Author Topic: Liverpool Citybike scheme launched  (Read 5980 times)

Liverpool Citybike scheme launched
« on: 08 May, 2014, 08:54:11 pm »
We've got a fleet of shiny new GREEN bikes for hire in Liverpool  :D

I've not seen anyone riding them yet,  I suppose I should sign up and have a go.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/watch-liverpools-new-bike-hire-7083454

http://www.hourbike.com/mysitecaddy/site3/locukliverpoolhome.htm

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Liverpool Citybike scheme launched
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2014, 07:53:21 pm »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/joe-anderson-hails-tremendous-success-7567265

"Since the project launched in May almost 9,000 journeys have been made by shoppers, tourists and commuters on the bikes."   :thumbsup:

Still haven't tried one....

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2014, 08:49:20 pm »
Is this the same as the NextBike scheme in Glasgow? If so then you sign up for one and you have an account on them all. Including many European cities.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2014, 08:52:54 pm »
Is this the same as the NextBike scheme in Glasgow? If so then you sign up for one and you have an account on them all. Including many European cities.

Looking at their website they run schemes in several UK locations.  The nearest one to you is Dumfries. 

The council had tenders from several vendors, all of whom ran schemes elsewhere.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2014, 08:57:05 pm »
This is the Glasgow one.. http://www.nextbike.co.uk/en/glasgow/
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2014, 09:10:57 pm »
There are actually 2 schemes in Liverpool.  Bike & Go have bikes for hire at many local train stations in Liverpool & elsewhere http://www.bikeandgo.co.uk/locations.php

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #6 on: 02 September, 2014, 07:02:47 pm »
I'm not sure the cycle path in the picture above looks very safe  :o

« Reply #7 on: 26 September, 2014, 09:34:32 pm »
I signed up for this last night.  £60 for a year, and any journey under 30 minutes is free.   

This morning I walked 5 minutes from my flat & punched my code & pin no into the terminal & undocked one from the station.

They have a shaft drive with a 3 speed Nexus hub at the rear, hub brakes & a dynamo powered lighting system with what looks like a B&M light mounted on the front carrier.  Not light...

Adjusted the saddle & onto the road.  A very upright riding position & I don't like the gear change much, I've been spoiled by my Rohloff!

Down Mount Pleasant, the brakes work well enough, onto Ranelagh St and then through the Church St pedestrian area dodging delivery lorries.....

Stopped off to grab a bacon butty then onto the busy Dale St & across Tithebarn St.   The bottom end of Old Hall St is one way (I'd forgotten about that!) so some careful pavement cycling was done until it became 2 way again, by which time I was at the docking station outside the Passport office where I locked it in with a clunk, getting lube all over my hand from the seat tube.

It normally takes me 30-40 minutes to walk to the office.  This cut it down to about 15, including the bacon butty shop. 

I don't intend to make it a regular habit, but I'm crap at getting out of bed in the winter & this could save me time when I'm late.

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2014, 01:27:15 pm »
I signed up for this intending it to be an occasional thing, but I've used them 5 times in the last week!  4 rides to work & 1 ride back.

Only problem so far has been a couple of loose seatposts, leading to the saddle swiveling mid ride  :o

Trip details from my account on their website, last figure is duration.

3/10/2014 16:45   Old Hall Street - The Capital Building            03/10/2014 16:59   City of Liverpool College – Myrtle Street       0.00:14    
03/10/2014 08:10   City of Liverpool College – Myrtle Street     03/10/2014 08:21   HM Passport Office                                      0.00:10    
02/10/2014 08:18   Everyman Theatre                                    02/10/2014 08:29   HM Passport Office                                       0.00:11    
30/09/2014 08:11   University of Liverpool - Abercromby Square    30/09/2014 08:26   HM Passport Office                                           0.00:14    
26/09/2014 08:04   University of Liverpool - Abercromby Square    26/09/2014 08:20   HM Passport Office                                       0.00:15    

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2014, 02:01:30 pm »
How does the shaft drive feel?

I suppose it's to reduce maintenance.  The London bikes don't have it.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #10 on: 04 October, 2014, 04:06:04 pm »
The shaft drive seems to work well,  I've not noticed any noise from the drivetrain, though each bike I've used has had a bit of a rattle! 

The twistgrip gearchange isn't very precise ,  bottom gear was adequate to get me up Leece St & Hardman St without honking,  though I think an infrequent cyclist might struggle with that....

