Author Topic: Horrible "artworks" people have in their homes  (Read 20693 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Horrible "paintings" people have in their homes
« Reply #50 on: 10 April, 2012, 07:30:34 pm »
Mrs. Wow's sister & her husband have an original Lowry in their house. It's a pencil drawing about 6" square. I've no idea how much it cost them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #51 on: 10 April, 2012, 07:36:14 pm »
Slightly OT, but I once had the slightly discombobulating experience of going with a friend to a cafe in York which used to display pictures for sale by local artists on their walls, and realising that I recognised one of the paintings of nekkid ladies on the wall...

Fortunately it wasn't particularly recognisable to the uninformed eye.

which cafe?
 :demon:

« Reply #52 on: 10 April, 2012, 07:39:44 pm »
Anything and everything by Klimt. Tree of Cheese if you ask me. Although I do have odd taste, I'm looking for a picture for my living room at the minute and did for an instant consider it.

Although I'm not sure it's a 70s phenomenon, maybe it's just post-Ikea.
Confirmation: This very morning 100 yards down the road from my house there's a house clearance going on. All the junk dumped into the street on its way to a nearby skip and in amongst the detritus, several framed prints including The Tree of Life and The Kiss [I think that's what it' called]. Nearly picked them up for the frames but even they looked wrong.

Plum, it's not confirmation of anything, except that they had a picture by Klimt!  Unless you meant it's not a 70s phenomenon, etc.
haha, you've got one haven't you. Bet it's in the dining room so that dinner guests can make small talk about it over the cheese and pineapple entrées, just before you bring out the duck a l'orange.

Close!  We live in an end-terrace in Rochdale and are vegetarian! (Pictures of Lake District on the wall.)  I do like Klimt but I wouldn't want one on the wall - too bright, man!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Horrible "artworks" people have in their homes
« Reply #53 on: 10 April, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »
"Love is..." prints.  Sometimes you couldn't tell the parodies from the real thing  :sick:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #54 on: 10 April, 2012, 08:14:57 pm »
My gran had one of a herd of white horses running through shallow foamy waves on a beach. I think the whole thing was tinged with green. I can't find an image of it.

Is this the one?
No.

My former place of employ had this on the wall of one of the conference rooms:

http://karinmiller.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Sea-Maiden-with-Coral_3.jpg

Gosh. Is that why you left?

My mum has a lot of the Lilliput Lane things. She's particularly fond of Preston Mill.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

« Reply #55 on: 10 April, 2012, 08:35:23 pm »
"Viz" did a spoof Sunday supplement-style advert for, and actually produced, "No.12 Shit Street", a council house parody of the Lilliput Lane cottages.  It had a little satellite dish, a mattress in the garden and some graffiti.

I have never understood why the main outlet for Lilliput Lane seems to be W H Smith shops at motorway service stations.  Maybe they have a symbiotic relationship with jazz mags.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #56 on: 10 April, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »
I'm very fond of the spoof adverts in Viz. It's upsetting to know that the Elvis Tutankhamen Dambusters clock isn't really real.

rogerzilla

« Reply #57 on: 10 April, 2012, 08:51:17 pm »
But it is!  They made the clock, No.12 Shit Street and one from the Life Of Christ In Cats or the Princess Diana Full English Breakfast Of Hope plates, I can't remember which.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #58 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:03:10 pm »
Is it really real? Oh, that's cheered me up no end. Is the Queen Mother's commemorative teeth real too?

plum

« Reply #59 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:09:45 pm »
My gran had one of a herd of white horses running through shallow foamy waves on a beach. I think the whole thing was tinged with green. I can't find an image of it.

Is this the one?
No.

How about this one then, it's got a bit of green in it?

rogerzilla

« Reply #60 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:10:58 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viz-Comic-The-Life-Christ-Cats-commemorative-plate-very-rare-/220994075417?pt=UK_Collectables_Plates_RL&hash=item337445fb19

I'm sure the others pop up on eBay occasionally; they made a few hundred of each, I think.  Not the Queen Mum's mouth of burnt chips, though.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #61 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:16:54 pm »
How about this one then, it's got a bit of green in it?

No, the whole thing was greenish, even the sky and the white of the horses and the waves. The horses, I think, were facing the viewer and were running from the back left to front right of the picture (but I might be wrong about that). There were quite a few of them and they were emerging from the sea, so the waves were probably only ankle-deep on them, and the waves were very foamy.

« Reply #62 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:18:53 pm »
Kirst, I know the picture you mean but don't know how to find it (perhaps fortunately!)

« Reply #63 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:21:00 pm »
My grandfather had signed prints of these monstrocities all over his walls: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=russell+flint+paintings&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvnso&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=exyDT4b2N8v58QPqmq2VBg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CEsQ_AUoAQ&biw=1106&bih=837

BLECH!  I declined one when grandpa died.  We don't have anything on any of our walls cos we're dull and have no taste.
But they're tastefuk, en't they? You can tell, 'cos they en't got no pubes & they all look as if they've 'ad boob jobs.

Since none of them look real, I presume he only used models so he could lech.

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #64 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:24:19 pm »
Kirst, I know the picture you mean but don't know how to find it (perhaps fortunately!)
Can you describe it any better than I have?

« Reply #65 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:25:13 pm »
Nude women are only Art if there's an urn in it. - F. Colon. Sgt. AMCW.

I spend six hours a week staring at naked women

It could be worse.
Will one of the forum Photoshop experts please add a WC and a copy of the Auto Trader to that?

It's a classic life class pose.
The toilet pose.
Good models are more imaginative.....  and better.
When I did it I stood (usually) or sat or whatever however they asked my to. I soon learned what poses would be hard to maintain, & to ask for changes to make them easier to hold. I was surprised how physically demanding holding a pose can be.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #66 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:28:08 pm »
I have a few Russell Flints inherited from a pair of alcoholic mad recluse relatives. Currently in storage rather than on display. Are they really that bad?

He was an exceptionally skilled painter, who, IMO, wasted his abilities on dubious images. They are the hand-made equivalents of page three photographs in The Sun. A disturbing feature of them is that they feature Dusky Maidens in exotic locations. There is a hint of Edwardian voyeurism and eve sex-tourism about them.

The exotic girls are not all he painted, however. He also painted landscapes, which are often good. They aren't as easy to find, though.
Not all his girls were exotic. Perhaps the Dusky Maidens sold better.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #67 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:31:35 pm »
In the 60's and 70's, we had a 3ft x 4ft print of this as the centrepiece of our living room!!    :facepalm:

This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #68 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:35:42 pm »
I have a few Russell Flints inherited from a pair of alcoholic mad recluse relatives. Currently in storage rather than on display. Are they really that bad?

He was an exceptionally skilled painter, who, IMO, wasted his abilities on dubious images. They are the hand-made equivalents of page three photographs in The Sun. A disturbing feature of them is that they feature Dusky Maidens in exotic locations. There is a hint of Edwardian voyeurism and eve sex-tourism about them.

The exotic girls are not all he painted, however. He also painted landscapes, which are often good. They aren't as easy to find, though.

He did a really atmospheric one of traction engines, I seem to remember.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #69 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:40:26 pm »

Have you looked in the loft?
It is simpler than it looks.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #70 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:44:53 pm »

He did a really atmospheric one of traction engines, I seem to remember.
I think you'll find that that was J.H. Lynch who painted the young lady that I grew up with above.

This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #71 on: 10 April, 2012, 10:00:09 pm »
Can you describe it any better than I have?

I think that I too know which one you mean*, but I got too depressed looking through Google Images for it. 

*Your description is close to one that I remember.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #72 on: 11 April, 2012, 12:14:16 am »
On a contemporary note, I nominate Swarovski crystal. Or is Svarowski? Inconsistent either way.

I've never heard of most of the artists mentioned here (apart from Athena and Viz, of course!) but it strikes me that - stating the obvious, really - a lot of this stuff is simply prOn dolled up as sophistication.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

« Reply #73 on: 11 April, 2012, 06:43:31 am »
Swarovski ornaments are both rather nasty, especially when they add a bit of colour, and very expensive.  I have no idea who buys them.

Has anyone actually had three flying ducks on their wall?

« Reply #74 on: 11 April, 2012, 07:20:03 am »
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the modern equivalent. The two-tone prints of iconic figures, often associated with violence or death in tragic circumstances, 'Get Carter' posters 4 feet across, or Amy Winehouse in two clashing colours. There's a couple of shops on every high street, between the numerous hairdressers and pie shops, always with that image of an urchin flicking a V sign, which I think might be from 'Kes', or might not.