Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754818 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #3100 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:47:03 am »
I'm going to have to pass this week  :(
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3101 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:51:45 am »

What about Saturday morning?

« Reply #3102 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:53:14 am »
Anyone out tomorrow night? I might be up for a shortish one from Witham.  If it's an early start it may involve food as well as I won't be back from work till 7.00 - 7.30.

Hmmm, probably not as I will be late home tonight and even later on Thursday night so I can't see a pass application being well received. 

However, a few Saturdays ago a few Witham yacf types invented a new concept that I was hoping to try again this Saturday (subject to Head Office approval) ...

Leave Witham at 0800hrs, ride 30 to 40 miles, meet WAGs plus kids in Witham's Weatherspoons at about 1030hrs for breakfast (*)

(*) 'spoons do alot of high quality fried food for not much money.  They also serve cheap beer at this time and we found a single pint was very tasty but didn't compromise one's ability to perform boring domestic duties for the rest of the day.  The WAGs weren't massively impressed but what the hell  ;D

Sounds like a plan but I'm out for the forseeable future on Saturday mornings. This Saturday I'm hoping to be about 150k in to a 400 by 10.30 and then we're in to school holiday territory with visitors, Olympics, holidays etc. Oh yes once we're back at school it's ballet and tap on Saturday morings. The joys of parenthood......

Maybe next Wednesday??

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3103 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:56:06 am »
Possible for next Wednesday.  I might ride back from The Smoke, not sure yet.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3104 on: 10 July, 2012, 11:01:24 am »

What about Saturday morning?
Will have to see if my back pain has done one and allows me on the bike by then  :-\
I also have a Saturday afternoon appearance to fulfil at the Chelmsford Beer Festival before visiting the Oakys for evening fodder   :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3105 on: 10 July, 2012, 11:03:11 am »
Oh yeah, I forgot about the evening.  Hmmm, I need to get some miles in this weekend, or I'll go cold turkey.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3106 on: 10 July, 2012, 04:41:24 pm »
More camping equipment arrived today, pretty much kitted up now......just need to work out how to load it all on to the bike  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3107 on: 10 July, 2012, 04:46:09 pm »
More camping equipment arrived today, pretty much kitted up now......just need to work out how to load it all on to the bike  ::-)

You'll be needing new panniers now!  Front and back.  That's probably another £250.  Think of it as an investment  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3108 on: 10 July, 2012, 04:56:09 pm »
You'll be needing new panniers now!  Front and back.  That's probably another £250.  Think of it as an investment  ;D
Yeeesssh, I am thinking the same but will offer the kit to the existing panniers first, right before they choke  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3109 on: 10 July, 2012, 05:00:15 pm »
Yeeesssh, I am thinking the same but will offer the kit to the existing panniers first, right before they choke  :facepalm:

No, no and thrice no.  You're missing an opportunity  ::-)   This is a perfect opportunity to kit yourself our with front and back Ortlieb, Carradice or Altura.  Remember you'll be carry kit for child and/or wife.  It's only money  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3110 on: 10 July, 2012, 05:29:11 pm »
Just had my pass signed for an early doors spin on Saturday morning.  My WAG isn't interested in 'spoons after as they are off shopping (blimey that was a lucky escape).  Anyone interested in setting off at 8am sharp???

PS - my road bike is in bits so I'll be on the roadified MTB.   Thus the pace will be slower and we have the option of finding some muddy bits if that appeals.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3111 on: 10 July, 2012, 05:41:46 pm »
Just had my pass signed for an early doors spin on Saturday morning.  My WAG isn't interested in 'spoons after as they are off shopping (blimey that was a lucky escape).  Anyone interested in setting off at 8am sharp???

PS - my road bike is in bits so I'll be on the roadified MTB.   Thus the pace will be slower and we have the option of finding some muddy bits if that appeals.
Subject to back health this sounds interesting, I may even be on the Crosstrail for a laugh.

No, no and thrice no.  You're missing an opportunity  ::-)   This is a perfect opportunity to kit yourself our with front and back Ortlieb, Carradice or Altura.  Remember you'll be carry kit for child and/or wife.  It's only money  ;D
Yes, it is under consideration and credit card has been warned, but first of all need to determine litreage of required panniers, e.g. would the Altura Orkney 34 be sufficient carrying capacity  :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3112 on: 10 July, 2012, 05:49:07 pm »
I have Ortlieb Backrollers. Not sure how many litres they are but they are plenty big enough. For a weekend by myself they will carry all the kit I need with a tent on the rack top. If you're going for longer or carrying for dependents you'll probably need front panniers too. I like Ortliebs cos they are waterproof, even when its very wet.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3113 on: 10 July, 2012, 05:56:50 pm »
Yes, it is under consideration and credit card has been warned, but first of all need to determine litreage of required panniers, e.g. would the Altura Orkney 34 be sufficient carrying capacity  :P

Depends what you want to carry in them :)

All my cycle camping has been with a pair of Altura Dryline 32s, so you'd already have 2 litres more than I have...

(These)

EDIT:  OD - the back rollers are 20L each for a total of 40L, so a bit bigger than either of the above.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3114 on: 11 July, 2012, 08:25:53 am »
I can also recommend Vaude panniers for waterproofness etc. the Germans consider them an upmarket Ortlieb.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3115 on: 17 July, 2012, 09:24:08 am »
Evening ride this Wednesday [tomorrow]?

OD - are you doing your ride from London??

This week I'm supposed to be 'tapering' before the M24 on Saturday; I think a gentle memwns ride counts.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3116 on: 17 July, 2012, 09:27:20 am »
Evening ride this Wednesday [tomorrow]?

OD - are you doing your ride from London??

This week I'm supposed to be 'tapering' before the M24 on Saturday; I think a gentle memwns ride counts.

Tom, I'm unavailable tomorrow night.  On the advice of Smoky yacfers I won't be doing any rides home from London for the next few weeks as the route goes right through Stratford.  Apparently it's going to get busy in that area.

« Reply #3117 on: 17 July, 2012, 10:18:29 am »
I'm not out this Wednesday. Have a leaving do I feel obliged (although don't want) to go to.

Might cycle home on Thursday night out through Epping but won't be setting off until 6.30 if you fancy OD?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3118 on: 17 July, 2012, 10:20:35 am »
Sorry matey, I'm working from home on Thursday  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3119 on: 29 July, 2012, 09:02:09 pm »
Good grief!! The dear old memwns thread languishing on page THREE!!

Book club on Wednesday, but other evenings are available... :thumbsup:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3120 on: 29 July, 2012, 09:55:12 pm »
I've had a txt yesterday from Chief suggesting Thursday. I haven't applied yet but it may be a possibility.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3121 on: 30 July, 2012, 06:22:04 am »
This week we are sans child so I could be avec WAG (in le fortnight we will be en France so I'm practising).   Thursday is a possibility, as is Friday.  I haven't run this plan past said WAG so I will keep you posted and see what develops here.

Mange tout mon amies and courage for the forthcoming week  :-*

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3122 on: 30 July, 2012, 01:03:34 pm »
On Thursday evening I fly out to Germany for the Berlin Beer Festival so will not be out to play on the bike at the end of this week  ::-)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3123 on: 30 July, 2012, 09:52:04 pm »
 :thumbsup: Thursday is ok... Friday too, maybe.

Venue?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3124 on: 31 July, 2012, 07:26:08 am »
Dunno yet. It was briefly mentioned last night but then the conversation got side tracked. Then we went to watch Batman. Anne Hathaway as Cat Woman ...