Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 420399 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1025 on: 18 July, 2012, 11:56:27 am »
I finally got my results through, I was third, though it doesn't sound quite so good considering that I was the only senior male there!

A podium finish, well done Mr. B   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1026 on: 19 July, 2012, 09:50:11 am »
Another very windy night on the UC108 last night.
Strong westerly wind blowing, gave us assistance for the first leg, in fact my first 2.5 mile check was done in under 5 mins !
However a time of 27:46 shows how slow I was on the rest of the ride !

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1027 on: 27 July, 2012, 02:16:58 pm »
W/C July 21st
Sat: Long steady ride
Sun: See above

Thu: First ever 2-up!
I was head-hunted by someone about 90secs slower than me. Kev's first 2-up too, but he had never even ridden in a chain-gang type setup, so I had a lot of explaining/bull$h1tting to do on the ride over, and didn't have high hopes for our team.
It wasn't the smoothest TTT ever, but we did more right than wrong. My PB on that course is high 27summat, and Kev normally does 27:30 on club courses, so 26:00 seemed like a decent time in the circumstances. Kev did far too much work in the first 5 miles, and - still being cautious after the weekend - I didn't reciprocate; until 6 miles, at which point I rode almost all the way back on the front.
Winning team: 22:41 - Fastest solo 22:54
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1028 on: 27 July, 2012, 02:59:01 pm »
58.43 in the National 25 today.  I've broken the hour, WOOOOOOHOOOOO!

That was a fast race, much as you'd expect!  Ryan Mullen won the juniors in a stonking 48.48 a

This is one of the total shitters about living where I live.  Imagine the total field is 30 people in a club TT.  Local TTs here often involve getting thrashed by the Welsh Road Race Champion, the Welsh Hill Climb Champion and a 17 year old in Planet X kit who happens to hold some British records. 

Yesterday I rode up to Holyhead to ride a North West Wales league 10.  I only had the Welsh Road Race Champion and the Welsh Hill Climb Champion to deal with this time.  I had a season's best of 26.21, which is the fastest I've been since the first accident last May.  Good enough for fastest lady. I'm happy with that time as it felt pretty good - my head was in the right place, which has been a rare occurance of late.  Apart from a bit of minor knee twinge and the distinct lack of power in the legs, it started to feel like it used to  :)

The only down side was that I was overtaken by my 4 minute man  :facepalm:  He did go on to win though.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1029 on: 29 July, 2012, 11:12:56 pm »
235.49 miles in the Nat. 12.  I managed to arouse some interest in the club after my ride last year, so there were three of us doing it this time.  Thankfully I managed to hold onto the club trophy by the skin of my teeth, or rather 1.5 miles.  As for the third rider, I suspect she's just set a new women's record.  Andy Bason rode a brave 300+ miles, only to be beaten by Nik Bowdler doing the same +1.

A grand day out, if rather a lot of hard work!

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1030 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:40:02 am »
Thanks!  I saw you'd entered the Breckland, I hope you find your mojo somewhere this week.  I certainly feel better having got the pre-race nerves out of the way.  I notice that Nik Bowdler is also down to ride too: what a glutton for punishment!  Wilko was being sanguine about his chances yesterday, but I bet he wants the comp record back off Jeff Jones.

I'm waiting to see if I've got into the Manchester Wheelers 50, otherwise it'll be no BAR set for me.  Not that there's likely to be any 'best' about it, as the rider behind me in the 12 has a 100 time 15 minutes faster than me, so I'd need to ride a very fast first 50 to claw back the deficit. 

That was the last Elmet 12 and nobody has volunteered to take over the event.  That's a shame, as it's a really nice course.  Anway, have 'fun' on the Breckland.

« Reply #1031 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:48:40 am »
Well done, Greg. 
 :thumbsup:
300 miles in a 12 is a long way to ride and not be the winner!  But 235 is a decent result for a mortal, and would have won my club trophy in any of the last half dozen years.

I'm not down to do a 12 this year (unless I decide to have a shot at the Welsh one at the start of September) but I am helping a clubmate who is targeting our club record in the Eastern Counties one so I can experience the fun without getting a time)

« Reply #1032 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:52:25 am »
Well done Greg.  235 miles is really good for a mere mortal over 12 hours.   :thumbsup:

Did your female clubmate set a club women's record, or a general 12 record?  How far was it?  Either way, well done to her.  :D

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1033 on: 30 July, 2012, 11:09:42 am »
She did 218.4 miles, which I *think* is a women's club record, though for all I know we had some superstar back in 1963 or whatever.  For a mother of two doing her first 12, I'm seriously impressed.  The men's club record is something silly, somewhere heading towards 280. 

