Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754424 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6700 on: 30 April, 2015, 06:06:47 pm »
Great, so Witham > Wickham Bishops > Pub.....we could even make that a fast one  ;D

Anyone about on Saturday afternoon? All the Tippers Ladies are going to see a show in Witham so I figure it would be a good time to go for a bike ride.

14:30 - 17:30 give or take.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6701 on: 01 May, 2015, 05:42:59 pm »
Further to a PM I sent out yesterday to everyone who was at The Compasses on Wednesday night (who have already seen the photos below) perhaps its time to confess I shamelessly defaced Huggy's much beloved new van while he wasn't looking ...

I'm sorry (a bit)  ;D   :-*

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6702 on: 01 May, 2015, 05:44:12 pm »
PS - I still think the Current Mrs Huggy could be convinced than "vanping" is a smashing idea!

« Reply #6703 on: 04 May, 2015, 05:31:18 pm »
Getting back to cycling...

Whilst riding the ECCA 100k today I bumped into somebody who it turned out was Jibber Jabber (sometimes OTP), who wasn't but happened to be riding along NCN 1.

He mentioned that he would be keen on joining in if we were anywhere near Chelmsford and doing a shorter ride/earlier pub arrival.  Maybe one for OD's 2 rides one pub idea he nicked from Portsmouth.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6704 on: 04 May, 2015, 06:23:43 pm »
Getting back to the van...  ;)
The fitting out of the team van has progressed to wall-to-wall carpets, as OD may have suggested elsewhere it's *shag* pile, but this is supposed to be a family project!  Version 1 of Carry-BikeTM is also installed and can be removed when bikes do not need to be transported.
Air bed & sleeping bag, tangia stove & cooking implements, water & meths to be installed soon.  A touring battery may also be installed at a later date.
First proper use will be for The Flatlands, it may get used for the Asparagus & Strawberries too, TBC.

Ok, so as some of you heard last Wednesday and as DL intimated up thread I have now taken ownership of a bike transportation and overnight accommodation vehicle which may also be employed as a team van on occasion (it has 2 passenger seats!).

Clearly the bike pictured in the back is not the intended way of moving bikes in the future but it shows how I got it back from the train station earlier.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #6705 on: 04 May, 2015, 06:43:45 pm »
Actually the van is more interesting at the moment.

I couldn't make out the ceiling mirror from the pictures.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6706 on: 05 May, 2015, 09:37:47 am »
That sticker has really finished the team car off nicely as well as the interior bike carrying stands of course  ;D  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6707 on: 05 May, 2015, 10:05:23 am »
When plotting the route for the Asparagus & Strawberries ride next weekend I noticed a road called Dogger Lane in Wells-Next-The-Sea, I'll do my best to remember to take a photo of the road sign should one exist just for you DL  ;D

The Retiree

« Reply #6708 on: 05 May, 2015, 10:09:12 am »
When plotting the route for the Asparagus & Strawberries ride next weekend I noticed a road called Dogger Lane in Wells-Next-The-Sea, I'll do my best to remember to take a photo of the road sign should one exist just for you DL  ;D

Yes please Huggy that sounds most excellent!  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6709 on: 05 May, 2015, 10:25:07 am »
Kirsty and I spotted said lane when we were up there a few weeks back and I sent DL a photo with the suggestion he moved ...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6710 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:02:26 am »
Ok, the proposed Witham Peloton route to The Compasses at GREAT TOTHAM
I have signed up to RideWithGPS especially for this sharing occasion so let me know if you have trouble downloading the route created in BaseCamp and exported to RWGPS.  The simple 'start going the wrong way' route takes in some well ridden roads and should see us in Gt Totham for about 9pm after about only 21 miles under the wheels. I have selected the direct do-not-pass-go route back to Witham to aid the catch up on sleep mode this week  :facepalm:
(OD will be absent as he believes we're off to Mersea for the evening)

