Author Topic: Fairies Half Flat 200km This Sunday  (Read 2677 times)

Fairies Half Flat 200km This Sunday
« on: 12 June, 2017, 05:10:11 pm »
Has anybody received any info regarding this ride?
I have entered but have not had any emails etc from the organiser.

Re: Fairies Half Flat 200km This Sunday
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2017, 06:12:03 am »
Sorry in the delay with this year's info, I've been totally snowed under at work for the last few months and a lot of real life has happened this year, but things are improving now.
The routes are all being last minute checked (and gpx tracked) on Thursday and a email will follow after I've edited the part where a motorbike can't go, and there will be printed routesheets and gpx files available at the start.
All the best, Paul.

« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2017, 12:44:09 pm »
Thank you for the update

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2017, 10:00:10 pm »
Just to confirm that although online entries have closed we will be taking entries on the morning - hopefully without having to find change for too many £20 notes :)

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2017, 08:59:45 pm »
Don't forget the suncream . . . . . .

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2017, 10:46:53 am »
Big thanks to the San fairy anne CC helpers. I did the 300 for the second year running. This is a great 300, starting at 2am always seems a big ask but the time is forgotten pretty quickly as the opening section is on fast A roads that are practically deserted. At 100k the ride controls at HQ where you can dump lights and night clothing and eat some breakfast . I find it almost feels like starting a new event as you set out for the next 200 as it's now light and I was dressed for summer rather than autumn. The next section is laney and not super flat but still on very deserted roads, a village hall control at about 90 miles is at just about the most northerly point before the route heads south to the coast via a great well stocked control in a little layby at 200k. For the last 100k the temperature was hitting 30 but milkshakes at Dungeness and Hythe controls along with about 4 full bottles of water kept the heat at bay and the legs ticking over. I also started mixing in with riders on the 100k around Dungeness  and the ride took on a much more sociable feel with lots of smiling riders who had sensibly had a good nights sleep and just 40 miles in thier legs. Tea and cake at the finish topped off a great night/day on the bike.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:08:35 pm »
Real Life made me a DNS on the 300 this year, had planned to ECE it to a 400.
The Fairies usually smother themselves in glory with these events - a clever formula, good routes and nice catering. For future years if anyone looks this up - Londoners sometimes catch a train down and sleep in the village hall before the event. Works well for the 300 distance.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2017, 07:38:33 pm »
I did the 150 as a toe in the water for upping my distance. So well organized, I've no idea how they manage to run so many events on the same day!
Sweltering hot, but I still had to ride up and down Bethersden at the end to just get the full 100 miles.
After that, 200k seems perfectly doable.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2017, 07:59:25 pm »
Missed out on this due to other commitments, unfortunately.

The last time I did the Fairies 300 was in 2011, when it was similarly hot and sunny. I remember slogging across the SaharaRomney Marsh in those conditions being no fun at all. Chapeau to those who did it yesterday.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2017, 08:31:11 pm »

I still had to ride up and down Bethersden at the end to just get the full 100 miles.

Many of the 150k riders do this as a test/preview of their ability to step up to a full 200k.

It has been suggested that we add another 4k to the already slightly over-distance 150 so that everyone will do the magic 100 miles.

Thoughts welcomed. 

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #10 on: 19 June, 2017, 11:10:45 pm »
Tweaking the first loop would probably be the easiest option but at the moment it's just an idea.

« Reply #11 on: 20 June, 2017, 11:53:17 am »
this was my first 200km ride (previous furthest was about 157km i think) and what a ride really! lovely day, great controls, i was riding with a good group (penge cc if anyone saw us) and our average speed was pretty good given the heat. will be eyeing up the 300km as a possibility next year.

« Reply #12 on: 21 June, 2017, 04:13:31 pm »
I have to say what a really well organised set of rides, with fantastically well stocked control points (I especially liked the tin village hall and the 2 ladies sat behind a car on the roadside)

I did the 300km which is now my biggest ever ride which, considering I haven't rode over 70 miles in 2017, I am very proud of myself for.
I struggled with both the distance and the heat on the day and I am now, 3 days later, finally able to sit down without cringing. This ride was meant to be the restart of an RRtY attempt but atm I am unsure if I can dedicate the time to long rides every month we will see.

Well done all and Thank You SFACC

I have started a blog about my RRtY attempt.

http://adventuresinaudaxing.blogspot.co.uk/

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #13 on: 21 June, 2017, 10:37:36 pm »
Great day out.  We did the 100 on the tandem again this year.  It was rather warm.