Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 284417 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Full Welsh today.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Full Welsh on Friday, while we were travelling to Welsh Wales.

Intermittent Welsh on Saturday, mostly around the silly bike racing, though with some spectacular wind.  (With various streamliners falling over at low speed due to gusts.)  Tipped it down about half an hour after we finished packing up, which we agreed was Good Timing.

Suspiciously warm (wind notwithstanding) and sunny on Sunday, with a looming cumulonimbus threatening the 90 minute race, but deciding to skip Rhyl entirely at the last minute.

And of course lovely weather yesterday, which I mostly spent in a car...

Today seems to be a return of last week's will-piss-it-down-if-you-leave-the-house showers   >:(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
We had an unexpected shower yesterday - which I totally failed to observe when it was happening, around noon - giving us 1mm for the day. Bright and sunny again today and this afternoon I shall cut Pen's lawn.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Yesterday morning was variously (as described by my wife) spockely and stripey.  The afternoon was ok, even got a load of washing done and line dried by 7pm. Today, grey and still, and I will also be grass cutting later this afternoon.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
This week it has been Mostly Threatening but Largely Failing to rain. We've had a few spits and spots, but nothing that actually amounted to a shower. Trouble is, every time I look outside it looks and feels as if it's about to tip it down and so outdoor activities are unnecessarily curtailed. I just know that if I do go out on my bike, the mother and father of all thunderstorms will park itself over my head for the duration. If I don't, I'll have to water everything again tonight and go and do another uncomfortably warm Zwift session.

Well, you know what you must do to get the garden watered :demon:

Haven’t watered the garden or filled the pond for days now. And I am going to have to cut the grass again..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Little Tommy Schafernaker says it’s going to bin it down over the weekend.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Looking at the Met Office's map of rainy things, it appears to be mostly missing Southend.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Well, you know what you must do to get the garden watered :demon:

I did try riding my bike round the garden, but the resulting inevitable downpour was rather underwhelming. It started promisingly but quickly petered out. It was enough, however, to drive me into the shed for a bit of Zwifting. I managed an hour or so out on the bike this morning in reasonable, if chilly, sunshine, but this afternoon was another dark but mostly dry affair. A couple of desultory 10 minute spatters, just enough to discolour the patio brickwork.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I went out to water the plants last night, and it immediately started raining. We ended up with about 2mm. It was enough to persuade me not to do any watering, but I think the plants got less than if I had.

ian

My wife has a bandstand gig tomorrow on the Commons of Clapham, which is normally a provocation to the Sky Gods of Rain. Emmett's Garden last weekend was dry but I had to put on two coats to have a comfortable snooze. Admittedly, I was in Florence the day before and it had been 37 degrees.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Admittedly, I was in Florence the day before and it had been 37 degrees.
Were Dougal, Ermintrude and Brian with you?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Another 12mm yesterday. And today the rain seems mainly in The North, and over the Chilterns  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Admittedly, I was in Florence the day before and it had been 37 degrees.
Were Dougal, Ermintrude and Brian with you?

That would have been voyeurism!  :o

I recorded 8.1mm yesterday. From my siblings:

Sis in St. Ives (PE29): 10mm

Bro in Ramsden Heath: 13.7mm

Sis in next road: 7.5mm.

Sis-in-law in Condover has yet to report. She's probably with her daughter in Southport.

It’s varied between fine mizzle to full on deluge on Merseyside. Massive puddles in the road by my parents so the drains are overwhelmed.  All the front gardens tarmaced over for extra wankpanzer space.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

And bollocks.  I've got a dribble of water coming in at the back of the flat.   This happened last year & they were supposed to have fixed it  >:(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
We had a significant downpour this morning - 3.4mm in (I think) less than 30 minutes either side of 11am. Weather station reported "IT'S RAINING CATS & DOGS!"

Beardy

• Shedist
It arrived in Woodbridge at 12:30. Biblical wouldn’t be an excessive description.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

We had a similar downpour of biblical intensity just before midnight here in Rugby.  I was laying there wishing that I was in a tent.  I simply adore the sound of rain on the tent.

We were in Lerwick, Shetland in June 2010 and it rained in biblical proportions for 3 days solid.  Needless to say we hunkered down and enjoyed the experience.  🤣

The forecast rain cometh.
Apparently.

Softies, cardboard box, lucky! etc.  Here in Lancashire, with the exception of the first two days of the Old Trafford Test, it has been raining pretty-much the whole month.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
It's raining here again. Only a mm so far, and it's taken a while, so it's not audible rom where I am sitting.

It's been raining since early afternoon & feels quite cool, though the gadgets are saying 20C.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
A mere 16°C here at the moment.

I've been comparing this month to last July. So far this month, according to my device, there have been only 5 days in which the temperature has reached 25°C, and none over 30°C.

Last July there were 17 days over 25°C, 4 of 30° or more, and 2 over 35°C. I prefer this month, even though I've done a lot less swimming.