The Retiree

« Reply #6711 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:11:53 am »
Ok, the proposed Witham Peloton route to The Compasses at GREAT TOTHAM
I have signed up to RideWithGPS especially for this sharing occasion so let me know if you have trouble downloading the route created in BaseCamp and exported to RWGPS.  The simple 'start going the wrong way' route takes in some well ridden roads and should see us in Gt Totham for about 9pm after about only 21 miles under the wheels. I have selected the direct do-not-pass-go route back to Witham to aid the catch up on sleep mode this week  :facepalm:
(OD will be absent as he believes we're off to Mersea for the evening)

Only one slight problem I can see thus far, the link doesn't work  :'( (or is that a decoy so OD doesn't know the real plan!?) let's hope he doesn't look on this thread today as it might give the game away!  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6712 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:14:27 am »
Only one slight problem I can see thus far, the link doesn't work  :'( (or is that a decoy so OD doesn't know the real plan!?) let's hope he doesn't look on this thread today as it might give the game away!  ;D
Please try again now, I was faffing around with RWGPS and deleted the original route I shared the link for, updated in the OP now, here it is again though  The Compasses at GREAT TOTHAM

The Retiree

« Reply #6713 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:20:08 am »
^^ much better thanks Huggy I see it is the customary MNH thrown into the mix.....

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6714 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:36:08 am »
of course it is, would you expect any different from me??!  :D

The Retiree

« Reply #6715 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:41:25 am »
Leave home, ride to the Compasses at Totham, ride back home.

It's a little different to the route Ted mentioned last week ^^  ;)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6716 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:49:41 am »

Then he added some licence in to the route planning of the arrow-esk event, I just missed out the dogging spots  ::-)

It's a micro arrows type affair next week.  You can add as many peaks/miles/dogging spots as you like as long as you end up at the Compasses at about 9 (Huggy wants an early night).

The Retiree

« Reply #6717 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:53:14 am »

Then he added some licence in to the route planning of the arrow-esk event, I just missed out the dogging spots  ::-)

It's a micro arrows type affair next week.  You can add as many peaks/miles/dogging spots as you like as long as you end up at the Compasses at about 9 (Huggy wants an early night).
I hope Ted may join us for a departure from Spa Rd then as this route is his fault doing! Any chance we may see the return of Fandango this evening.......  :o

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6718 on: 06 May, 2015, 10:13:22 am »
Compasses, Great Totham. I may be available this evening, subject to transport/chauffeur - will confirm later. Having looked at the forecast, I won't be using a bike.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6719 on: 06 May, 2015, 10:39:52 am »
I won't be out tonight....been laid up in bed feeling  :sick: for the last 2 days....

« Reply #6720 on: 06 May, 2015, 11:10:12 am »
It looks like perfect weather for a short one tonight.

I will do a loop from Mersea that doesn't involve TMNH or any of DL's haunts.

We may need a bit of time in the wind and rain to prepare for Saturday which is not looking too clever at all.

DL you should feel free to adapt your own micro arrows route perhaps with a few slow traverses along Hurrells and a couple of sprints up TMNH.  We'll wait in the pub for you.

The Retiree

« Reply #6721 on: 06 May, 2015, 11:13:53 am »
DL you should feel free to adapt your own micro arrows route perhaps with a few slow traverses along Hurrells and a couple of sprints up TMNH.  We'll wait in the pub for you.

It's a shame you won't be meandering with us this evening Ted, I'm toying with taking the Brompton this evening to mix things up a bit and you may miss having a good chuckle at me as I try and tackle TMNH......  :facepalm:

« Reply #6722 on: 06 May, 2015, 11:21:19 am »
I still wouldn't catch you.

The Retiree

« Reply #6723 on: 06 May, 2015, 11:23:41 am »
I still wouldn't catch you.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised...... 16" wheels and only 3 gears  :'(

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6724 on: 06 May, 2015, 11:51:32 am »
I'll be looping in via Silver End, with extra lanes depending on wind, rain etc, so I probably won't see you before the pub. Returning more directly via Witham.

Bringing the A&S start sheet, for your amusement - all five pages of it  :o