Author Topic: lighting with carradice sqr  (Read 2893 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
lighting with carradice sqr
« on: 09 June, 2017, 10:56:40 pm »
I just fitted my new sqr carradry bag to my winter/commuter bike, but it seems to completely obscure the seatpost, so I can't find a position that offers good visibility of my exposure tracer rear light. I have a leyzne rear which I can clip to the bag, but the run time is nowhere near as good.

Does anyone use one of these bags and what lighting set up do you use for night rides?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Re: lighting with carradice sqr
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2017, 08:04:16 am »
Rear lights attached to a bag are very sub-optimal.

The standard solution is a Smart Lunar on the seat stay. Some Cateye lights also fit the seat stay.

You can fit one each side for redundancy and to have one steady and one flashing. The R1 is currently a tenner on PlanetX, but they are old tech, known to suffer from water ingress and give up after a few years' all-weather use. The R2 is better, but not immune, and twice the price.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2017, 08:06:33 am »
Dynamo-driven B&M Secula mounted on the offside seat-stay.  I believe this is not strictly legal unless one has a light on the other stay as well, so I clip a Cateye battery rearlight on there.

+1 re bag-mounted lights. After an hour of riding behind someone whose rearlight bobs up & down all the time you feel like throttling them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2017, 08:21:37 am »
I always prefer a light that is fixed firmly to the machine, and in the OP's case I have used a front lamp bracket such as  https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-spares/busch-muller-light-bracket-for-caliper-brakes-short/  mounted to the rear brake bridge.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2017, 06:22:55 pm »
Thanks I will see about seat stay mounting, although the stays in question are so skinny most brackets will probably be to wide for secure fixing. also no brake bridge as such because disc brakes, but there is a cross piece for supporting the mudguard, perhaps this might be strong enough to support a light as well.

Dynamo-driven B&M Secula mounted on the offside seat-stay.  I believe this is not strictly legal unless one has a light on the other stay as well, so I clip a Cateye battery rearlight on there.

+1 re bag-mounted lights. After an hour of riding behind someone whose rearlight bobs up & down all the time you feel like throttling them.

pretty sure the law allows rear light to be either central or offside.

This looks like it migh let me mount my TraceR  using the eyelet fixings.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-spares/black-origin8-eyelet-stub-light-mount/

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2017, 09:34:37 am »

Modern lights are so powerful that it doesn't matter

Seat stay mounts are pretty common and work well but extra care is needed with water proofing, it's a very exposed position

I'm going to sell all my SQR kit, it's good but I have loads of alternatives that I prefer

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #6 on: 11 June, 2017, 09:55:05 am »
I'm going to sell all my SQR kit
Please PM me when you do - I have three Carradice bags and really like the way it can be easily shifted from one bike to another.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2017, 01:58:54 pm »
Thanks I will see about seat stay mounting, although the stays in question are so skinny most brackets will probably be to wide for secure fixing. also no brake bridge as such because disc brakes, but there is a cross piece for supporting the mudguard, perhaps this might be strong enough to support a light as well.

The supplied bracket with the smart fits on the rear struts of my recumbent which are 15mm diameter, how skinny are your stays?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2017, 06:02:14 pm »

Modern lights are so powerful that it doesn't matter

Power's the wrong way to crack this egg.  If you're going to attach a light to a bag, use an omnidirectional one, like the Fiber Flare.

« Reply #9 on: 12 June, 2017, 09:14:21 am »
Dynamo-driven B&M Secula mounted on the offside seat-stay. 
This is the set up I have on my commuter with SQR and saddle bag and it works a treat  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2017, 09:10:44 am »

The supplied bracket with the smart fits on the rear struts of my recumbent which are 15mm diameter, how skinny are your stays?
Finally got round to measuring them.   10mm.

« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2017, 01:18:52 pm »
Poundland LED rear lights have a belt clip for bag loops. Lasts approximately forever on a couple of alkaline AAAs.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #12 on: 19 June, 2017, 10:06:47 pm »
Looks like my old cateye may be pressed back into service. Should last long enough on was batteries.