I signed up purely for the occasional trip to work, but I'm now rather taken with the idea  :D   Looking at the map I can see that there are docking stations close to several destinations I'd usually walk to.

http://frontend.citybikeliverpool.co.uk/LocationsMap.aspx

« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2014, 12:13:17 pm »
42 rentals since I signed up at the end of September.    I've reported 2 bikes for maintenance as the drivetrain kept slipping in top gear.    I've had 2 issues where the docking terminal hasn't registered me returning the bike and I've been charged!  Full refund in both cases.

I'm pleased that I've seen no vandalism of the bikes in the city centre area, though I heard of 1 stand being removed from Anfield for this reason.

There isn't a stand at or near Liverpool John Lennon airport,  it would be nice to be able to ride there for a weekend getaway with just hand luggage.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 29 November, 2014, 12:53:15 pm »
There isn't a stand at or near Liverpool John Lennon airport,  it would be nice to be able to ride there for a weekend getaway with just hand luggage.

That would make an airport accessible by bike, which is clearly against the rules...

« Reply #13 on: 29 November, 2014, 01:33:12 pm »

That would make an airport accessible by bike, which is clearly against the rules...

LJL is easily reached by bike.  I've usually had to argue about the CTC plastic bag though...

« Reply #14 on: 29 November, 2014, 09:27:40 pm »
Gah! Went to rent a bike tonight & it wouldn't come out of the docking station. I then noticed the seat clamp bolt was missing....
Walked to the next station & tried to rent another, it took my details but again wouldn't let me remove it!
I had to get a taxi & was nearly late for the Pacifica Quartet!
The support desk says my account doesn't have any active rentals and that the network may be playing up.

« Reply #15 on: 09 February, 2015, 06:04:02 pm »
http://www.liverpoolexpress.co.uk/citybike-triumphs-awards/

A claimed 35,000 hires since they started the scheme in May.   94 of which are me.

A few more instances of seat clamps bolts being pinched, but I think they've now fitted tamper proof ones.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #16 on: 09 February, 2015, 06:24:06 pm »
The scallies will nick them

« Reply #17 on: 27 December, 2015, 09:28:06 pm »
Record numbers of people used the bikes in October this year, with 10,851 rentals during the month.

I'm still using these every weekday,  the bikes are generally in good nick & still no major vandalism to the bikes I've seen in the city centre  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 28 December, 2015, 10:36:10 am »
I wonder what the factors are determining vulnerability of hire bikes to vandalism. The scheme introduced in Bristol a few years ago seemed to suffer a lot of vandalism and theft and failed partly because of that.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #20 on: 29 December, 2015, 02:19:12 pm »
When I saw that article I had a horrible feeling that the councillor was going to suggest banning bikes from the tunnel* but it looks like he just wants to publicise the existing rules. Being drunk and swapping lanes in there is not a good idea whatever you're driving.

* 45 odd years ago there used to be a regular stream of clubs going through on sunday mornings. The toll used to be 2d  ;D
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #21 on: 30 December, 2015, 03:04:51 pm »
I wonder what action was taken against the motorist using their phone ?

Just sayin'

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #22 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:51:16 pm »
When I saw that article I had a horrible feeling that the councillor was going to suggest banning bikes from the tunnel* but it looks like he just wants to publicise the existing rules. Being drunk and swapping lanes in there is not a good idea whatever you're driving.

* 45 odd years ago there used to be a regular stream of clubs going through on sunday mornings. The toll used to be 2d  ;D

When I was a student, my housemate rode through the Mersey tunnel. He started at the uncontrolled end and got a bollocking at the end with the toll booths (I can't remember which is which). I do remember he used an army respirator throughout the trip which probably scared people more than anything else.
I decided not to accompany him on that trip :)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #23 on: 22 January, 2016, 12:50:06 pm »

When I was a student, my housemate rode through the Mersey tunnel.
He started at the uncontrolled end and got a bollocking at the end with the toll booths (I can't remember which is which).
Probably outside the permitted times. Used to be allowed between 8pm and 8am. Not sure what it is now but it will be on their website somwhere.
Toll booths are at the Birkenhead end

I do remember he used an army respirator throughout the trip which probably scared people more than anything else.

Unnecessary - the air quality is ok in there unless the traffic stops for some reason. It's not a long tunnel and has a pretty hefty forced draught ventilation system. Good enough to give you a nice tail wind up the hills at either end.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams