Author Topic: Kingdom of the East Saxons 1st July 2017  (Read 11810 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Kingdom of the East Saxons 1st July 2017
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2017, 03:39:18 pm »
Just mentioned to my stepfather (Essex born and bred) who had a look at the route.  His comment: "Well, if you get a puncture in Jaywick, don't stop to mend it unless you've got someone with you to guard the rest of your bike while you do it."

:o
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #26 on: 26 June, 2017, 04:12:24 pm »
Tomsk knows all the nice places  ;D

« Reply #27 on: 26 June, 2017, 04:59:59 pm »
If I ride with (not so) Big Saxon again, I'll be safe!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #28 on: 28 June, 2017, 09:56:22 pm »
So, who's in?

I'll be on the 9.13 train out of Liverpool Street to Bishops Stortford if anyone else is taking that route to the start.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #29 on: 28 June, 2017, 10:52:11 pm »
My first 400. I'm nervous and excited in equal measure.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #30 on: 29 June, 2017, 06:02:21 pm »

You'll be fine. I did my first 400 last weekend and loved it... didn't think it could be "that easy"... I was expecting a long long slog and many swearwords along the way... ;D

« Reply #31 on: 29 June, 2017, 07:28:06 pm »
I start swearing (usually when on my own) when the rough roads get to me and my wrists!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: 29 June, 2017, 08:12:46 pm »

33 validated brevets, 5 DNFs last year. Entries up more than 50% this year - 60 starters? Forecast is looking good - rain should have cleared, sub 20 degrees during the day.

Looking at finish times, typically around 24-26 hours, or at least 2 or 3 hours longer than average for the Asparagus and Strawberries 400, over similar gently rolling terrain: accounted for by the candle-lit supper, bed-time story and sleep stop at 262km  ;D :thumbsup:.

And can I remind any fast finisher to wake up the snoring controllers when you get in [between sending out the tail end at 05:00 and the pub next door opening for breakfast at 9]!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #33 on: 30 June, 2017, 06:22:59 am »

33 validated brevets, 5 DNFs last year. Entries up more than 50% this year - 60 starters? Forecast is looking good - rain should have cleared, sub 20 degrees during the day.

Looking at finish times, typically around 24-26 hours, or at least 2 or 3 hours longer than average for the Asparagus and Strawberries 400, over similar gently rolling terrain: accounted for by the candle-lit supper, bed-time story and sleep stop at 262km  ;D :thumbsup:.

And can I remind any fast finisher to wake up the snoring controllers when you get in [between sending out the tail end at 05:00 and the pub next door opening for breakfast at 9]!

SOunds amazing... definitively in the "to do list" for next year

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: 30 June, 2017, 07:18:14 am »
SOunds amazing... definitively in the "to do list" for next year

Very likely taking a break from Kingdom of the East Saxons next year - [concentrating on ACME's 1000km for June 2018]. Saxons is a great route round Essex, though I say so myself - it'll be back.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #35 on: 30 June, 2017, 08:02:07 am »

concentrating on ACME's 1000km for June 2018

That sounds promising too...

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #36 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:07:32 am »
So, who's in?
I'll be driving over from Reading on Sat morning.  A quick look over the GPS tracks in Mapsource yesterday evening has whetted my appetite - lots of places I've heard of but not visited, like Hatfield Peverel and Shoeburyness.  Although not new to 400km, I'm a little bit trepidatious as I've not really ridden much this year.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #37 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:27:11 am »

A not-overly-lumpy 1000 in the AUK calendar is well overdue.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rob

« Reply #38 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:32:09 am »

A not-overly-lumpy 1000 in the AUK calendar is well overdue.

I'll have to say I'm interested.   The recent UK 1000s have all been super hilly.   I was toying with trying one in Europe next year but if something starts up the road then that would be preferable.

JB

« Reply #39 on: 30 June, 2017, 01:46:57 pm »
I am very excited for this. As per last year, I have every intention of waking the sleepy controllers  ::-) Though, my first ride over 140kthis year  :-[ ... so we shall see how I get on!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #40 on: 01 July, 2017, 11:37:22 pm »
The candlelit supper is now in operation, some randonneurs are sleeping, and some have pressed on into the night. Fortunately for all it looks as if tonight's rain will pass to the south of here.

« Reply #41 on: 02 July, 2017, 02:39:57 am »
We have snoring now. Those of a sensitive disposition are moving to the penthouse suite across the road. Just half a dozen riders left to arrive.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #42 on: 02 July, 2017, 03:08:24 pm »
A lovely ride with about two and a half minutes of very light rain, which did nothing more than cool me a little..

