Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL 2017: What is out?  (Read 2199 times)

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
[LEL17] LEL 2017: What is out?
« on: 26 June, 2017, 10:04:02 pm »
I've spent shit-loads this year on: train tickets to get to rides, bike parts (luggage, saddle, crank set and BB, rear sprockets...), accommodation (mostly camping so could be worse), clothing (can no longer get away with one pair of shorts and one jersey), and food (not in quantity but I've gone low carb which has proved good for riding and life in general but typical £20 shop became £30).  I have no complaints about the costs of AUK rides, or LEL.

So what is out?  I was planning on a B&M USB-Werk or an Igaro D1 to charge a little battery to make sure my phone is always fully functional.  More changes of shorts and jerseys in drop bags. A proper warm cycling jersey (I have a Howies top that will do).  Nice-to-haves rather than essentials.

What are you managing without, for reasons of economy, weight, or otherwise?  And what are your non-negotiable essentials?  Speaking of which I still need to buy a couple more sets of ear plugs for my drop bags... ;)
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Re: LEL 2017: What is out?
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:21:25 pm »
How many USB power packs could you buy to leave in drop bags rather than buy the other options?  I leave my phone off when riding and only switch it on to send an 'OK' text at certain points on the route.  At national 400 I simply texted my arrival at Aberystwyth and when I had finished.  Perhaps my mobile phone needs are less than yours.  Garmin runs off external power pack which is easily enough for a 600 without really denting Garmin.  For LEL I would have thought 3 power packs (Start and 2 in bag drops) would see Mr Garmin and phone requirement OK.

Spare shorts are always nice to have.  As for warm jersey, why not lightweight breathable jacket or gilet and arm warmers that offer more flexibility?

« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2017, 11:15:03 pm »
After much deliberation I've finally succumbed to swapping out the suspension fork on my MTB for a rigid alternative, at just under 600g less the weight saving isn't huge, but the improvement in riding position and handling with the longer steerer and lighter flat handlebars has justified the decision.

Along with a few other judicious replacements of parts with alternatives from my spares box I've managed to shed a total of 1.26Kg which just about takes the bike out of the "clydesdale" class whilst still remaining a very plush ride indeed.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2017, 02:07:50 pm »
Well, I'm going without a new bike, although my wife is convinced I'm getting there by replacing each part...front and rear derailleurs, saddle, tyre, chain, brake blocks. Added a set of tri bars and a new ANT+/BT speed/cadence sensor. Got a Giant wireless bike computer for essential ride info without having to worry about battery charging, thought about an ELMENT Bolt but can;t justify the cost. I only had one decent pair of shorts so bought a pair of Enduras and picked up an Embers merino jersey and base layer in their sale. Got a smaller power pack to better fit the top tube bag to keep the phone topped up for navigation duties. I've already got a Luxos U. Sold two seat posts and my Mio GPS unit to recoup some costs. Net spend on bike bits about £500 since Jan.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2017, 05:42:47 pm »
Veloman it's just a phone to keep going for me, I think if I leave it in 'plane mode and maybe get one more power pack for a drop bag it'll be fine. I'll use it for taking photos, and to have for emergency calls or map if lost. I daresay I won't have much time for facebooking, and there's no one who'll be demanding frequent updates.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2017, 06:46:40 pm »
Veloman it's just a phone to keep going for me, I think if I leave it in 'plane mode and maybe get one more power pack for a drop bag it'll be fine. I'll use it for taking photos, and to have for emergency calls or map if lost. I daresay I won't have much time for facebooking, and there's no one who'll be demanding frequent updates.

In that case I would invest in power packs for the phone that can also be utilised for non-cycling stuff.