Author Topic: Horrible "artworks" people have in their homes  (Read 20695 times)

Re: Horrible "paintings" people have in their homes
« Reply #25 on: 09 April, 2012, 08:01:08 pm »
My grandfather had signed prints of these monstrocities all over his walls: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=russell+flint+paintings&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvnso&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=exyDT4b2N8v58QPqmq2VBg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CEsQ_AUoAQ&biw=1106&bih=837

BLECH!  I declined one when grandpa died.  We don't have anything on any of our walls cos we're dull and have no taste.

Christ! I'd forgotten about him. I can't decide whether he was sexist, racist, imperialist or just plain exploitative. (Probably the lot).

Certainly a breast man ....

« Reply #26 on: 09 April, 2012, 08:05:23 pm »
I'm too young to remember much from the seventies but do remember the Dali swans/elephants picture and also gold and silver thread wrapped around arrangements of panel pins (not sure what that sort of artwork gets called).

« Reply #27 on: 09 April, 2012, 08:09:50 pm »
I remember the first painting - Green Girl - cropping up in picture stories in Viz and is hung in the flat in Bottom somewhere I think. Did Hilda Ogden have a copy of it too?

« Reply #28 on: 09 April, 2012, 09:23:08 pm »
I remember the first painting - Green Girl - cropping up in picture stories in Viz and is hung in the flat in Bottom somewhere I think. Did Hilda Ogden have a copy of it too?

Yes.

BBC2 showed a documentary about it (years ago, on, I think, Arena).

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #29 on: 09 April, 2012, 09:37:18 pm »
I have a few Russell Flints inherited from a pair of alcoholic mad recluse relatives. Currently in storage rather than on display. Are they really that bad?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 09 April, 2012, 09:54:44 pm »
He didn't go for the Rubenesque figure, did he?

My wife's friend hates the picture in the dining room, but I like it.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #31 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:03:58 pm »
He didn't go for the Rubenesque figure, did he?

My wife's friend hates the picture in the dining room, but I like it.

That's 'The shortening winter's day is near a close'  by Joseph Farquarson.  His work is very popular for Christmas cards, understandably.  He was a superb artist who decided to make money.  I suppose it's kitsch in that it puts a rosy glow that's not entirely owing to the sunset on what is really a bitter scene.  But I like it and his other pictures. 

rogerzilla

« Reply #32 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:05:37 pm »
He was already a rich aristocrat, I believe, and only ever painted black-faced sheep.  This makes him an eccentric in my book and therefore good.

« Reply #33 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:07:53 pm »
Yes, a laird, and oddball.  If he hadn't painted black-faced sheep we'd never have been able to find them!

rogerzilla

« Reply #34 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:08:52 pm »
Here's another classic.  The people who had the swan picture had this one at the other end of their lounge.  I can almost guarantee you'll know it.

http://www.jhlynch.org/

« Reply #35 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:23:52 pm »
Here's another classic.  The people who had the swan picture had this one at the other end of their lounge.  I can almost guarantee you'll know it.

http://www.jhlynch.org/

Nope, not familiar. It does look like the rejected artwork for a 50s Hammer horror flick.

plum

« Reply #36 on: 09 April, 2012, 11:07:56 pm »
Anything and everything by Klimt. Tree of Cheese if you ask me. Although I do have odd taste, I'm looking for a picture for my living room at the minute and did for an instant consider it.

Although I'm not sure it's a 70s phenomenon, maybe it's just post-Ikea.
Confirmation: This very morning 100 yards down the road from my house there's a house clearance going on. All the junk dumped into the street on its way to a nearby skip and in amongst the detritus, several framed prints including The Tree of Life and The Kiss [I think that's what it' called]. Nearly picked them up for the frames but even they looked wrong.

« Reply #37 on: 10 April, 2012, 07:51:56 am »
Well so far so good, we've none of the above!
Move Faster and Bake Things

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #38 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:27:11 am »
My gran had one of a herd of white horses running through shallow foamy waves on a beach. I think the whole thing was tinged with green. I can't find an image of it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #39 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:38:52 am »
My gran had one of a herd of white horses running through shallow foamy waves on a beach. I think the whole thing was tinged with green. I can't find an image of it.

Is this the one?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #40 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:45:54 am »
My former place of employ had this on the wall of one of the conference rooms:

http://karinmiller.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Sea-Maiden-with-Coral_3.jpg

« Reply #41 on: 10 April, 2012, 11:31:38 am »
I have a few Russell Flints inherited from a pair of alcoholic mad recluse relatives. Currently in storage rather than on display. Are they really that bad?

He was an exceptionally skilled painter, who, IMO, wasted his abilities on dubious images. They are the hand-made equivalents of page three photographs in The Sun. A disturbing feature of them is that they feature Dusky Maidens in exotic locations. There is a hint of Edwardian voyeurism and eve sex-tourism about them.

The exotic girls are not all he painted, however. He also painted landscapes, which are often good. They aren't as easy to find, though.

« Reply #42 on: 10 April, 2012, 11:42:32 am »
Maybe the modern "sculpture" equivalent, my Mum has lots of these:

http://www.willow-tree.co.uk/categories/willow-tree-figurines/c-1-419/

which make me question her sanity.  Truly hideous.

plum

« Reply #43 on: 10 April, 2012, 11:50:51 am »
Oh yes, and bigups to all the shire horse lovers out there

rogerzilla

« Reply #44 on: 10 April, 2012, 02:29:31 pm »
Should we extend this still further to include Toby jugs and those Italian ceramic faces, whatever they're called - Fizzogi di Crappo or something?

« Reply #45 on: 10 April, 2012, 02:54:27 pm »
I think you should include by default most of the Pre-Raphaelites, Vorticists amd Surrealists.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #46 on: 10 April, 2012, 07:11:46 pm »
My former place of employ had this on the wall of one of the conference rooms:

http://karinmiller.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Sea-Maiden-with-Coral_3.jpg

Tasteful!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #47 on: 10 April, 2012, 07:17:05 pm »
Anything and everything by Klimt. Tree of Cheese if you ask me. Although I do have odd taste, I'm looking for a picture for my living room at the minute and did for an instant consider it.

Confirmation: This very morning 100 yards down the road from my house there's a house clearance going on. All the junk dumped into the street on its way to a nearby skip and in amongst the detritus, several framed prints including The Tree of Life and The Kiss [I think that's what it' called]. Nearly picked them up for the frames but even they looked wrong.

Plum, it's not confirmation of anything, except that they had a picture by Klimt!  Unless you meant it's not a 70s phenomenon, etc.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #48 on: 10 April, 2012, 07:19:36 pm »
Slightly OT, but I once had the slightly discombobulating experience of going with a friend to a cafe in York which used to display pictures for sale by local artists on their walls, and realising that I recognised one of the paintings of nekkid ladies on the wall...

Fortunately it wasn't particularly recognisable to the uninformed eye.

plum

« Reply #49 on: 10 April, 2012, 07:27:02 pm »

Plum, it's not confirmation of anything, except that they had a picture by Klimt!  Unless you meant it's not a 70s phenomenon, etc.
haha, you've got one haven't you. Bet it's in the dining room so that dinner guests can make small talk about it over the cheese and pineapple entrées, just before you bring out the duck a l'orange.