A large number of us got back before 9am, though some had to wait while the control transferred from the hall to the pubbbbbb...

This has filled in a little hole in my Styrava heatmap !!

Well done Tom and all the helpers, and my thanks to you all !!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

dod

« Reply #43 on: 02 July, 2017, 08:42:18 pm »
My first 400, and it was great fun (although small portions were type 2 fun). Many thanks to Tom and all the helpers, especially those serving the food at the candlelit supper. Also many thanks to Matthew, Bob and the other guys who helped me to stick with them and get to the finish by midday - I was looking for a good test of my abilities before LEL and you certainly delivered on that :)

« Reply #44 on: 03 July, 2017, 12:14:44 am »
My thanks to all concerned. The organisation was excellent. With the exception of Colchester, I'd never been to any of the other places. Essex has really gone up in my estimation. As for the ride, the first 170 miles went really well. My stomach felt a bit unsettled though when I got to HQ. The original plan was to push on after something to eat, but I felt that I needed to take a bit of time out. A couple of Rennies seemed to do the trick and after a bit of a mental battle with my head really not keen on getting back out for the last 85 miles, I did set off again. 30 miles up the road, just outside of Billericay, I had to stop for a bit of sleep in a bus shelter. Refreshed and with the help of a sausage roll, I completed the ride, spurred on over the last 15 miles by an experienced Audaxer who when passing me said, 'Your legs might have gone, but don't lose your heart as well.'

A very useful introduction to riding a 400. Lots still to learn and maybe one day, I'll feel qualified to deliver the same piece of advice.

« Reply #45 on: 03 July, 2017, 11:43:02 am »
As with others above, my first 400km. Thanks for this, Tom. Looping back to base is a definite encouragement for newbies like me.

Must give thanks to Peter and Pete, who were ECE'ing to 600k and totally dragged me around the whole of Saturday. I learned a lot from riding with them, really appreciate it. If you're here, hope you completed your ECEs (well done Pete on an Essex SR, and good luck to Peter on LEL).

« Reply #46 on: 03 July, 2017, 11:58:36 am »
Left home after 5am with a bit of a tailwind, the later start meaning more traffic (lorries) getting out of MK, and on the A507 (read local front page at Buntingford garage about villages on the route being delighted about the ban on heavy vehicles, and awaiting road re-classification). Took a flatter, shorter route going via Bishop's Stortford and the B1256 (avoiding Thaxted), and arrived too early (around 9:30). Thought about heading back to the café I saw Audax looking cyclists in, when Tom gave me the options, but tucked into the biccies and tea.

Set off in the bikey-mikey (bm) group, slowed down, caught up with bm on his own, chatted a while, another group arrived, and took turns pulling them along (there were more than three of us in that group, weren't there?). Enjoyed the veggie breakfast (I still like a 'spoons one though), with Alex (who displayed fast eating) at the biker café. I think most of that group bumped it (bm stayed for a coffee and quick chat). Left on my own. Enjoyed the scenery more at a slower pace (I like the Essex countryside so much, I've bought the ACME jersey and cap, with some friendly persuasion from the Straggler), but was caught by Michael and the WADA guy. Pace increased. Had a sarnie and drink at the Clare (lovely looking town) co-op, even though I still felt full after brekky. Set off alone, but was caught by Michael again. Had a bumpy ride along the old railway Valley Trail. Everything's a surprise as I never read the route sheet until I ride along. I did wonder what Burnt Dick (Turpin?) Hill was like. Had to get out of the saddle a few times (those compulsory mudguards weighing me down/causing drag). It was nice to see Harwich finally arrive (not visited since cycle hols abroad 25 years ago). I was tempted by the mac cheese (bm approved) but had the veggie lasagne. It went down a treat. Alex was already there, relaxing post meal. He left before us, then caught us (post puncture), on the bumpy, gravelly, coastal route. We stayed on the path all the way to the pier (did anyone take the faster road route, like the ones who took the A120 into Harwich?). I spotted the 'spoons and just had to have a pint. Alex and Michael were in better control! We left together and rode into the night, relying on the gps file now (to save using the head torch on the sheet). During the woody bit, the finish flag appeared on the etrex. The whole route was on bikehike, and I use the basic files (no turn prompts, waypoints etc), and have never had a problem. I was now reliant on Alex and Michael (quicker than night time route sheet reading). We had a quick pub stop (1/2 pint beer 5p cheaper than my 'spoons pint). We arrived at the candle lit supper around 1am. lovely spread on the table. I let the calorie loading settle, and listened to the snoring, while Alex and Michael had a shut eye.

