally qualify). Not really enough time to do anything about it for Saturday morning though!

« Reply #63 on: 20 June, 2019, 03:07:25 pm »
How's the Water Rail Way looking?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #64 on: 20 June, 2019, 03:40:27 pm »
The route check has flagged up another road works/closure near Boston - passable on foot on a [muddy] pavement.

It looks like a temporary gravel path is being prepared to pass the A1188 closure between Branston and Canwick Hill, which should be ok to walk, but possibly not velomobile friendly! We shall see ...

GPS track used still had last years B1040 diversion to get round a total road closure - hope to get this fixed, but hey, it's a nicer route and only a few bonus kms!

Thanks to Deano_44, Beer Fuelled Commuter and Jem for toughing it out in the wind and rain. Sacrificing them to the weather gods should ensure some actual summer sun this weekend.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #65 on: 20 June, 2019, 03:42:10 pm »
GPS track used still had last years B1040 diversion to get round a total road closure - hope to get this fixed, but hey, it's a nicer route and only a few bonus kms!

This was fixed several days ago — the latest GPS files are correct.

Phil W

« Reply #66 on: 20 June, 2019, 03:51:56 pm »

Good question as that is still my target.

The diversion via the water railway is an extra 2km. Being downhill to Washingborough that extra 2km should be less than 4 mins extra.  From what I can tell Canwick Hill possibly has three sets of temporary traffic lights on it.   So it depends on the phasing on Canwick Hill (which may even be closed on Sat) as to which way will be quicker, the road down to Washingborough then water railway has no traffic lights on it.

Just seen's Tomsk's comment about gravel on Canwick Hill.  Think I will stick with my aim of taking the alternate Washingborough route then pick up the water railway.  Unless I hear it remains flooded but forecast looks to be dry between now and when we will get there.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #67 on: 20 June, 2019, 04:04:48 pm »
The route check has flagged up another road works/closure near Boston - passable on foot on a [muddy] pavement.

It looks like a temporary gravel path is being prepared to pass the A1188 closure between Branston and Canwick Hill, which should be ok to walk, but possibly not velomobile friendly! We shall see ...

Thanks to Deano_44, Beer Fuelled Commuter and Jem for toughing it out in the wind and rain. Sacrificing them to the weather gods should ensure some actual summer sun this weekend.

I think I have done my time in the fens this year!

Good luck to everyone riding, especially those who need it for PBP. I won’t mention the weather this time!
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Phil W

« Reply #68 on: 20 June, 2019, 04:21:51 pm »
I think I have done my time in the fens this year!

Good luck to everyone riding, especially those who need it for PBP. I won’t mention the weather this time!

Is your real name Rob McKenna?

https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Rob_McKenna

« Reply #69 on: 20 June, 2019, 06:21:04 pm »

Not very promising for the section between Lincoln and Washingborough

This was last Sunday (16/6/19) morning looking east to west

and this was about 4:25pm today ago looking west to east this time.

The level has dropped a good 2-3 foot since the weekend but it's still flooded. I took the pic on the way home from work at about 4:45pm - there were a few people (cyclists and runners) at the flood contemplating whether they should make an attempt at it.

Someone said that as I looked the most professional cyclist then i should give it a try - I'm usually up for the challenge but I'm older now (maybe even a little bit wiser?) and all I could think of was that I might quickly end up looking the most stupid as well.

You could see the tarmac for a couple of meters under the water and it's fairly level all the way along there so thought it might not get much deeper. There was also some weedy stuff on the LHS of the path that I could get a foot down if needed. I only rolled the bike forward a couple of metres before the water was half way to the front hub so aborted whilst I could still get a foot down and still maintain my 'professional' look.  ;D

For anyone contemplating using the Water Railway at the weekend I'd advise following the official diversion (to avoid the Branston B1188 weekend road closure) out to Washingborough and join the Water Railway there at Ferry Lane. (The water level may drop enough that the path is clear of water by Sunday but it'll be left muddy and potentially debris ridden for a while after).

Ferry Lane is easy to spot as it's signed NCR1 and is the first left turn in Washingborough down to the old Station House that stands all on it's own. Go over the little bridge and turn right to head towards Bardney.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #70 on: 20 June, 2019, 06:24:09 pm »

The level has dropped a good 2-3 foot since the weekend but it's still flooded. I took the pic on the way home from work at about 4:45pm - there were a few people (cyclists and runners) at the flood contemplating whether they should make an attempt at it.

Someone said that as I looked the most professional cyclist then i should give it a try - I'm usually up for the challenge but I'm older now (maybe even a little bit wiser?) and all I could think of was that I might quickly end up looking the most stupid as well.

You could see the tarmac for a couple of meters under the water and it's fairly level all the way along there so thought it might not get much deeper. There was also some weedy stuff on the LHS of the path that I could get a foot down if needed. I only rolled the bike forward a couple of metres before the water was half way to the front hub so aborted whilst I could still get a foot down and still maintain my 'professional' look.  ;D

For anyone contemplating using the Water Railway at the weekend I'd advise following the official diversion (to avoid the Branston B1188 weekend road closure) out to Washingborough and join the Water Railway there at Ferry Lane. (The water level may drop enough that the path is clear of water by Sunday but it'll be left muddy and potentially debris ridden for a while after).

Ferry Lane is easy to spot as it's signed NCR1 and is the first left turn in Washingborough down to the old Station House that stands all on it's own. Go over the little bridge and turn right to head towards Bardney.

Thanks. I think I'll leave the Water Railway route to next year then!

« Reply #71 on: 20 June, 2019, 06:38:03 pm »

I wouldn't let the flooded section between Lincoln and Washy put you off, it's the bit with the poorest surface even when it's not flooded so you won't miss anything and as I described you can easily pick the route up at Washy anyway.

It also has the advantage of being very flat all the way to Boston (no climbing Canwick Hill or the choppy bits towards Metheringham).

Phil W

« Reply #72 on: 20 June, 2019, 06:41:57 pm »

Based on your text as the photos aren't showing in different browsers here anyway.

Ok, I will avoid that then as I wanted to use it going east to west through Lincoln going northbound.   Gone back to my plan B for going northbound through Lincoln which does not use the water railway and is the same distance.  Southbound I bypass Lincoln to join the water railway further east, and I'll stick with that part of the plan.

« Reply #73 on: 20 June, 2019, 06:56:44 pm »
Based on your text as the photos aren't showing in different browsers here anyway.

Thanks for the heads-up Phil, seems OK in chrome but not IE for me - will try and resolve later.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #74 on: 20 June, 2019, 07:11:14 pm »

I wouldn't let the flooded section between Lincoln and Washy put you off, it's the bit with the poorest surface even when it's not flooded so you won't miss anything and as I described you can easily pick the route up at Washy anyway.

It also has the advantage of being very flat all the way to Boston (no climbing Canwick Hill or the choppy bits towards Metheringham).

OK thanks - helpful to know. I was a bit concerned that the section going south between Southrey and Dogdyke might also be affected...