« Reply #1034 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:48:25 pm »
Well done Mr Bunbury  :thumbsup: 
An Evening 10 tonight for me on the local VC Bristol course UC101 from Iron Acton to Cromhall, managed a 41 second PB - 25:45.
Quite good conditions, humid but the showers held off, cycled to the start so perhaps this helped as a warm up ?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1035 on: 01 August, 2012, 11:01:42 pm »
Went to a TT today. Quite a good crowd though rather a low turn out. Not a sporting course though it was a non standard distance. Some chap from Lancashire won with a german lad second.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1036 on: 05 August, 2012, 05:58:32 pm »
Got a 25 PB today - 1:00:32. 
25 seconds better than my previous best from last year.  I thought I might have had a chance to break the hour but just tired a bit on the last leg into the wind.
It was on the F1/25 (on the A1 near Sandy), the first time I'd ridden the course.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1037 on: 05 August, 2012, 08:44:59 pm »
Well done Frank.

Wilko did 317.9 miles in the Breckland 12 today  :o
To put that in perspective that's nearly thirteen 56:40 25 mile rides done back to back!

« Reply #1038 on: 06 August, 2012, 12:43:45 am »
Who needs perspective?!

« Reply #1039 on: 07 August, 2012, 01:55:45 am »
Well done Frank.

Wilko did 317.9 miles in the Breckland 12 today  :o
To put that in perspective that's nearly thirteen 56:40 25 mile rides done back to back!

On a mountain bike!
Working my way up to inferior.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1040 on: 07 August, 2012, 10:57:19 am »
Yeah!

Oranj has said in another parish that he's probably missed the trike comp record by 300 yards.  Gutted for you.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1041 on: 07 August, 2012, 02:41:21 pm »
Was he not using a (very light) hardtail MTB frame at some point? Or did I imagine that?!?

p.s. good effort Oranj! Better luck next year.  :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1042 on: 07 August, 2012, 02:51:22 pm »
... and thus are legends born!

(or urban myths, depending on viewpoint)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1043 on: 07 August, 2012, 02:57:59 pm »
Leg ends? I put socks on my leg ends.  I came 7th in the club's SPOCO league this year: maybe I should try leving my leg ends bare in order to save weight and move up to 6th next year.

« Reply #1044 on: 07 August, 2012, 04:55:43 pm »
On a mountain bike!

Wilko would be the first to correct you there - his bike is *nothing* like a mountain bike. It's a custom-built frame from Dolan, specifically made to his dimensions and closely matching a previous titanium frame which he broke. The only thing it has in common with an MTB are the V-brakes.

I stand corrected. I got my info from a spectator. Wilko definitely used to ride out to Broxton on a MTB, take off his saddlebag, ride a '25' then go touring for the day. He caught me for 4 mins once on that bike, doing a '57'.
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #1045 on: 07 August, 2012, 04:58:53 pm »
I always stare out the window at work about this time of day, and seem to despair at rain and wind. I don't want to go and do a TT in wet wind!!!

« Reply #1046 on: 07 August, 2012, 09:11:47 pm »
I always stare out the window at work about this time of day, and seem to despair at rain and wind. I don't want to go and do a TT in wet wind!!!

Crikey that was WET tonight !!!
A small field on the Severn RC Evening 10 UC186 - lots of water on the course.
I managed a 25:04 - 38 seconds down on my PB !

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1047 on: 07 August, 2012, 09:37:04 pm »
Well done!

Pity you couldn't have done 43 seconds ;)

« Reply #1048 on: 16 August, 2012, 07:39:53 pm »
Another windy Wednesday last night on the challenging Sodbury Cycle Sport UC108 course.
Sixteen riders turned out for a dry evening, after what had been a very wet day.

I finished 8th and was 3 seconds off beating my PB  :( 

But was very pleased with the time considering the windy conditions, the wind sock on the Badminton airfield was hanging on for dear life  ???

« Reply #1049 on: 16 August, 2012, 09:56:00 pm »
Managed a 3 sec course PB tonight even though it was windy- really pleased with that. Threw up at mile 5 and 7- had a headwind at the time so got loads of horrid splashback lol. I'm so classy.