Author Topic: Easy way to split GPX  (Read 2950 times)

Easy way to split GPX
« on: 05 March, 2011, 08:12:03 pm »
On my first Audax (2011 Little Willy), I was following the GPX on my Garmin 705.

It worked fine until I switched the705 off at the first control.  When I switched on again, it wanted to go back to the start.  Fortunately, I had printed route sheets as a back up (but also found a knowledgeable looking rear wheel....)

For my 2nd Audax, I thought I would have multiple GPX files split at each cafe stop.  As the organiser has kindly provide a GPX to use.  Looking at the XML in the file, there is no easy way to spot which track point is where.

What's the easiest way to edit a GPX using map sources?

On a similar vein, I'd like to take some downloaded routes but choose a different starting point along the route to the original author's.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Easy way to split GPX
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2011, 08:21:22 pm »
If you are using Mapsource, there are tools to concatenate tracks. To edit a track, perhaps to knock out some getting lost diverts, double click on the track to open the track properties window. Select 'center map on selected items' to do just that. You can then select/delete trackpoints as you like. Similarly you can copy/cut/paste trackpoints in/out as you need. What you cannot do is generate trackpoints with mapsource. To do that, or to be more precise convert routes to tracks and vice versa, I use free utility WINGDB3 (google for it).

« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2011, 09:09:04 pm »
I use qlandkartegt on ubuntu with my GPX files.

You only need to hover over the track at each point and it will pop up the date/time.  Doesn't take a second to search for that in the GPX file and delete every point above/below it (leave the headers etc ;)).

« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2011, 08:28:58 am »
Thanks folks

qlandkartegt looks like what I want (it even has a Gentoo ebuild :) )

« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2011, 09:23:52 am »
On my first Audax (2011 Little Willy), I was following the GPX on my Garmin 705.

It worked fine until I switched the705 off at the first control.  When I switched on again, it wanted to go back to the start.  Fortunately, I had printed route sheets as a back up (but also found a knowledgeable looking rear wheel....)

I switch my Edge 705 off at cafe controls and haven't had a problem with it starting again where it left off.

One time it did lock up enough that I had to reset it. That did knock the routing out but it recovered when I did "Stop Navigating" and then "Start Navigating" again. It took a few turns before it realised I was on the route and continued from where I was.

I always upload a track to display on the map as well as the route, that way if routing fails I've got the track to back it up. For this reason I also split up the tracks so that I don't have confusing tracks displayed on the map page (such as the 'Uts ride next weekend which is 3 loops from the start/finish).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."