Author Topic: Edge 800  (Read 8225 times)

Re: Edge 800
« Reply #25 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:22:51 pm »
I noticed that, but I've not had any issues with the 705 mounts, and I have them on 3 bikes.  The issue for me is accessibility on the bike for a mini-usb lead to the external power source I use for rides that are going to take longer than 14 hours.  On the 705 it isn't too bad, although it snags on a short stem.  I notice that on the 800 the port is ar the rear, facing backwards, rather than down.  Are the two rubber flaps independent?  (thinking about weather-proofness here)

« Reply #26 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:34:49 pm »
I noticed that, but I've not had any issues with the 705 mounts, and I have them on 3 bikes.  The issue for me is accessibility on the bike for a mini-usb lead to the external power source I use for rides that are going to take longer than 14 hours.  On the 705 it isn't too bad, although it snags on a short stem.  I notice that on the 800 the port is ar the rear, facing backwards, rather than down.  Are the two rubber flaps independent?  (thinking about weather-proofness here)

I found the old mount was too stiff - the new mount is adjustable but holds the unit well. The old system didn't really let you adjust it once it was fitted.

The ports are on the bottom face facing down but the flaps seat into the mini-usb port and a channel around the SD card slot so they locate firmly. I'm pretty sure you wont get water into them in normal use. They are independent and replaceable (two screws).

I think you'd want to use a connector with a modified flap fitted (nice little market opportunity there) to seal against the usb port. A standard mini-usb lead would give some protection (as the port is recessed) but the rubber flaps seal much better.

I can take a photo to illustrate if that is useful. I think you could get a good waterproof fit for an external charging device but out of the box - I'd worry about water seeping in.

« Reply #27 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:44:48 pm »
Thanks.  I would be interested in a photo, but no hurry at all. 

Thinking about it, the only issue I had with the 705 was the top end of the unit clattering on the head-end of the stem, if mounting on the stem (which is the neatest way). I solved it by sticking a  small strip of velcro fluffy stuff on the underside  :P   (but, I really shouldn't have had to do that for a bike specific unit, should I )

« Reply #28 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:54:46 pm »
You can see the rubber seals and the channels on both ports in this photo.

Each of the flaps is separate and attached by a screw at the base of the flap so you could remove / replace them.

« Reply #29 on: 15 January, 2011, 10:15:29 pm »
Thanks. Yum... might have to be a stealth purchase and hope Mrs Kunst doesn't notice.

red marley

« Reply #30 on: 23 January, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »
I just tried my new Edge 800 for the first time on an Audax yesterday (Willy Warmer). I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in the battery life. It barely lasted 9 hours before shutting down after a low battery warning (about 30 minutes from first warning to shutdown). By the time I had used it on the Audax, it had probably done 3 recharge cycles since getting it out of the box a few weeks earlier. So much for the claimed 15 hours.

Its poor battery life may have been due to me using the mapping screen throughout. But that is precisely why I thought the Edge might have the edge since you can now use the entire GB Ordnance Survey Landranger coverage on a single card.

If 9 hours is typical for this kind of use, it makes it a bit of a liability for even 200k audaxes. I will look at tweaking the settings to improve things. For example, wiping the rain off during the day, along with any other touch of the screen sets the backlight on for 15 seconds. I guess I also need to look at the PowerMonkey type options too if this is to be any use on longer rides. As it is, I may just stick with my trusty £80 Geko.

Simonb

« Reply #31 on: 23 January, 2011, 03:35:19 pm »
I just tried my new Edge 800 for the first time on an Audax yesterday (Willy Warmer).

There was another rider on the WW yesterday who had the same problem with an 800. No juice by the time he'd got to Winnersh.

Yesterday was my inaugural GPS Audax -- got a 705 cheap on eBuyer. Spent most for the day tweaking things only to reset practically everything back to the default setting. It's still going strong though.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #32 on: 23 January, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »
My 800 worked well yesterday. It did 90 minutes on the ride over to chalfont. Then lasted another 13 hours on the ride (had to put it on external power for the last 11km).

I have been pleased with the battery so far. I do run the screen down at the lowest backlight setting (still plenty bright enough).

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #33 on: 02 February, 2011, 07:06:38 pm »

According to Garmin when I spoke to them, the rubber covers are to stop dirt  ingress as the ports are wholly waterproof.

