Author Topic: Lillo Brug  (Read 1200 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Lillo Brug
« on: 19 August, 2018, 10:34:50 pm »
Calling our Dutch/Belgian friends... does anyone know how often and for how long the Lillo Brug across Antwerp docks opens/closes? It looks to be a splendid rather Meccano like structure and is marked as a cycle route but this article suggests it is usually not available to cross.. https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillobrug  However I also found something which suggested there was a ferry last year, but can't find anything for this year.
We are planning a DIY audax so time is reasonably important, but it would be shame to have to backtrack to the north end of the docks.
Any local expert information gratefully received!

Re: Lillo Brug
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2018, 12:41:43 pm »
I am not a local (Eindhoven NL) but from the website of the port of antwerp it looks like the ferry stopped in April 2018.
It seems they replaced it with a hop-on bike bus service, but it looks like this is directed more to people who work in the port area.
Generally speaking most of their literature warns that the port is a working area not especially suitable for bike tourism, that said
there is a PDF available (in dutch) which provides basic information and a map.

https://www.portofantwerp.com/sites/portofantwerp/files/imce/mobiliteit/POA-2070_Fietskaart2018%20def.pdf

With respect to the Lillobrug - i think its open from what i can see - however they warn that due to heavy boat traffic you
can expect long delays on occasions, not clear how long that delay could be - sorry.
Regards,

Alan

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: Lillo Brug
« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2018, 11:45:29 pm »
Got a mail back today from a helpful information chap in the Port and it turns out that there is now a 7 days per week "fietsbus" service which uses the tunnels underneath the Schelde and under the Kanaaldock (the latter replacing the Lillo Brug route-wise. He said the bridge is now only for trains, so maybe someone has done a risk assessment and decided it's not good to have bike down in when the trains are coming?