After an hour or so, I departed on my own for the last legs. The climb out of Churchend was a grind, and I found myself going slower with every climb. The flat bit into Billericay was good, although I was passed by the Ilford Crest guys. Seeing riders in the opposite direction was a bit demoralising too. After the info control came the headwind (felt like 20 mph). I realised I would be facing it on the ECE home. Aargh! My walleted phone felt out of my unzipped coat, opened as it hit the road, and cracked the screen. Aargh! I turned right off the back tracking bit and punctured. Aargh!. Front tyre (the rear probably too) was shredded so the threads were appearing in places (rough off road sections?). Emergency old tyre went on. I didn't enjoy the wind or the climbs, and the Costa in Maldon looked shut, so I just got a bank receipt, and ate (as recommended by hellymedic) some more emergency shortbread. I was so pleased to finally reach he downhill back to Churchend, and tucked in to the veggie breakfast at the pub. Good to see everyone there.

Left at 11-ish, and only covered 20 miles in the first two hours. had a few rests, if only to get out of the traffic. Even after Buntingford there were loads of close pass cars, and I was surprised to see father and son (8/9 yrs old) on racing bikes in the opposite direction. The wind died a bit further on, but I still deviated through a couple of towns off the A 507, and used the bumpy cycle paths when back in MK. arrived home 5pm, after an arduous six hours. I need to look at a new (longer though) route to avoid A roads in the daytime.

Anyway, hats off to Tom for the route, the second day being more challenging than I expected, and to all the much needed helpers! 

« Reply #47 on: 03 July, 2017, 12:38:32 pm »
My thanks as well to Tomsk and team for a great event.  The middle-of-the-night TLC back at the hall was much appreciated.  Thanks also for company on the road / at controls from various folk, especially Twickenham CC David on the way back from Clacton after our W'spoons pint with a couple of cackling Essex Girls out on the lash...!!!

Essex certainly is a county with two sides.  Cruising through the rustling wheatfields, overlooking wide estuaries and the following peaceful coastline at Walton, Frinton & Burnham contrasted strongly with Harwich (very welcome Chilli & Sponge Pud btw), Clacton and the bits of Tilbury to Brentwood I came through on the way up.

Must give thanks to Peter and Pete, who were ECE'ing to 600k and totally dragged me around the whole of Saturday. I learned a lot from riding with them, really appreciate it. If you're here, hope you completed your ECEs (well done Pete on an Essex SR, and good luck to Peter on LEL).
Ough, was it you I was talking to re. lamp mounts at Billericay on Sun AM?  I hadn't really woken up by then so sorry if I wasn't making much sense!

« Reply #48 on: 03 July, 2017, 12:55:01 pm »
So errrrr yeh... thanks... we had fun  :thumbsup: ::-)

Very hard to place everything in the right order in my mind... we had a good ride round the 400km although brains slightly confused by the nice late start time. A bit more audaxy and less tlc than the national last weekend which would account for being an hour slower.
Harwich café stop very nice and cruising the coast to Clacton approaching dusk... candlelight dinner at midnight didn't help with the body clock before we headed out to finish the job. BP garage a welcome sight even if he was making it hard work for himself by only using the night hatch, a very welcome coffee and sit down however... getting back to base was a bit of a drag but the sky was already starting to turn as we left the Billericay. Home at 8am & demolished quite a lot of things within arms reach.

Lost one of our group and headed off for 40mins kip in the car before looping onto the Richard ellis 200.. which made for a very long and not too lucid day out... relentless sun & rather warm and seemingly never ending rolling fields ! 80km and ~5hrs duration in we came close to knocking it on the head but a bit of food & attitude re-adjustment. Was getting a bit worried for a Sunday afternoon before tracking down a late opening coop in Lavenham (?).... then back to more relentless rolling hills back to base... so roughly 600 total in a touch over 34hrs .. we're happy with that. Many lessons learnt and soon to be applied.

Thanks to Tom et al for the ride & support ... not sure i'll be too productive at work today  ;)

« Reply #49 on: 03 July, 2017, 01:29:15 pm »
our W'spoons pint with a couple of cackling Essex Girls out on the lash...!!!

We saw you chatting them/getting chatted up by them as we were getting ready to leave. We left at the right time! I was disappointed some of the beers were "available soon".