Author Topic: Downloading Strava routes  (Read 4185 times)

Downloading Strava routes
« on: 06 October, 2015, 09:26:01 pm »
Is it possible to download a route from the Strava website that someone else has posted (and given you the link to) as a GPX or TCX file to use on a Garmin? If so, how?

I ask this as a complete Strava novice.

Thanks
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Re: Downloading Strava routes
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2015, 09:39:26 pm »
If you've selected the activity, click on the spanner (actions) on the left side and it gives you a menu of options.   One of these is to export as a GPX.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2015, 10:26:00 pm »
Last time I checked, downloading other people's strava rides as a GPX was a Premium-only feature - free accounts can only download their own rides.

« Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2015, 02:26:56 pm »
Does that mean I would need to have a premium account, or the uploader of the ride, or both?

I concur that at present, there is no option to export as GPX when clicking on the spanner as a non-premium account user.

« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2015, 03:06:39 pm »

« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2015, 03:55:09 pm »
Yoav, if it's the Manchester-Morecambe gpx you want, e-mail on manchester-morecambe@outlook.com and I'll attach one.

I hadn't realised that it wasn't possible to easily download them from Strava.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2015, 04:59:56 pm »
Does that mean I would need to have a premium account, or the uploader of the ride, or both?
Just you. It doesn't matter whether the uploader of the ride has a premium account or not.

Note this is specifically for Activities on Strava. If you actually create a Route on Strava, then any registered Strava user can export it as a GPX or TCX.

« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2015, 08:01:25 pm »
Strava to CRS     http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/vpu/
CRS to GPX         http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do

That's a very roundabout way of doing things but it works  :thumbsup:

And thanks Andrew, I've emailed you.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 09 October, 2015, 08:58:46 pm »
Another method:
When viewing the activity, click on the spanner icon, then choose "Create route". Then you can save that as your own route, and export a GPX from that.
Note by default the newly created route will use autorouting between the points. So may give strange results if its off-road, or if roads/paths are missing from the map.