Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 284371 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
26.3°C was today’s maximum in Prittlewell.

Correction. 8 minutes after I posted that, my machine recorded 26.8°C. I think that's the highest October temperature I've ever recorded.

MONTHLY CLIMATOLOGICAL SUMMARY for Oct 2023

NAME: Prittlewell                 
ELEV: 20 meters    LAT: 51-32.95 N    LONG: 000-42.52 E

TEMPERATURE (C), RAIN (cm), WIND SPEED (km/h)

HEAT   COOL         AVG
      MEAN                               DEG    DEG          WIND                   DOM
DAY   TEMP   HIGH   TIME    LOW   TIME   DAYS   DAYS   RAIN  SPEED   HIGH   TIME    DIR
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 01   18.8   23.6  17:00   15.6  03:51    0.0    0.5   0.00    3.9   19.3  08:47    226
 02   17.6   21.3  14:52   15.7  04:36    0.8    0.0   0.02    2.2   25.7  18:16    135
 03   15.9   19.4  14:53   12.6  08:10    2.4    0.0   0.02    7.2   37.0  01:47    272
 04   15.1   19.2  13:26   12.1  06:13    3.2    0.0   0.00    6.8   25.7  12:58    266
 05   16.0   20.7  15:02   13.8  05:12    2.3    0.0   0.00    6.4   24.1  16:43    257
 06   17.4   22.8  15:34   14.2  00:49    0.9    0.0   0.00    7.3   27.4  10:35    259
 07   19.5   25.9  15:30   15.6  07:23    0.0    1.1   0.00    6.5   30.6  14:25    263
 08   19.8   26.8  16:08   13.9  06:57    0.0    1.4   0.00    2.3   16.1  16:28    262
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Yellow warning of rain for Furryboottoon. Amber warning for some other parts of Scotland.
What? Yellow warning and amber warning are different things? I have no idea which is meant to be more dangerouser.

I'm sure that has come up before.  I find it incredibly confusing, as in my mind they're effectively synonyms when used to refer to traffic lights or similar (I accept that amber is a probably bit darker when used to describe paint, gels, etc.).
Ditto about the traffic lights. Amber traffic lights are not, to my mind, actually amber. (To take us on a digression about traffic lights, the lights in the old Soviet Union were odd compared to everywhere else I've ever been; their amber was orange and their red was a darker orange. I like to imagine this was because some ideologue protested that "Red is the colour of progress, not stopping!")
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

It makes sense to me.
Amber is really orange, so the warnings follow the rainbow.
Red = worst (Arwen )
Amber =  pretty bad
Yellow = take a rain jacket

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It makes sense to me.
Red = worst (Arwen )
Amber =  pretty bad

Yeahbut they could just as easily call the middle level 'orange' and everyone would immediately know what they were talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
26.4°C here again so far. Another couple of hours until it starts cooling down.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Bike computer said 26 on the shady side of the street on the way back from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles just now.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
River Don at Kintore today.

IMG_5412_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_5416_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
It was 25.5C in my bit of Suffolk today, and a lot less windy than it has been. Very pleasant. Indeed, last night it was 19C at 11pm which meant that pre-Qatar GP (Chan 4) coffee outside was rather pleasant too!

Got a family funeral in that Southend tomoz, so I hope the 26C+ temps continue.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It makes sense to me.
Red = worst (Arwen )
Amber =  pretty bad

Yeahbut they could just as easily call the middle level 'orange' and everyone would immediately know what they were talking about.
Unless it was in response to lobbying from the Greengrocers' Federation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Currently 15.8°C in my garden, and causing me to be very sweaty under a lightweight duvet.

I think back to the infamous October storm of 1987. I had been to a meeting that evening and returned home in torrential rain at about 10pm. I noticed how warm it felt and checked my trusty max-min thermometer that I had then. IIRC it was 16°C which I thought was exceptional* for an October night. Now it’s commonplace.

*I hadn’t seen Michael Fish’s glib dismissal of a hurricane on its way, but I recall remarking to Jan “I think we may have a tropical storm coming.”

22C today. Tomorrow, going to plunge to 16C max.
Move Faster and Bake Things

ian

It can plummet now, I'm going on holiday this afternoon and it will be 27/22 for the rest of my week.

16/34 for me.
My sister in law tells me that it reached 37 in the village they are in in Tenerife. This is higher than midsummer!

This morning was forecast to be 9C but it is now 17C :o

Move Faster and Bake Things

TimC

It's tomorrow. It's 23C.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...

It's tomorrow. It's 23C.

It's currently 20C in Cambridge... can you send a couple of degrees this way please?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

TimC

It's tomorrow. It's 23C.

It's currently 20C in Cambridge... can you send a couple of degrees this way please?

Gladly! Doing some building work, and a couple of degrees cooler would be helpful...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
A mere 20.9°C today.

And wait! What?? Severe weather warning for rain? We haven't had any of that, in meaningful quantities, for about 6 weeks.

And.. a maximum of 11°C forecast for Sunday. January arrives early.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Little Tommy Nackertacker is promising heavy wet for the SE overnight Thursday/Friday and 12 C for Sunday when I have to stand around outside for long periods.  Bah!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
After a day of non-stop pish, the mains voltage just dropped below spec for the first time this academic year.  I think that means it's officially winter.

(Also annoyed about Sunday, where I'll be alternating standing around with rushing about, and dressed properly for neither.)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
The Norwegians think Hillingdon will be dry, clear and cool on Sunday. Fingers crossed!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
A small amount of inconsequential drizzle would be traditional for Hillingdon.  As would a reversible headwind.  12C would be fine if it hadn't been 24C last weekend.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Well, it rained a little earlier, but not enough for my device to measure it. There is a lot more forecast for tonight, but I'm very sceptical about the Met Offices's promises of rain.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Raining properly in SS2 at the moment.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Not sure whether it is or not in E17 but it certainly has been.