Author Topic: idiot Q - using someone elses GPX file  (Read 10335 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: idiot Q - using someone elses GPX file
« Reply #25 on: 20 November, 2008, 02:39:12 pm »
But, I could be massively missing the point and you're all reading this thinking "this bloke's as thick as a whale sandwich!"    ;D

Neither missing the point nor thick, as far as I can see.

Your method still sounds over-complicated and over-reliant on the GPS directing you properly though.

Thanks Dave.  My method is a little time consuming but not complicated.  If you sprinkle enough waypoints around the machine does as its told.  If the auto routing on Mapsource chucks a wobbler then I assume the GPS will do the same so fix the problem on my PC with an extra waypoint or two.  

I don't mind the time it takes to plot a route as its a good opportunity to get to know the area you're going to cycle through before the ride - another reason I always use an OS map.

I too think its interesting how different people are approaching the same task in such different ways.

Chris S

« Reply #26 on: 20 November, 2008, 02:47:06 pm »
I haven't used my GPS for an audax yet but I have used it for long routes.

Whereas this is pretty much all I use mine for - hence the difference in approach methinks.

An audax always comes with a blow-by-blow instruction sheet that needs interpretation. A long (non-prescribed) A -to B route is completely different, and I would work in an entirely different way when doing that, probably much more along the lines of that you describe.

Horses for courses.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #27 on: 20 November, 2008, 02:54:56 pm »
Green is a very good colour for Tracks because there's almost nothing else in that colour on the Mapsource maps.  Its easier to set in Mapsource (IMO) than in the GPS.  Route colour can only be changed in the GPS (and only in recent models).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #28 on: 20 November, 2008, 03:11:35 pm »
I generally use a route-plotting method very similar to Chris S's.
(Have you noticed that WinGDB3 is still called WinGDB3 but the latest download (beta) has a few new options to play with)

3. Then I join them up using the routing tool.  Sometimes you have to switch to "Use direct Routes" as the auto routing option can get confused.  You can switch it on and off as you want.

I have to say this looks a bit dicey to me.  I think its safer to stick to one methodology or the other when planning - 'cos one thing's for sure, that's all your GPS is going to do when following it.
(Exception: I quite often switch into 'Follow Road' in Mapsource just to check for 1-way systems going through a town, but having checked would undo that section and re-plot it in Direct mode as usual.)

Actually though, I'm more and more using Google Maps for planning and Mapsource just for tidying things and uploading to GPS.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #29 on: 20 November, 2008, 03:39:29 pm »
Actually though, I'm more and more using Google Maps for planning and Mapsource just for tidying things and uploading to GPS.

Exactly what i do.

The Mechanic

« Reply #30 on: 20 November, 2008, 04:34:05 pm »
My head hurts now :'(