« Reply #34 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:25:11 pm »
As the 800 now appears to be more common, any more feedback updates?
Is it worth the extra spondoolies over the 705?
Problems with battery life resolved? 

« Reply #35 on: 08 February, 2011, 08:54:58 pm »
I'm very happy with my 800. Once data fields are set up moving between pages with the touchscreen is really easy even with winter gloves.I've not had any battery problems. By turning down the backlight I've been able to run it for twelve hours or so on 200km audax without difficulty. I've been experimenting with the portapow external battery pack fitted with two AA 2650mAh's and so far have managed between six and nine hours depending on backlight brightness. So I think this will work well for longer audax. My 800 came with the OS maps card and for me this was the real selling point over the 750. I sometimes struggle to see the track line but I think this is my eyesight rather than the unit. I really like the elevation page. For uploaded routes I can see my position on the profile. Compared to my old etrex vista C the 800 is great.

« Reply #36 on: 10 February, 2011, 10:08:18 pm »
has anyone tried it with Open street map Cycle ?

red marley

« Reply #37 on: 14 February, 2011, 10:11:08 pm »
Tried my Edge 800 on a 200km ride again on Saturday. From being fully charged right up to 10 minutes before I left, it lasted barely 7 hours before the battery died. Just as well I was using my Geko as a backup as this was a DIY GPS audax where I needed a record of my track. It also crashed once when my location moved from one mapping tile to the next.

I had the backlight on the minimum setting and barely touched the screen while riding. I didn't program a route in, so there was no power wasted doing the routing calculation. The screen was left on the map display for most of the time. Perhaps I have a slightly dud battery or perhaps the map display uses up too much power, but at present mine is simply not reliable or long lived enough to use for audaxing.

I really want to like the 800 - it is compact, but has a big screen, it uses LandRanger mapping, a good mount and the colours go perfectly with my bike. But this battery nonsense is really letting it down.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #38 on: 17 February, 2011, 12:18:25 pm »
Can you not turn the map off so that it's just an arrow, cookie trail and audible alert? The cold temps probably aren't helping but if you can't save battery by just having a basic turn instruction light up then there's plenty who'll have no reason to 'upgrade' from an Etrex or similar.

I'm still not sure what to go for; I'm not too fussed about mapping and would like to be able to eek out battery life by switching it off but at the same time I really want the training type functions/data.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

red marley

« Reply #39 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:51:44 pm »
Yes I could try turning the map off. I haven't investigated yet what the extra power burden is of showing the map display, but if, as it would appear from experiences on this thread, that it approximately halves the battery life, then that is pretty poor. Personally, I bought the 800 precisely because I wanted to be able to view OS Landranger mapping while I was riding. If this is effectively not possible on any ride over 6 or 7 hours, then the device is almost useless to me. My Geko at 1/5th the price can do the compass style navigation for 15 hours on a pair of AAA batteries.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #40 on: 18 February, 2011, 01:12:02 pm »
Touch screen model isn't it?
I found with the Dakota that the 1st few runs out, battery life was pretty poor, but this was because I was experimenting with settings and views all the time.
Leaving it alone once I'd found my favourite arrangement, it improved considerably (though still not in the Etrex C league - nothing is).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

red marley

« Reply #41 on: 18 February, 2011, 01:35:51 pm »
In my last 200 in which the Edge lasted less than 7 hours, I touched the screen maybe 4 or 5 times in total. My next longer ride I will try it on a non-map screen without much touching to see what the effect is. I am hoping that I just have a dud battery rather than the device itself not being fit for purpose.

« Reply #42 on: 13 March, 2011, 10:18:34 am »
(Not an Edge 705 but similar technology...)

I think it may be the extra CPU (and therefore extra power) required to constantly refresh/redraw the screen in map mode.

My Edge 705 has lasted 13 hours before, that was when I'd forgot to program it properly and wasn't able to use it to follow the route so I didn't have it on map mode.

Yesterday I had it on the map page almost all the time and it lasted about 9 hours before the battery low warning came on. I had my portapow thingy with me so it wasn't a problem at all.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #43 on: 13 March, 2011, 05:56:33 pm »
Map mode probably is a bit of a battery hit and a faster CPU (newer GPS model) almost certainly is, but even the newest Etrex Cs in map mode and track up (so frequently redrawing) can easily pass 24h.  I guess with the Edges you're just paying the price for 'small, neat and lightweight'.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll